Gransnet forums

Travel

would you go.....

(123 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 08:05:13

A friend has invited me to go to Greece with her in September. She had booked before covid and i must admit the price is really reasonable if i book now for the same hotel. But in light of the current situation i feel unsure, what would you do

BlueBelle Fri 07-Aug-20 08:14:20

Each to his own but I wouldn’t personally travel not because
I m afraid of catching Covid but afraid of getting stuck and having the quarantine dropped on me or worse still having flights pulled out
I personally think the quickest way to have got rid of this was to stop all of us travelling for 12 months

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-20 08:48:36

I would stay at home!

Marydoll Fri 07-Aug-20 08:52:33

I wouldnt even think about it. We have cancelled our annual Rome trip for September.
The only way to stop this virus is to stay at home and stop spreading it. It's still there, so we shouldn't be complacent.

TrendyNannie6 Fri 07-Aug-20 08:53:01

I would stay at home

rubysong Fri 07-Aug-20 08:54:29

I agree. No way I would go abroad this year. Booking would be a huge risk as you could get there and not be able to get back. Also a flight could be very uncomfortable.

Calendargirl Fri 07-Aug-20 08:58:35

In answer to OP, no.
This is why people are finding that they are having to quarantine, after booking a cheap holiday.
Greece might be on that list in another month!

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Aug-20 09:07:14

Stay safe,stay at home.

ginny Fri 07-Aug-20 09:13:02

No, I wouldn’t go.
We have cancelled a weeks trip to Ireland as it involves a flight and coach travel.
The price might be cheap but have you enquired about insurance ?

honeyrose Fri 07-Aug-20 09:23:24

Hi Travelsafar. Like the other people who’ve replied so far, the answer is no. I wouldn’t go. I just don’t think it’s worth the risk. You may have to quarantine when you’re back, you have 2 flights to take, airport lounges to sit in, time spent in Greece which may or may not be as relaxing as it normally would be because of COVID concerns, insurance price may be sky high and/or won’t cover you. We’ e cancelled our holiday to Norway which would have been in a week’s time and planning a few days in Norfolk in October instead. Good luck with your decision!

Sunlover Fri 07-Aug-20 09:23:48

I have strip booked for Turkey in September. I’m waiting to see how things are in a couple of weeks. I’m happy to quarantine on arriving home. Will be staying with a friend in her apartment. Will be outside in the fresh air all the time. Think I will go unless government advise against travel to Turkey.

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Aug-20 09:29:55

Foreign Office advice is still no unnecessary foreign travel, therefore insurance invalid, if nothing else that would stop me.

BladeAnnie Fri 07-Aug-20 09:38:12

Personally I wouldn't - covid is still very prevalent and although my shielding has ended, myself and Mr BA are still being very cautious

ladymuck Fri 07-Aug-20 09:41:02

I don't think it's worth the risk. Also, if the news reports are correct, there may well be another pandemic on the way. There have been more cases of bubonic plague in China.

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-20 10:01:57

Sunlover - can we all come and see you "strip"?! grin

Noname Fri 07-Aug-20 10:02:51

Yes, we are still hoping to travel to Greece in September. We are not staying in a hotel with loads of other people, we are in a private villa, just the two of us. Once there we will sit outside to eat at the local tavernas. My only slight concern are the flights but we of course will adhere to all advice and regulations.

Mollygo Fri 07-Aug-20 10:03:30

I’d stay home. It’s not just the being there but the travelling to get there that would concern me. We regretfully cancelled our autumn trip, but I’m relieved really.

Dorsetcupcake61 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:06:35

A friend and I were going to Italy at the end of September,we had only paid a small deposit which saved in case go away next year. I think there was initially a lot of publicity about holidays and encouragement to go abroad. Obviously the situation is changing daily but not for the better. Holiday insurance taken out since the virus usually doesnt cover it. There is the risk of contracting the virus. I imagine the resulting holiday wouldnt be very relaxing!

Merry16 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:07:30

I have just cancelled our trip to Greece in September. Definitely not worth risking it.

jane1956 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:08:50

my son has just gone to Crete and says it is very quiet, they were going to Lanzarote but the Government stopped that. Very hot he says at the moment, but as I said quiet. they spent yesterday by the pool as nobody there.

polnan Fri 07-Aug-20 10:12:47

no! but then I am not one for holidays abroad

Flossieflyby Fri 07-Aug-20 10:15:28

At the moment Covid numbers in Greece are low. I appreciate this may change. I live in an area of concern in the UK where lockdown rules have become more strict - you could be just as at risk if you travelled within the UK. Just wanted to give a different viewpoint ( I cancelled a trip to Spain in August before things became more difficult ) Have a long chat with your friend.

Lancslass1 Fri 07-Aug-20 10:17:37

I wouldn't even consider it.
You would only be worrying until you were due to go about whether you had done the right thing..

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 10:22:26

A strip? Luckygirl! Where? That's funny!
At least the teachers won't tear you or me off a strip, it shows we read all the posts!!

In answer to the question, I wouldn't go. The hotel might be fine when you get there but think of all the travelling involved in confined spaces.

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 10:23:00

Obviously the final decision is yours alone. In fairness Greece has had a low level of infections but it is apparently rising slowly. In general I think Greece is fairly safe, but it does depend on your accommodation and holiday plans. Personally I wouldn’t go to a hotel because there will be many people there. It would be much easier to stay away from too many people in a holiday home or independent apartment. Where will you eat? Hotels restaurants may have lots of people around you, whereas eating in a holiday home would be much safer. Or even eating in a taverna outside, especially if it’s not crowded and near the sea.
All travel carries risk of the virus, including travel in this country. Has anyone seen the pictures of the beaches in Devon and Cornwall at the moment, or the packed streets in the little Cornish villages? Having said that, September will undoubtedly be a much quieter month.