Gransnet forums

Travel

would you go.....

(124 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 08:05:13

A friend has invited me to go to Greece with her in September. She had booked before covid and i must admit the price is really reasonable if i book now for the same hotel. But in light of the current situation i feel unsure, what would you do

Cosy50 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:24:23

I agree with Bluebell, I think this would all clear up sooner if we had stopped people travelling. I'm not even sure it's a good idea to let people travel for holidays in the uk at the moment, especially after the crowded beaches.
We were due to fly to France in July and decided it was not worth the risk, we lost the flight money but have a voucher to use for the hotel at a later date.
Apart from the travelling there is also a risk of getting caught in a lockdown abroad or worse still contracting Covid abroad and being in a foreign hospital.

Jayt Fri 07-Aug-20 10:28:24

I wouldn’t take a flight anywhere just now

JdotJ Fri 07-Aug-20 10:34:38

I wouldn't go

Craftycat Fri 07-Aug-20 10:34:46

I am not a bit concerned about catching Covid but I would not travel abroad. We go to Greece every year & I am really sad not to go this year especially as I know our friends wil be struggling with very few if any tourists but I think it is just plain good sense to stay at home this year.

Oopsminty Fri 07-Aug-20 10:37:10

I'd probably go

But the decision is up to you, travalsafar

Nortsat Fri 07-Aug-20 10:38:31

I read an article in Radio Times by Dr Michael Moseley about tacking Covid. The gist of which was loose a few pounds and wear a mask (no surprise there... ). He also said he had eaten out in a restaurant once, for a special meal, which he now regretted and that he wouldn’t fly for the foreseeable future.

We had been invited to use a friend’s house in Greece, this year. It’s on a small, quiet island. We’re not going. Indeed my friend is not going this year at all, either and they usually spend long spells there.

I have been advised to continue shielding, so we can’t even go out for supper.
I would advise extreme caution...

GrannyLaine Fri 07-Aug-20 10:39:24

The consensus seems to be very clear. The whole Covid situation is far from over and September is only next month. Consider not only your destination but all the places you pass through to get there. We are most definitely staying put.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:42:12

Getting on a flight with hundreds of passengers breathing over me would put me off, even before I thought about the arrival in Greece.
As someone else has said it could prove an expensive trip if anything was to happen to you and you have no travel Insurance.
Greek hospitals aren’t so good.

harrigran Fri 07-Aug-20 10:45:41

No, I would not travel to Greece nor any other country where I had to get on a plane.

henetha Fri 07-Aug-20 10:46:19

I wouldn't go. I've put all my plans on hold.

Coconut Fri 07-Aug-20 10:48:37

No matter how much I so miss my globetrotting lifestyle, personally, nothing could persuade me to go anywhere at present.

bluebird243 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:50:30

No. I would avoid airports, planes and people and going to unknown premises/shops/cafes etc. That's apart from any accident which may involve a hospital visit.

There is a world wide pandemic at the moment!

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 11:01:53

People returning from Belgium and Andorra will have to quarantine for 14 days from tomorrow. It all happens with so little warning, I wouldn't risk it.

Juicylucy Fri 07-Aug-20 11:05:17

We’ve just cancelled a week in Spain in September. There are to many uncertainties for us 3 ladies, people on flights refusing to wear masks.Regarding bars and restaurants a lot are still closed the ones that are open are packed. Unsure how clean the hotel is going to be. Of course quarantine changing everyday. Instead we’ve booked staycation in Somerset.

Flygirl Fri 07-Aug-20 11:13:47

Go. In an instant.
Live your life!!!
Greece is not only beautiful but has a real handle on Coronavirus and I would feel much safer there than I do hiding away in a mask here. Take that holiday. Your body and immune system will thank you for ut abd give you the best possible defence for what the winter will bring.
Fear will never stop death, but fear will without doubt stop you living!!!!
Go!!!

CrazyGrandma2 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:23:38

Your decision but for me absolutely no way! I can't imagine leaving the UK at the moment.

icanhandthemback Fri 07-Aug-20 11:23:51

Nope. Another year I would jump at the chance but not this year.

NannyC2 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:26:04

Like Flygirl, I would probably go but more so if it was somewhere quieter and either in a villa or self catering accommodation.

Davida1968 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:27:12

Much as I love Greece, we won't be going this year - for most of the reasons already outlined here by other GNs. I think that the flight/airport, and insurance issues are the biggest factors for saying "no".

Applegran Fri 07-Aug-20 11:27:52

You decide, but my thinking is like so many others - we have cancelled (or if we are very lucky in future - postponed) a house swap in Tuscany this September. The risk is real and invisible - we won't be going on a plane in the foreseeable future. House swaps in the UK next year for us.

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 11:29:42

Fine, Flygirl, if an empty plane could take me from my back garden and drop me at the hotel! It's all the in between stuff and a aircraft cabin full of people.

Thecatshatontgemat Fri 07-Aug-20 11:31:29

No! Simply not worth the risk.
Wait until next year at least......

Kim19 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:40:38

No (or extremely expensive) insurance? Prospect of short notice unexpected quarantine in Greece? Perhaps less inconvenient but quarantine in U.K? No-brainer for me.

Peardrop50 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:43:13

We are all saying how safe other places are compared to the UK so is it fair for us to risk taking the virus to other shores?

I agree with Bluebell and others. Just all stay at home for twelve months or so until we know much more about the virus and possibly have a vaccine.

Do we really need to be somewhere else to enjoy life?

Beau2020 Fri 07-Aug-20 11:48:09

No I wouldn’t go (although I’d love to) so many things to consider, but at the end of the day it’s your decision, but you don’t want to be on holiday worrying about everything further lockdown, isolation when home etc Make sure you you are 100% beforehand x