Gransnet forums

Travel

would you go.....

(124 Posts)
travelsafar Fri 07-Aug-20 08:05:13

A friend has invited me to go to Greece with her in September. She had booked before covid and i must admit the price is really reasonable if i book now for the same hotel. But in light of the current situation i feel unsure, what would you do

maddyone Fri 07-Aug-20 16:37:13

I think we all have to assess our own risks, and what kind of holiday would be safest. I wouldn’t go to a hotel now, especially for a holiday. Not that we do those kind of hotel holidays with communal buffets and pools. It doesn’t appeal to us, but it’s probably less safe at the moment. A private rental must be less risky.

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 16:43:55

Thank you Flygirl, some interesting facts about flying. I'm more of a ferry traveller myself and anticipate sailing over to France later in the year. Hope all goes well for you.

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-20 17:08:38

Ellianne -Sunlover posted that she had a strip booked for Turkey in September!

Luckygirl Fri 07-Aug-20 17:12:50

My SIL has to travel to Canada and US each year and has always caught a virus on the plane - every time!

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 17:17:16

Yes, Luckygirl, I'm waiting for the invitation.

Desdemona Fri 07-Aug-20 17:21:59

I wouldn't feel comfortable travelling abroad right now sadly.

PamelaJ1 Fri 07-Aug-20 17:32:20

I don’t think that I would go.
I flew back from Perth earlier in the year and comforted myself with the knowledge that we were all flying back from a country/ countries- There were some passengers from NZ- that had very few cases.
When we transited in Qatar we were mixed up with passengers from other parts of the world. I was a little bit more anxious.
I would say just holiday here but my sister went to Yorkshire this week. It rained?☂️.

Thanks to fly girl for the information about the air circulation. It may be excellent on planes but you can’t guarantee that the person you sit next to isn’t infected.

CleoPanda Fri 07-Aug-20 17:46:56

Are you a risk taker?
It’s all hit and miss at the moment.
The plane may be infected, the passengers may be infected, the terminal may be infected, the hotel, bars, cafes etc mat have infected people passing through.
Or none of that may apply.
The flight may be cancelled, it may be cancelled mid way! You may have to return early, you may not.
You may need to quarantine on return, you may not.
You may not mind wearing a mask in a hot country or attempting to social distance in a busy location, or it may bother you a lot.
We are still in the middle of a Global Pandemic which is why the government advice is “ COVID-19 travel guidance -
The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.
This advice is being kept under constant review. Travel disruption is still possible and national control measures may be brought in with little notice, so check our travel guidance.”

Ashcombe Fri 07-Aug-20 18:26:29

www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-countries-and-territories-exempt-from-advice-against-all-but-essential-international-travel
This link tells you the countries that are exempt from the government advice against all but essential travel; it includes Greece at the moment.
Last week, on our return from France, we had to complete a form online for the Immigration Dept., including details of our whereabouts in the event of having to be contacted if any ferry travellers subsequently developed Covid-19.
Hope that helps travelsafar

grandtanteJE65 Fri 07-Aug-20 18:42:50

I am not going furthr away than a five mile radius until a vaccine is available.

Ellianne Fri 07-Aug-20 20:24:09

I keep getting messages from Brittany Ferries with discount codes. I think something might be about to happen with France.

Nanniejude Fri 07-Aug-20 21:22:15

I would go, probably less transmission there than here. Hoping to go away in October but it’s up to the individual. Also I managed to get full insurance cover in March before lockdown

Ashcombe Fri 07-Aug-20 21:25:52

Ellianne As my husband's main home is in France, whilst mine is in Torquay, we are concerned about future arrangements for travel twixt our two countries. It’s likely that Brittany Ferries anticipates a decline in bookings post Brexit so is trying to boost trade, particularly after being out of service throughout lockdown.

Jaxjacky Fri 07-Aug-20 21:58:07

Sky news venturing tonight that France may be next on the quarantine list Ellianne

aonk Fri 07-Aug-20 22:19:51

My DD and family are currently on a Greek island. They are staying in a villa on a complex. The villa is lovely but they have concerns about the communal facilities which are very clean and well regulated but also quite crowded. They are driving round the island in a hired car. Quite a lot of businesses are closed but they are made welcome everywhere. Their flight was quiet and wearing masks didn’t bother them at all. They are glad that they went.

ginny Sat 08-Aug-20 00:01:39

Let’s hope they get back without the air bridge collapsing. If not , hopefully they have very good insurance.

GoldenAge Sat 08-Aug-20 00:01:46

In areoplanes only 50% of the air circulated in the cabin is clean. That means you are exposing yourself to the air exhaled by a person 25 + rows away from you and how do you know that this person as not asymptomatic or worse still, has the virus and is simply being irresponsible? Wearing a mask and face visor for three or four hours on a flight will be extremely uncomfortable and people will pull the mask down to eat and drink their picnic. I have a holiday home in a very secluded place in Turkey but wouldn't dream of going on a plane this year. Also to Sunlover, I know that all the holiday resorts in Turkey are reporting increased cases of Covid but they're not hitting the news. What is likely to happen is that another lockdown which was much heavier than ours, and involved complete curfews for people under 20 and over 65, will be imposed at a stroke, and then people stranded will be clamouring for flights home. Why put yourself in danger?

Katyj Sat 08-Aug-20 06:54:09

My fear would be what happens if you fall ill a few days after you arrive, nobody knows how ill you would get, you could end up in a Greek hospital would you feel able to cope with that . There are so many things to consider I just don’t think it’s worth it.

Maggiemaybe Sat 08-Aug-20 08:22:46

I see that travelsafar has already decided what to do based on her own circumstances, and that’s all any of us can do really.

If you like where you live and particularly if you’re still able to see family and friends regularly, you’re probably happy to put travel off till you can do it properly, knowing that your destinations are “open” and that you won’t be worrying about having no insurance and checking the news constantly to see if you’re going to have to try to book a last minute flight home, or go into quarantine when you get back.

Though in normal times we love our holidays and seeing new places, wanting to travel is way down the list at the moment. Others may be desperate to escape.

EmilyHarburn Sat 08-Aug-20 11:44:55

I am flying to Greece for 3 weeks on 26th August. My holiday, not the flights was cancelled so I am going to a 4 bed villa with a pool, run by an English land lady close to Athens airport. I will enjoy the relaxation.

This is the last year we have the same Health Service benefits because we are still in the EU. Next year when my holiday is reinstated then the insurance will be more difficult, especially as I will be a year older.

Kate1949 Sat 08-Aug-20 14:34:37

I love Greece and I would love to be there. Some of the islands seem relatively Covid free. However, it's the flight and the airport that would scare me. No way.

Ellianne Sun 09-Aug-20 07:41:41

Looking at things the other way round ......... thousands of French people living and working in London won't be visiting France for their summer holidays. (London is the 5th biggest French city, bigger than Strasbourg, Bordeaux and Nantes in terms if population.)
Knowing how they love their holidays, I was interested to read they are being encouraged by a French newspaper to take day trips to British beaches including Bournemouth, Brighton, Southend! Quelle horreur!

Willow73 Sun 09-Aug-20 07:54:23

DON'T RISK IT.
This is a pandemic that is NOT over yet.

Gingster Sun 09-Aug-20 08:06:43

It’s the flight I would be worried about. I wouldn’t t want to get on a plane In the present circumstances.

SueEH Sun 09-Aug-20 08:35:09

I travel to Greece a lot and have recently changed flights that were booked for Morocco in March next year to Greece (Ionian island) for the end of September. I can change the flight for no cost up to two hours before departure and have booked a small hotel with no upfront payment and cancellation available up to the day of travel.
I have followed every rule and instruction through the pandemic so far and if they change I shall just alter my plans.
The Greek healthcare system is excellent as us my insurance.
A poster above pointed out that we’ve had the fear of god drummed into us since March - and it was needed; our behaviours had to change. But at some point we have to get out there and live again and that involves assessing the amount of risk we personally are willing to take. And that will vary for everyone.
So if I can go I will but if not... there’s always next year ?