Gransnet forums

Travel

Vienna - advice please

(42 Posts)
JessK Fri 27-Sep-19 11:36:10

We have just booked a short break in Vienna. Any recommendations for places not to miss on our visit? We are staying in the centre of the city.

Temas Sat 28-Sep-19 14:59:02

Definitely Cafe Central and Prater Wheel. We booked a couple of guided walking tours and ended up having a guide just to ourselves. They were wonderful - we’d never have seen so much and learnt so much. Great city. Enjoy.

SandraF Sat 28-Sep-19 15:03:38

We enjoyed the outdoor market and the Prater Wheel.

Joplin Sat 28-Sep-19 15:17:40

Remember Hotel Sacker & the fabulous Sackertorte from my honeymoon, back in the 60's. My daughter ordered some for me a few years ago - still delicious. The other part of the honeymoon was Salzburg. As it was February it was thick with snow & absolutely magical - well worth a visit.

Joplin Sat 28-Sep-19 15:19:22

Misprint - " Sacher "

Mumi Sat 28-Sep-19 16:24:49

The Naschmarkt is good to visit for the atmosphere and to try out specialities. I really enjoyed cheese, cakes, spiced sausage and wine. A walk through Stadtpark with monuments to musicians, eat Sachertorte in the Hotel Sacher, Belvedere for Klimt fans and the Albertina gallery, the Spanish Riding School. I could easily have spent 4+ days there. Have fun!

Annanan Sat 28-Sep-19 16:54:17

I agree about the Third Man. In the winter when it’s dark and the streets are wet, you just feel yourself to be back in the 40s with the danger and ruination of a beautiful city. I loved it. Go to the Palace and the Spanish Riding School and eat, eat, eat!

NannyC2 Sat 28-Sep-19 16:58:37

Schönbrunn Palace

Ellianne Sat 28-Sep-19 17:51:35

Definitely the Spanish Riding School and Schönbrunn Palace. Also if you get the chance watch a Marionettenspiel, so magical and enchanting.

Snowbell Sat 28-Sep-19 20:42:38

Don't laugh but the incinerator is well worth seeing! It's at Spittelau and is very ornate

JessK Sat 28-Sep-19 21:27:27

Thank you all so much for your tips and suggestions. Really looking forward to our visit next month.

H1954 Sun 29-Sep-19 08:55:00

Yes, Curlywirly, we bought our tickets outside the Cathederal from a man in period costume. He gave us a huge discount for four pensioners one of which was a mature student. The venue was down a side street but stunning inside! There was also a free CD for each one in the audience! Fabulous event!

LuckyFour Sun 29-Sep-19 13:02:53

There's a tram you can get which does a circular tour of the city. Do try to find it as it will help you get your bearings. The roads don't seem to go in straight lines they go round in circles around and within the city. Make sure you have a very good map.

The cake is amazing.

Immiesnana Sun 29-Sep-19 16:46:58

If you have time to go a short way out of the city I suggest you visit a heurige .
www.wien.info/en/shopping-wining-dining/wine/heurige-2

These are traditional country taverns serving food and new wine and are a delightful experience. The link gives information on how to find one and how to get there.

cazzar1 Sun 29-Sep-19 18:07:51

We have recently come back from Vienna, we had a fabulous time! My highlight was a Mozart and Strauss concert at the Musikvieren. It was costly but worth it. A full orchestra dressed in Viennese clothing. The seats round the sides have the best view. Hope you have a great time.

Paddington1914 Tue 01-Oct-19 21:31:21

The Opera, the cafe in the Tower and of course the Big Wheel, plus if you have still more time a bit of people watching in any square / out door cafe. Enjoy!

docsposter Sat 12-Oct-19 23:29:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.