Gransnet forums

Travel

Staycation ideas

(69 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 22-Aug-20 09:49:25

I've got a week off coming up in September and DH & I would like to have a week away somewhere, but can't decide where to go. We would like a hotel on a seafront somewhere but there's so many to choose from. We had a week in Tenby in July and that was lovely, but would like somewhere not in Wales for this holiday. Would love some suggestions please.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-20 11:47:07

I love Lyme Regis! Have stayed there many times.

We did stay at Sidmouth once, at a hotel on the front that was evidently trying to be another Fawlty Towers.
I enjoyed it anyway - the displays of flowers were gorgeous - but dh couldn’t wait to move on - to him it was full of old people! (We were no spring chickens ourselves at the time, probably mid 50s.)

Next stop was Lyme for the very first time and I’ve loved it ever since. Have since gone more than once with dds/Gdcs.
If I were ever going to buy a holiday home, it’d be in Lyme.

Witzend Sun 23-Aug-20 11:51:36

Will just add, re Lyme, a dd’s neighbours are a Spanish family who’ve been here about 15 years now - dd and SiL are very friendly with them.
Over a barbecue they once told me that their very favourite place in the U.K. , where they’d love to live if they could, is Lyme!
Somehow I just wouldn’t expect that from a Spanish family.

Georgesgran Sun 23-Aug-20 12:05:22

Trisher - exactly what I was going to say! Don’t mention the finest Norman cathedral in Europe either! ?

Georgesgran Sun 23-Aug-20 12:07:06

Cloth caps and whippets up here too, Trisher?

mancgirl Sun 23-Aug-20 12:15:30

I have been looking for self catering in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset anytime after schools are back. Proving very difficult. We love Scotland but we were there in July and the Lake District where recently did a weekend. A lot of people have the same idea this year it seems. I'll keep looking!

ginny Sun 23-Aug-20 12:25:26

Cornwall, Roseland or Lizard peninsula.

TrixieB Sun 23-Aug-20 12:36:07

People are elbow to elbow in Salcombe at the moment - very busy with many Londoners in their huge SUVs. We locals avoid the narrow lanes as they tend to drive them in the middle of the road to avoid scratching the paintwork!

Try nearby Bigbury on Sea, where you can take the sea tractor across the bay to Burgh Island (site of Poirot episodes) and the sandy beaches and local countryside are lovely.

cupcake1 Sun 23-Aug-20 12:41:21

I despair at everyone visiting us here in the south west. Caravan upon caravan have descended on the M5 for weeks now and it’s not going to end anytime soon angry. We had a very low R number which I imagine will now be rising rapidly. People I’m sure think Covid is over the way I’ve seen how they behave, it’s like a parallel universe! I enjoy holidays as much as the next person but while the public move about from place to place with little or no distancing skills this pandemic will continue to take hold making the winter months very miserable indeed.

Alioop Sun 23-Aug-20 12:45:27

Get a boat over here with your car to N.Ireland. Scenery up around the North Coast and into Donegal is amazing. I'm heading up there in a week's time to stay and so looking forward to the beach walks and fresh salty sea air. Plenty of places to go, away from the seaside busier towns, take a picnic or get a bag of chips if you don't want to eat in anywhere. Love it! Best of all the dog gets to go too.

dolphindaisy Sun 23-Aug-20 12:48:28

I also agree with Trisher, you really don't want to come to the North East coast with our beautiful beaches, castles, villages and wildlife - all those whippets wearing cloth caps - UGH

keeno Sun 23-Aug-20 13:33:32

Check out West Dorset Leisure Holidays.
Beautiful Jurassic Coast, choice of parks, range of different accommodation, dog friendly, and taking coronavirus very seriously.
I just love their Golden Cap site, or Highlands End.

Katyj Sun 23-Aug-20 14:03:41

I’m looking for the week beginning 7 th Sept just looked at the Dorset place that Keeno mentioned all booked up until mid Oct ,there’s hardly anything available. I’ll keep on looking. Good luck to everyone hope you find what your looking for.

Emptynester Sun 23-Aug-20 14:04:06

jennil23 I was in Sidmouth for my hair appointment on Friday and I was shocked how full of tourists it was. The parking was very difficult. They insisted on walking down the roads 3-4 abreast where possible, large groups in Shops, no social distancing, no masks until stopped from entering shops without, and even then most reluctantly! My hairdressers said they’ve had quite a few comments about “they’ve come on holiday to get away from all that!”. I am used to Sidmouth being very busy in August with holidaymakers and the normal very successful Annual Folk Festival, but this was something else. I shall avoid Sidmouth until the tourist numbers go down considerably.

Toots Sun 23-Aug-20 14:10:41

geekesse.. "Staycation" actually means to stay in ones' own country.. not specifically in ones' own hòme..?

gillyknits Sun 23-Aug-20 14:22:53

Yes Trisher and dolphindaisy the N.E isn’t to be recommended, it’s too unspoilt ! ?

Disneyfan Sun 23-Aug-20 14:31:10

We live in South Wales and are off to the Lake District in a weeks time. Lovely cottage near Windemere. If you've not been it's a lovely area to explore.

JillRB Sun 23-Aug-20 14:31:50

Cabbie21

You may struggle to find somewhere as once the schools are back, lots of retired people will have booked to go away, especially if they have been shielding so far. So I suggest not being too precise where you go, allowing plenty of options,

On the other hand some larger self catering cottages will probably have availability as they normally cater for families with children who by then will be back at school. Most of them will have a sliding scale of charges so if just two people want to book they'll have the pleasure of extra space around then and also a cheaper holiday.
I would suggest our own holiday home on the north west Norfolk coast, but we"re full all through September and a fair bit of October! May I mention it? It's The Patch at Snettisham Beach near the RSPB bird reserve and you can find it online if you're interested!

Bluecat Sun 23-Aug-20 14:39:19

We were booked for Edinburgh and Torquay, before the virus struck. We have postponed both visits till next year. Hopefully there may be a vaccine or a treatment by then. Don't feel safe enough now.

I would recommend Edinburgh for a break away. We love it and go every year. It's a fantastic city and, if you want the seaside, it has a nice beach at Portobello. It is also within easy reach of some outstanding countryside. Its only downside is that some parts are a bit steep, which didn't bother me but is more of a problem now that I have arthritis.

I love Lyme Regis but my arthritic old knees were killing me after our last visit.

nanny2eight Sun 23-Aug-20 15:44:17

Just back from a three night stay in West Bay, visited Lyme Regis too - both places were very busy with no social distancing whatsoever. We spent all our time zigzagging out of peoples’ way, really frustrating. Hopefully it will be better in September!

NannaGrandad Sun 23-Aug-20 16:35:59

We spent a weekend at the Best Western in Bognor Regis recently. It’s actually in Felpham and you can avoid Bognor if that’s not your thing. Sea view room and hotel is literally on the seafront, nothing between it and the beach.
Shingle/pebble beach and we had whole swathes to ourselves when we wanted it.
Great social distancing in the hotel itself, the nearby Lobster Pot eatery and the Fox Inn.
A short drive to many lovely places nearby. I’d recommend it ?

HAZBEEN Sun 23-Aug-20 16:42:51

We went on a 3 night Warners break to Hayling Island last week. Everything in place, restaurant tables well placed, any activities you had to book a time but with so much going on that wasnt a problem. The best part was no kids!! Utter peace!

Cabbie21 Sun 23-Aug-20 17:35:55

I have been looking for self catering properties in late September or October, but they are hard to find, as I predicted. I thought I had found somewhere ideal, in the country, not in a touristy area but within easy drive of the coast, but now DH has said it is too soon. I don’t know what will make him feel it is safe. I understand his caution, as he has health conditions which make him very vulnerable. He has not been out anywhere yet except to get petrol, as he goes for drives for a change of scene but does not get out of the car.
I would not have any worries about the property as the owners’ website shows they are Covid safe.

Ju3260 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:07:46

Whitby

grannyrebel7 Sun 23-Aug-20 18:30:50

All sorted - booked a hotel in Babbacombe. Looks lovely, good reviews, near the beach, full English breakfast. That's all we wanted. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions.

merlotgran Sun 23-Aug-20 18:31:21

What is Hayling Island like, HAZBEEN?

We've been tinkering with the idea of a short stay there as it's half way between my brother's house and some friends we want to catch up with.