Gransnet forums

Travel

Adult only planes

(135 Posts)
oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 12:16:23

Just throwing this out there. As there are adult only hotels, should travel operators such as Tui offer adult only planes. What do others think ? Just having endured a 4 hour flight from Lanzarote with 2 screaming babies non stop the whole 4 hours, I’d certainly consider it. Controversial topic I know!

annsixty Thu 05-Mar-20 12:28:44

It is controversial but I agree with you and so would others I think.
Not only screaming babies but very cheeky schoolage children pushing into the backs of seats and going to the loo constantly, all with very little parental supervision.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 12:34:20

Yes, we’ve had two flights ruined recently. Last year, a large family with three out of control boys, kicking the seats, wetting themselves on the plane floor with the parents and grandparents laughing as they did it. This year, twins of about 9 months screaming non stop all the way back from lanzarote on Monday. No effort made by mum or nanny helper to pacify them. Four hours of non stop high pitched screaming. I’ve never been so glad to leave a plane. So, I would definitely use an adults only plane if it were available.

DancesWithOtters Thu 05-Mar-20 13:12:33

YES PLEASE. I'd pay more for that.

GagaJo Thu 05-Mar-20 14:28:32

I adore my grandson. He really is the joy of my life. But if I'm flying for work, then yes, I WOULD pay for a child-free plane. OR at least, to sit 20 or 30 seats away from them. I hate flying so anything that makes it a bit easier is fine by me.

BlueBelle Thu 05-Mar-20 14:32:02

No no no I hate this discrimination against children they are part and parcel of our society a person who doesn’t want to be amongst kids, how ever annoying, is poorer in their life

May7 Thu 05-Mar-20 14:38:25

?bluebelle I'm with you on this.

MamaCaz Thu 05-Mar-20 14:41:23

On the admittedly small number of occasions that I have flown, I have had seen worse behaviour from rude/ignorant adult passengers than from children. I guess I have just been lucky regarding children.

May7 Thu 05-Mar-20 14:42:23

Sorry pressed send too soon

We never took our children on aeroplanes until they were old enough to understand what was happening. This was in the main because I wouldn't have been able to stand all the disparaging looks from other passengers if I couldnt have stopped them from making a noise. (I was younger then) wouldn't bother me now I'm older

SirChenjin Thu 05-Mar-20 14:48:46

Can we have drunk adult free planes too? And tall people who stick their arms and legs into your free planes? And rowdy stag and hen dos free planes? And people who want to talk to you when you want peace free planes? And overweight people who spill onto your seat free planes?

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 14:57:44

SirChenjin read the OP and immediately came to write what you have just written. Alcohol free planes.

Children are part and party of life. Many would be much better behaved if their parents weren't tense with worry about other people's disapproval.

Not everyone flying with children is going on holiday. parents and children fly for many reasons and many of those mean they have to fly regardless of age etc of child.

If you cannot stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Curlywhirly Thu 05-Mar-20 15:02:56

Exactly SirChenjin! Babies screaming doesn't bother me half as much as those people SirChenjin* mentions. I also wouldn't seek out an adults only hotel; I find it entertaining watching children, especially children at play.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:06:38

Hi there. I knew this would get some comments and disagreement. I’ve got two adult children who flew on planes from six months...so not anti children. However, I pay for my ticket and I’m entitled to fly in peace and quiet if I want to. Why do their needs matter more than other travellers? I do agree about boozy passengers and disruptive adults. The kids I’ve mentioned didn’t have parents who were “tense with worry”. Far from it. Other people’s comfort was of no interest to them! So yes, adult only planes to go with adult only hotels and cruises, which nobody seems to object to, is an option.

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 15:09:37

Buying a ticket is for the journey, not necessarily the conditions.

A train ticket does not even promise you a seat, nor does a bus ticket. Ferry tickets are the same.

What is so special about plane tickets?

Grammaretto Thu 05-Mar-20 15:10:08

I agree BlueBelle and SirChenjin
Basically just first class for everyone please!

I travelled home from NZ pre Christmas on a plane with 70 children on board. There were 3 requests for medical assistance but I was told later that none were for the children who slept soundly throughout.

Anyhow, I am still so glad it's not me who has to quieten a restless child. I can sleep through anything. nearly

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:11:36

You can move around and get away from them on a train, bus or ferry. On a plane you can’t. You’re stuck listening to the high pitched screaming for four hours.

Summerlove Thu 05-Mar-20 15:14:02

However, I pay for my ticket and I’m entitled to fly in peace and quiet if I want to. Why do their needs matter more than other travellers?

They pay the same price for their tickets. What are your wants matter more than their needs?

SirChenjin Thu 05-Mar-20 15:14:50

Just as you’re stuck with all of the passengers I mentioned.

I know it’s not pleasant in the slightest to be stuck next to screaming children (and likewise it’s hideous to be the parent of one of the cherubs when they’re having a meltdown blush) but unfortunately you pays your money and you take your chance on public transport. There are many adults who just not be allowed to board a plane.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:15:56

They don’t but I'm not saying they do. I wasn’t the only passenger affected and couldn’t wait to get away from the plane.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:17:00

You are quite right. I agree about your comments about some adults. Luckily, I’ve never encountered any of those.

Summerlove Thu 05-Mar-20 15:18:41

they don’t but I'm not saying they do. I wasn’t the only passenger affected and couldn’t wait to get away from the plane.

Actually, in essence, what you are saying is that you are more important than these parents and children, and you deserve peace and quiet, to hell with anybody else.

M0nica Thu 05-Mar-20 15:19:54

You can move around and get away from them on a train, bus or ferry.

Seriously? Have you seen how crowded trains and many buses are these days

MerylStreep Thu 05-Mar-20 15:21:05

Young babies often experience pain in their ears with the pressure. They can't understand how to relieve it.

oscaro11 Thu 05-Mar-20 15:21:22

Summerlove. No I’m not saying that but you carry on....

SirChenjin Thu 05-Mar-20 15:24:59

Luckily, I’ve never encountered any of those

Yes, lucky you if you’ve never experienced the types of passengers I mentioned upthread.