Gransnet forums

Travel

So that's it then, France is off! Quarantine from Sunday 4.00am

(188 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 13-Aug-20 22:57:46

We were so hoping to be able to go, it was an isolated house in a very low CV area, but that's it we have to cancel house, flights, car hire etc and hope to get something back or move to next year. I know it is sensible if numbers are rising, and it was a bit of a gamble of course, but it gave us something to look forward to, and it is a big disappointment.

Anyone else in the same position?

EDIT by GNHQ: OP requested we point out that the title should read Saturday 4am.

Mamie Tue 20-Jul-21 11:03:20

Yes MawBe it is indeed 10% of infections in France. But not in Metropolitan France where it is 3% and declining. The figures for France include the DomToms. Beta infections are almost all in Réunion and Mayotte.
These are thousands of kilometres away from mainland France.
Would you decide what happened in the UK based on the Falklands?

Mamie Tue 20-Jul-21 11:20:51

It is an interesting insight into the extent and influence of lazy journalism though. This misinformation has been corrected extensively since Saturday, but there are still reports about "ten per cent in France" when it has been said over and over again that the data collection is not restricted to mainland France. Which bit of "the cases are in islands in the Indian Ocean near South Africa where the variant was identified" did they not understand? It is enough to make you weep.
I did read one comment that suggested they had looked up "Réunion" on Google translate and thought it meant a meeting.

Lincslass Tue 20-Jul-21 11:25:17

sodapop

France has responded by putting the same quarantine rules in place for people from UK. Infection rates have risen quite sharply here and its probably due to tourism. People from abroad and French people from areas with a high Covid rate holidaying elsewhere.

So the French are taking it with them perhaps, spreading it even further afield. I would say most spread is from tourism, skiers and Italy come to mind. We had a low count, then hot weather brought people in from 50 miles away, infections increased.

MawBe Tue 20-Jul-21 11:29:17

Mamie

Yes MawBe it is indeed 10% of infections in France. But not in Metropolitan France where it is 3% and declining. The figures for France include the DomToms. Beta infections are almost all in Réunion and Mayotte.
These are thousands of kilometres away from mainland France.
Would you decide what happened in the UK based on the Falklands?

Is there unrestricted travel from France Outre-Mer - if it is still referred to as such - though?
That might be key.

westendgirl Tue 20-Jul-21 11:30:35

I see that the U.S has advised their citizens not to visit this country because of the high numbers of cases.

Mamie Tue 20-Jul-21 11:45:29

No, not unrestricted MawBe. For some you even have to have "motifs impériaux". Martinique is a big worry at the moment though not Beta.
If you look at Covid Tracker you can see all the infection rates and the variants, including DomToms.
covidtracker.fr/
The South African / Beta variant has been around for months and there have been cases in mainland France, but they have fallen month by month, even before Delta came in.
People here were astonished when they heard about UK decision because it makes no sense.

Kali2 Fri 23-Jul-21 19:46:39

No sense at all.

Apart from the problems with lorries and imports/exports via French ports- and the need to limit private trafffic. Most expats in France visit the UK by car, not plane.

Kali2 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:29:21

From 8th of August at 4pm, all residents in Europe will be able to travel to UK without testing or quarantine, if they have proof of double vaccination- the only exception is ... France.

How bl***y ridiculous- a political decision which has nothing to do with Covid.

Kali2 Wed 28-Jul-21 17:49:22

Sorry, my mistake. Without quarantining, but with pre travel test, and another on day 2 or before.

Dinahmo Wed 28-Jul-21 17:59:35

Mamie

Political I think, though perhaps also being unaware of inclusion of overseas territories in data. I think it comes in the same category as not accepting our vaccinations as valid because they were not done by the NHS.
Anyway, am now off to the beach to enjoy the sunshine. ?

Being a bit off side here. The UK govt does know about the overseas territories. It's why they no longer give the winter fuel allowance to Brits living in France because they include the overseas territories temperatures with those of the hexagon when calculating the temperature at which they'll give the fuel allowance.

Mamie Wed 28-Jul-21 18:07:04

Yes I know Dinahmo, we lost our fuel allowance too. But I was being slightly generous, because I know that the people dealing with policy then, will not be the ones dealing with policy now. Different set of Spads.

mokryna Wed 28-Jul-21 21:14:49

Oh I never realized that they counted in the DOM-TOMs’ weather forecasts. Shame there aren’t any near the poles. You learn something new everyday.