Gransnet forums

Travel

Camping? have you ever been camping on your own or thought about it, I mean as in at the age you are now.

(71 Posts)
bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 09:52:20

I keep thinking about having a go at camping(solo) in the uk.

Its something that keep cropping up in my head.

Used to go when DH was here and caravaning.

Obviously there is a safety issue.

I would buy myself suitable tent and throw it in the car.
Would have liked a campervan but that's out of the question.

Just wondering if any grans or none grans have tried this, I dont mean as teenages I mean as mature adults.

I know people will comment on how they are past camping and no way would even think about it and its hotels bed and breakfast and evening dinner etc.

But would like comments on camping anyone ? smile

I could even throw my bicycle in the car.
Wouldn't be this year as have gotr commitments but maybe on my list for next year when things hopefully will be a little easier with the virus etc.

GrandmaMoira Sat 25-Jul-20 09:54:30

I've never been camping and never wanted to. It sounds like my worst nightmare.

merlotgran Sat 25-Jul-20 10:00:30

Camping, No (I'd never get back up off the ground) but glamping, Yes.

DD and DSiL have just had a few days in a shepherd's hut in Snowdonia. Amazing how much luxury can be fitted into such a small space. It even had a hot tub on the decked area and a firepit for BBQs.

I've never understood the appeal of a tent.

Chewbacca Sat 25-Jul-20 10:06:35

We did it when DS was small, money was tight and we couldn't afford a holiday any other way. I didn't like it then either, sorry. I'd rather go away for a shorter period of time, but have more comfort now!

Nannarose Sat 25-Jul-20 10:08:47

My arthritis means that I would struggle to camp on my own. I did when I was younger.
I am unclear as to whether you are used to tent camping. If you are a dab hand at putting one up, then you are aware of the difficulties of putting up any tent but the smallest on your own.
Do you need the loo in the night? Again, easy when caravanning, but in a tent, you must:
trek to the loo block
risk a 'wild wee' (harder than it used to be, as campsites are more organised now!)
put a bucket in the tent

Not sure about your budget, but I would consider hiring a small campervan for a week. There are some very suitable ones - they are not all huge!
This would enable you to use campsites on your own and work out how you feel about that, and consider the drawbacks of using a tent on your own.

Barmeyoldbat Sat 25-Jul-20 11:08:15

Yes Bikegran I would go on my own if I was on my own. I have camped in a tent for many years with Mr B but if anything happened to him I would still go.

If you do go, choose a campsite away from the coast where younger people tend to go and if possible one on a family run site, like a farm. We go to one in mid Wales on a farm, they have besides good showers and toilets a kitchen to use with a table so you can sit and meet others. We have found people on campsites very friendly and helpful, I find it hard to get up to a standing position so I keep a stick and a low plastic stool nearby to help me. Take sensible precautions, like letting your family or friends know where you are going and keep in touch. I have met a woman in her late 70's at my Mid Wales campsite who camps on her own, but she takes a dog with her for company. Give it a try.

PinkCakes Sat 25-Jul-20 11:08:47

I've never been camping and can't think of a worse "holiday" to have. I like the comfort of a proper bed and the convenience of a toilet and shower.

bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 11:15:41

Barmeyoldbat thanks for your comment, love Wales.

But with hindsight maybe camper van the way to go.

In fact just remembered right at the end of my road is a Rental place. not cheap around £71 night for motorhome hire.

Food for thought thanks all.

Septimia Sat 25-Jul-20 11:16:09

Go for it! I don't think you'll find you're the only woman camping alone.

We had camped, motorcaravanned, had a folding caravan over the years. After a longish gap (shortage of funds!) we bought a secondhand tent and had two trips away. We found that an inflatable mattress made a big difference to being able to get out of bed in the morning!

We've just bought a secondhand small motorcaravan, but I'd still be up for going camping. Small one-man tents are cheap enough to make it an experiment, a 2-man would give you some sitting space but not be too unwieldy to pitch.

I'd be nervous about wild camping but there are some lovely small campsites. People on campsites are usually friendly - complete strangers came and helped us pitch our tent in a gale. As for the loo in the night, I trailed across a silent site in the pitch black, saw no-one, but did get a fantastic view of a meteor shower on the way back - a great compensation for the
inconvenience.

Equally, hiring a small motorcaravan is a good idea, although smaller ones often don't have loos. It depends on how conficent you are driving a strange vehicle.

geekesse Sat 25-Jul-20 11:17:18

Yes, go for it! Camping on your own is brilliant. I have a box with a tiny tent, a one-burner gas stove, a basic set of three pans, a tin plate and cutlery, salt, pepper, and tea, coffee and sugar, and washing up liquid. Oh, and clean knickers and socks. If I need to escape, I can throw it into the boot of the car and take off. I stop off at a shop and buy bacon, eggs, bread and a bottle of wine as I go.

Research your campsites carefully - I prefer the ones that don’t have many caravans or which have pitches spread well apart so I am not pestered by children. I did once go to a site on Bodmin Moor that was very family friendly and was woken at 6am by a child playing football against the side of my tent. I put my head through the entrance and growled at him ‘I eat children for breakfast’. After that he and his siblings avoided me and my tent for the rest of my stay.

There’s a fabulous forestry commission site in the Forest of Dean that is a good place to start if you haven’t camped alone before. My favourite place of all is Rowter Farm campsite near Castleton, Derbyshire.

bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 11:21:03

lol geekesse

EllanVannin Sat 25-Jul-20 11:22:30

No way, not on my own ! I've never been camping anyway.

vampirequeen Sat 25-Jul-20 11:23:18

I'd do it. Camping is brilliant.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sat 25-Jul-20 11:34:12

I loved camping in various tents when my DH was still alive and well. Brittany was fabulous, especially the north coast. But on my own? I wouldn't, for a few reasons.
For one I wouldn't feel safe on my own - sorry if that makes me seem like a wimp. I also think it would be difficult to put up a tent by myself, although I believe there are lightweight models which go up with a flick of the wrist. Finally it just wouldn't be the seem without DH - I think I'd find it miserable to be alone with past memories.
However, if you're brave, feel safe and have a good Campervan, then go for it and have a great time.

eazybee Sat 25-Jul-20 11:40:26

I knew someone in her fifties who used to go camping by herself and loved it; just her and her little dog. She was extremely independent and self-sufficient and ( rather difficult to live with), but she really enjoyed her expeditions.
I have a friend who used to go camping with her young children, again very independent, and for her sixtieth birthday wanted to recreate the experience; it was her adult children who chickened out!
Could you borrow a tent and camping gear and try it out for a weekend?

heath480 Sat 25-Jul-20 11:43:07

I have camped all my life.

I would only camp now in good weather.

I have been camping on my own in my 60’s,in a tiny tent I had to crawl into and took the bare minimum of equipment.

Buy a tent that is easy to put up,mine goes up similar to an umbrella,simple.Find a campsite near your home and give it a go.

bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 11:47:23

I will take on board all your comments , got plenty of time to mull it over for hopefully next year. thanks again everyone smile

Apricity Sat 25-Jul-20 11:56:57

Wow Septima, a meteor shower while taking a night time loo break. That is something really special. Aren't those unexpected moments in life just so wonderful.

J52 Sat 25-Jul-20 12:25:17

Why don’t you try a night or two in a glamping pod With a lockable and see how safe you feel. Then if all seems good advance to your own tent.

rubysong Sat 25-Jul-20 13:11:52

Are you a WI member? Lots of WI federations run camping weekends. I went last year here in Cornwall. It was great, people helped each other to put up tents and we had lots of great activities. Have you anyone who would go with you in their own tent? Try and get a tent which will let you stand up, I did get a bit fed up of crawling into my little dome. I used the shewee and an empty bottle in the night to avoid heading to the loos. (Apologies to all of a delicate constitution for that information.)

Barmeyoldbat Sat 25-Jul-20 13:15:55

The comments about children being noisy reminded me of a time I was camping in North Devon. A group of young people were camping in the same field and still making a noise at gone midnight. Sound seems to travel more at night. So I went over to them and asked them what time they were thinking of getting up in the morning. Around 10 or 11 was the reply. Wrong was my answer, if you carrying on making this noise and keeping me awake believe me you will will be woken up at 5.30 in the morning by me. They laughed and carried on. So at 5.30 I drove my car across the field, parked next to their tents and put on some classical music at full belt. I can't really repeat what they said but it didn't happen again.

Luckyoldbeethoven Sat 25-Jul-20 15:03:40

Bikergran do you use Facebook? There is a lively group called Bicycle Travelling Women and lots of other groups by and for women who travel alone by bicycle and other wise. I wish I had the nerve to do it. Do you know the travel books by Josie Dew? Excellent and entertaining reads.

bikergran Sat 25-Jul-20 19:21:02

Than Lucky no not on fb, but will google Josie Dew smile

miketom Wed 29-Jul-20 11:06:36

Camping used to be a hobby of mine. Lost it over the course of time. Now that you have asked this question I think I might consider going camping. My wife won't allow me because of the pandemic. I'm staying at home watching Netflix and doing a bit of gardening all the time. I have all the accessories in my garage starting from a pen knife to a tent. Fetching a bi-cycle is good if the terrain is vital. I prefer hiking to cycle.

Oopsminty Wed 29-Jul-20 11:10:25

Hate camping

However I know a lady who would regularly camp well into her '80s.

She got in a few scrapes going in fields. Farmer would come over all primed to raise merry hell. Took one look at tiny charming old lady and reappeared with eggs and cream.

Also there is a bloke who we know vaguely who camps alone in local wooded area. Seems as happy as a lark.

If you fancy it, go for it!