Gransnet forums

Travel

Has anyone changed their travelling plans ...

(141 Posts)
jura2 Wed 06-Mar-19 16:24:47

... due to current uncertainties?

DoraMarr Thu 07-Mar-19 07:26:54

I’m going to Spain via France at the beginning of April. The Foreign Office advises checking their website for any advice as: “If there is no EU Exit deal, you will need to take new action before travelling to an EU destination.”
There is no indication on their website as to what form this new action might take.

JackyB Thu 07-Mar-19 07:29:25

My sister needs me to go and stay with our Mum at the end of May. I haven't booked yet because of so many uncertainties, partly not knowing whether I shall be still working and whether I'll get time off, partly because I don't know whether Mr O'Leary will keep my flight route operating after Brexit, what the position with entering and leaving the EU will be.

I still don't understand what I have to do about living in the EU if they introduce this Esta type charge. Do I have to pay the €8 every morning when I get up? I got German nationality a couple of weeks ago (after living here for over 40 years) Can I enter Britain with my British passport and come back on the German one?

Trip to the US in comparison throws up far fewer questions. I shall apply for Esta on my new German passport and once we're there (in the "Californian bubble" as my DiL calls it), the only thing that matters is our DGS who we shall have to ourselves for a week.

Anja Thu 07-Mar-19 07:47:12

Oh no! Are we to be stopped and searched at borders? Turned back by EU officials? Held back from returning to the UK because we lack a certain document?

TwiceAsNice Thu 07-Mar-19 08:23:17

We had planned to go to France for May spring holiday. We have booked our usual holiday flat ( we go twice a year) but don’t need to pay yet. We are not booking ferry until after brexit date until we know there won’t be a problem, I’d theye is we can just cancel flat and not be out of pocket. I’m very cynical there will be difficult document changes whatever happens

MargaretX Thu 07-Mar-19 08:51:38

You need your own Health insurance as the EU one is not valid anymore. Also international driving licence.
Go ahead and go abroad why not?

MargaretX Thu 07-Mar-19 08:57:27

JackyB You can use your German passport entering into Germany and the British entering to Britain. BUT according to the passport control there maybe a queue at NON EU passports, so you can take your German pass.

P.S. you are German because you were born there or have a German mother or father.

Gute Reise!

Missfoodlove Thu 07-Mar-19 09:53:42

Going to Portugal on the 26/3 for a week so we’re returning post Brexit.
I will be travelling on an Irish passport my husband a UK one.
If there are any problems then the authorities are to blame, it’s not as though it was unexpected.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Mar-19 09:56:41

Nope & we’ve booked flights to Malaga on 2 April for a month.
?

Anniet Thu 07-Mar-19 10:29:54

Look on the BBC Reality Check website - they have some useful information. Also look up what Simon Calder (Travel Writer for the Independent) has to say. It should be fine.

Teetime Thu 07-Mar-19 10:32:48

Rome for us in May cant wait.

Deni1963 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:33:12

Paris booked mid April - not anticipating any problems.

BusterTank Thu 07-Mar-19 10:43:39

I'm holding off booking a holiday until after brexit . Just so I know I will actually be going .

Jalima1108 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:54:59

Just make sure, as usual, that your travel company (if you use one) is a member of ABTA or one of the other reputable associations.

David1968 Thu 07-Mar-19 10:55:38

Certainly at least two "lots" of our family members are holding back on flight bookings until they see what happens after Brexit. DH & I haven't made any plans yet either; this is indirectly due to Brexit - our plans will be dependent on what the others do......

anitamp1 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:15:20

Have booked two holidays to Italy in early summer and autumn. Think it sensible to book with proper travel companies so we are protected if there is an issue. But can't put our lives on hold.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 07-Mar-19 11:19:28

Just booked flights to Amsterdam in May and a hotel for a week so we can go cycling, safely. Done it because no one knows what is going to happen and life is to short , anyway I think there will be either a delay or a very soft brexit.

JackyB Thu 07-Mar-19 11:20:42

I was neither born here nor do I have a drop of German blood, Margaret, but I have lived here and paid taxes, and been married to a German for over 40 years, and have also produced 3 little Germans (who are now grown men). (The boys have had dual nationality from birth)

Craftycat Thu 07-Mar-19 11:22:51

Of course not. Off to Greece in July- can't wait!

JackyB Thu 07-Mar-19 11:23:59

I can't imagine that there will be a complete cut-off on the 29th - it would be impossible to implement. No one will know what to do.

But I don't trust O'Leary.

Jessity Thu 07-Mar-19 11:36:54

We haven't changed our plans at all, why should we? If it happens, it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't and we'll deal with whatever is needed.

Off to south-west France for Easter and New York as usual in May to visit family and now planning New York and Florida in September/October.

Annaram1 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:37:16

Ginny, I've been to the Galapagos Islands. they are wonderful and so unique. I adored the tame animals. Have a wonderful time. If you are going to cruise around the islands take travel pills as I did. One or two of the party were quite seasick. Sea can get rough and I nearly rolled out of bed, also having a shower was difficult and I had to hold on to the shower or I would have fallen over. Lucky you, have a wonderful holiday.

BRedhead59 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:43:10

I go to Finland 2/3 times a year. Just returned going again in June. No choice so will go and see how I get on. I'm expecting additional border wait at least.
We also have a camper van and often go to Europe - not this year though, going to Forest of Dean and Wales etc We'll see how it pans out - what a mess it all is. I blame Farage.

annette18 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:47:40

Granddaughter going on 5 day trip to France on Brexit day by coach with school, very excited,

GabriellaG54 Thu 07-Mar-19 11:48:05

No changes here either. I'm going on a driving holiday along the Amalfi Coast and Capri and, later in the year to NZ.

Sophrosyne Thu 07-Mar-19 11:49:23

Nope. Greek islands x 2 as usual. However, signed up for Gov.uk travel alerts for many years - even more pertinent in the current climate - so advised of the new requirement of six months left on passport for travel in the EU in good time.
www.passport.service.gov.uk/check-a-passport