Gransnet forums

Travel

would you go.....

(124 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 08:05:13

A friend has invited me to go to Greece with her in September. She had booked before covid and i must admit the price is really reasonable if i book now for the same hotel. But in light of the current situation i feel unsure, what would you do

Iam64 Sun 09-Aug-20 08:52:29

We have flights to Crete at the end of September. So far, Crete has had under 50 cases and one death. We know the area we're staying in very well. It's a small, quiet village.
Yes I'm anxious about the air port and the flight. I'm watching the government advice and prepared to cancel (again).
But - I wouldn't go to any English sea side resorts currently. I'm sure I'd feel much safer in Crete than I do here.

Davidhs Sun 09-Aug-20 10:10:24

A great deal of uncertainty at present, are you going to be allowed into your country of choice in a months time, then afterwards wether you isolate on return.

I had a letter from my travel insurance yesterday, saying that travel cancellations are “ foreseeable” so they are not insuring you me cancellation or delays. This weekend we have borders closed in Belgium, restricting driving through as well, so any overseas excursions are going to be at your own risk.

Serendipity22 Sun 09-Aug-20 10:54:58

Under the circumstances, I would stay at home.

I cant see any joy, excitement nor bliss in even thinking about a holiday abroad let alone actually going ahead and partaking in one ... holidays are meant to be stress free, carefree, wonderfulness......

Anyway, each to their own, that is what I say, but personally I wouldnt.

If you DO go, I wish you a wonderful, happy time...... winecafewinecafe

NanaPlenty Sun 09-Aug-20 11:00:30

No - any travel booked this year is quite likely to be cancelled at short notice and as we move towards winter we could easily be facing another lockdown - I don’t mean to sound pessimistic but the virus is ramping up in lots of places, as everyone else has said we need to stop travelling for a while to hopefully eliminate it, Let’s all keep our fingers crossed for a vaccine too.

PipandFinn Mon 10-Aug-20 07:57:28

No. Still too risky....

AlgeswifeVal Wed 12-Aug-20 09:08:55

Three words. No, no, no.
Wait until they vaccinate us. Far too risky..

jeanie99 Thu 13-Aug-20 01:56:32

Don't

GagaJo Thu 13-Aug-20 08:45:36

I have a friend who is on her annual holiday on a Greek island with her whole family. All generations from grandparents to grandchildren.

I'm flying back to work in Switzerland tomorrow. Risky but it's my job.

Ellianne Thu 13-Aug-20 22:19:13

FRANCE now on the quarantine list. I think the writing was on the wall.

biba70 Thu 20-Aug-20 19:10:13

We are off to rural Tuscany soon. So far not on the quarantine list- but if it does happen- we will happily self-isolate on return.

maddyone Thu 20-Aug-20 20:00:43

Have fun bina and enjoy beautiful Tuscany. I’m sure you’ll be fine there, it’s very rural.

biba70 Thu 20-Aug-20 21:11:16

thanks- especially where we go <3

Iam64 Thu 20-Aug-20 21:42:36

Good for you biba70.
We haven't cancelled our flights to Greece, yet. My insurance company said all eventualities will be covered, then added "providing you aren't flying against medical advice". I'm waiting to clarify that. As all travel is supposed to be 'essential ' that suggests flying would be against medical advice.

blue25 Thu 20-Aug-20 22:01:24

I can’t believe anyone would voluntarily get on a plane at the moment! One person has Covid on your plane and you’re in trouble.

GagaJo Sat 22-Aug-20 14:47:42

Some of us have no choice. I work abroad. Can't pay the bills without it.

Flew 8 days ago. Ok so far.

TerriBull Sat 22-Aug-20 15:50:13

I wouldn't get on a plane at the moment, we were going to Portugal in September, EasyJet have just emailed giving the option to re-book another flight. Have done so for next June......just have to wait and see if things have improved by then.

maddyone Sat 22-Aug-20 19:06:07

It’s a luxury to be able to choose not to fly or travel, some people have got to travel for their work. Others have worked all the way through the worst of the pandemic, and were in contact with the public every day. People worked in hospitals, surgeries, shops, distribution centres, schools, nurseries, and many other work places. They were key workers, and they didn’t have the luxury of choice. Those who can choose not to travel have the luxurious privilege of choice.

maddyone Sat 22-Aug-20 19:06:47

Glad to hear it went well Gaga.

GagaJo Sat 22-Aug-20 20:57:30

maddyone

Glad to hear it went well Gaga.

Thanks Maddyone. Wearing a mask as much as possible now although it's so hot and there's no air con.

Bobbysgirl19 Sat 22-Aug-20 22:04:09

No generalised answer to this one as each of us would come up with a different opinion depending on individual risk assessments.
If you were fairly healthy with no underlying conditions you might feel happy about it.
On the othe hand if you had pre-existing health conditions which made you vulnerable, your answer may be - no way!!

hrnt Thu 24-Dec-20 08:44:41

Oh, how did it turn out in the end? I mean, I know what happened in Greece and how quickly they went into a strict lockdown.
My friend lives there and she said that their friends had to urgently look for workarounds to return home

grannyrebel7 Thu 24-Dec-20 09:26:00

We could all be in a much better place come September. A large proportion of the population will have been vaccinated by then and we'll be on our way to herd immunity. However, I wouldn't book it now if you have to pay the full amount, but I would pay a deposit if you have the choice.

Tangerine Thu 24-Dec-20 11:55:12

No, I wouldn't go. Admittedly, things may be different in September by which time more and more people will have been vaccinated. Let's hope the vaccine protects against the mutations of Covid.

If you agree to go, you've got to worry about it until September. Is it worth it?

I would not agree to go in your position.