Gransnet forums

Travel

Dog free ( not dogs free) hotels

(82 Posts)
Atqui Tue 31-Dec-19 19:29:30

Can anyone recommend a hotel in UK that doesn’t allow dogs to stay?

TerryM Fri 03-Jan-20 11:07:18

Hotels can't reject assistance guide dogs. So dogs will always probable be a factor

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:09:15

Yes, seems simple enough, really. But apologies about the 'stirring' comment. I had no idea that you could not search by clicking no dogs. I would actually write to Bookings.com and ask them why not. I would have assumed that if it does not say 'dogs allowed' (with detail) - it would have no dogs.

''Yes, we do have to get over eating with dogs in pubs and restaurants as someone up thread said , as this seems to be the norm .'' - must say our experience is very different. When we go to our apartment in the UK, we have very little choice of places we can go with the dog. A few pubs have a small section where we can sit with dogs, or a separate room - but 90% no go areas for dogs.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 11:17:02

Why on Earth should you have to go to the time and expense of phoning each individual hotel to check? Dog owners don’t have to do that - they can google ‘dog friendly hotels x region’ and up they all pop - there should be the same option for non- dog friendly hotels.

Dee1012 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:23:52

I'd imagine that if a hotel accepts dog's, they'd keep a number of specific rooms or area of the hotel for that specific client group ?
However, as someone else said, if the dog in question is a guide dog/assistance dog, the hotel must accommodate them.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:27:04

Agreed Sir C- so if anyone feels strongly about this- why not write to WHICH, Booking.com and Trip Advisor- more effective perhaps than on GN?

lolarabbit Fri 03-Jan-20 11:27:21

OP - I am wondering you are typing dog free in your search? Search engines will pick up on the word dog unless you specifically tell it to search for whole phrase and so you will get lots of results for dog friendly places. Apologies if this isn't the case but I just thought it seemed a bit odd that you we're finding more dog friendly places than not.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:36:15

I often search on timeshare exchange sites- and the choice if you want to travel with a dog, is very small. If I put 'dog allowed' in the search - the few options that come up will take dogs, all the 10s of 1000s will NOT.

Newatthis Fri 03-Jan-20 11:38:59

Find an area where you want to stay, then find a hotel, then ring them up and ask them!

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 11:46:31

SirChenin, I think most hotels that allow dogs have ‘dog friendly’ rooms for people with their dogs, usually all the other rooms are not used by people with dogs. And no, you absolutely should not have to ‘get over it.’ We don’t have dogs, and I certainly don’t want to stay in a room that has been used by dogs, or eat in a restaurant where dogs are present. I’m more of a cat person, till our last cat, a lovely Bengal, had to be put to sleep last year, but I didn’t take him on holiday, I made suitable arrangements for his care. I don’t have a problem with people taking their dogs on holiday, I just don’t want to spend my holiday in a ‘doggy room’ or to eat with them nearby.

Esther1 Fri 03-Jan-20 11:53:22

This thread is really interesting because, hardly ever staying in a hotel, I had no idea that dogs could be allowed to stay in the bedrooms. Not wishing to offend dog lovers but I actually would not want to sleep in a room which had allowed dogs. I realise I will need to check at the point of any booking now. Really helpful thread, so thank you everyone.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:00:31

Totally fair enough to want to make the choice - either way- so no offense taken, at all.

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 12:06:20

lolarabbit I’ve tried a few combinations and can’t for the life of me get ‘dog free hotels in the Lake District’ (I chose the Lake District as an arbitrary example) to give me a list of hotels that don’t allow dogs - although plenty that do welcome them. If you have any suggestions as to what other search terms I could use I’d be very interested (genuinely smile).

NotSpaghetti Fri 03-Jan-20 12:18:22

I stopped for a coffee at a cafe in a country park this week. There was only room outside. There was a large and boisterous family on a nearby table and they let their dog stand on the seat with really muddy feet, put his front paws on the table and lick all the crumbs and eat sandwich pieces directly off the table.

It was a handsome dog but I wouldn't be confident in a hotel room after them!

Jaye53 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:24:50

No dogs are allowed in restaurants anyway! Exceptions are service dogs! Some dogs are cleaner than humans!shock

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 12:36:05

No dogs are allowed in restaurants anyway!

Yes they are! Do a quick search for dog friendly restaurants and lots will appear.

BlueBelle Fri 03-Jan-20 12:45:52

Of course dogs are allowed in some restaurants You are living in a parallel universe if you think they are not Jura I sat having a coffee not realising the restaurant was dog friendly in came a family with a large dog It sat at the table on the chair just like a human and lapped away the saucer of tea it was given by its owner poured from their cup of tea Another was given the owners plate on the floor with their left overs I left my coffee and will never go back
I have no bad feeling towards dogs but I do not want to live or eat with other people’s dogs

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 12:46:46

I think dogs are allowed in lots of pubs, even in the eating area. Of course dogs are allowed outside cafes/pubs, but the example given by NotSpaghetti is truly disgusting. Why would anyone allow a dog to eat from the same plates used by people? Surely it’s a health risk.

maddyone Fri 03-Jan-20 12:48:20

BlueBelle, absolutely, I wouldn’t go back either. Why do some people think that it’s okay to do that?

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:54:25

BlueBelle- only in some and very few ''Of course dogs are allowed in some restaurants You are living in a parallel universe if you think they are not Jura''

no parallel universe for sure- we came back last night from almost 3 weeks in UK- and we come several times a year. In the small market town where we stay, the are only 2 cafés where we can take the dog, Néro and a small independent one. And one pub/restaurant - with a few others where there is a small section open to dogs, carpet free. All others are a NO- and they are 90% +.

In France or Switzerland - it is the other way round.

jura2 Fri 03-Jan-20 12:55:18

That was in 4 separate locations btw.

BazingaGranny Fri 03-Jan-20 13:10:11

Just go into one of the hotel booking sites, and when you find a hotel you like, search for their policy or policies on their website. This is where the hotel often says whether or not they allow or encourage dogs.

I suspect that as you have put in ‘dog’ in your online search, that you are getting dog friendly hotels coming up!

We have a dog, and in my experience, most hotels don’t allow dogs. Rather bizarrely, however, sometimes hotels in the same chain have different rules about dogs or pets, for example the Hilton!

SirChenjin Fri 03-Jan-20 13:14:17

jura I don’t think anyone is saying that there shouldn’t be dog friendly cafes etc, just that there should be an option to search for places that are dog free - and at the moment there doesn’t appear to be. Most people in the UK don’t own dogs - you made the choice to have a dog over another pet, and you do have choices of where you can take it, even in that small market town. How did you find these dog friendly places - did you ring each cafe/pub/restaurant in the town individually or did you google them? If the latter, remember that option isn’t open to people who don’t want to share their eating space with an animal for whatever reason.

EthelJ Fri 03-Jan-20 13:24:24

I think most hotels are dog free aren't they? Ive never seen a dog in a hotel I have stayed in. If you are searching for dog free hotels I'm not surprised the dog friendly ones are coming up because the search engine is picking up on the dog. Just search for hotels in the area you want, look at it online in the FAQ, if dogs are allowed it will be mentioned. Or if you are not sure just email them

CarlyD7 Fri 03-Jan-20 13:28:05

On a related topic - we had a boating holiday this summer and made the mistake of booking a boat that allowed dogs and it absolutely STANK of damp dogs the whole week (won't be doing that again). To be fair to the company, they did specify which boats allowed dogs and which didn't (but we missed it). So maybe the OP just wants to avoid a similar situation.

Atqui Fri 03-Jan-20 14:07:36

Grandadoscar Thanks for your recommendation .Ive looked up Byfords and it seems a lovely place.Ive never been to Norfolk and it’s on the to do list!
Dog owners looking for dog friendly pubs and cafes- come to Devon or Cornwall!