Gransnet forums

Travel

Airport Chaos

(48 Posts)
GagaJo Sun 25-Oct-20 19:18:27

Apparently, there is chaos at any overseas airport in a country NOT on the UK red list. So many Brits trying to get home that airports are packed past capacity, no possibility of social distancing.

Not sure why anyone would engage in any form of non-essential travel during a pandemic mind.

glammanana Thu 05-Nov-20 11:32:30

Two holidays cancelled this year DD and I have rebooked for next June and September to be honest I don't even think I want to go now even if things are somewhat back to normal then.

Marydoll Thu 05-Nov-20 11:05:25

Thank you Parsley. I would love a holiday as much as anyone, however until everyone does their bit, we are as you say, going round in circles.

Parsley3 Thu 05-Nov-20 10:51:26

I agree Marydoll. The crowds at Heathrow were a bit alarming. However, there is no government restriction on people flying out of the country to escape the lockdown and when they come back there will be no follow up if they have to self isolate. Therefore, we will just keep going round in circles. Meanwhile, in Scotland we are possibly about to have local travel restrictions put into law. It has to include foreign travel or we are all doomed.

Lucca Thu 05-Nov-20 08:28:10

Ex lives alone and has a significant birthday coming up. He has a “friend” who he stays with a lot in another European country. Personally I would not blame him For trying to get a flight there. Otherwise best he can hope for is for one of our children to drive 1.5 hours and have a walk with him.

MawB2 Thu 05-Nov-20 07:30:16

Are you a new member jackplans ? If so, welcome.

It’s not very clear what your point is though. Would you like to say more?

jackplans Thu 05-Nov-20 07:19:55

Marydoll

Many of us are tired and depressed at the moment, unable to see our families, with some of us enjoying poor health, into the bargain.
I too would love a holiday, but would not dream of having one. I have already cancelled two holidays abroad. No-one should be considering travel abroad, unless absolutely essential. I just don't understand this need to travel in the present circumstances.
We all need to put on our big girl pants and work together if not to eradicate it, but at least to slow the spread.

great

Callistemon Sat 31-Oct-20 10:08:39

Landing at Madeira Airport is like landing on an aircraft carrier dragonfly!

Oopsadaisy4 Sat 31-Oct-20 10:00:54

Spangler I wonder how many of us will be queueing to book a Cruise in the future?

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:49:11

Interesting about Berlin Silverlining I hope the new airport is not so far out.

dragonfly46 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:48:22

Madeira is worse Spangler only certain pilots are allowed to fly into the island because it is so tricky to land.

Firecracker123 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:43:24

I'm flying home today from Turkey no problems here at all, feel very safe. Still lots of British here obviously not on package holidays.

silverlining48 Sat 31-Oct-20 09:25:37

Heard that ten years late, Berlin’s new Brandenburg airport opens today, replacing the two old airports Tegel and Schönefeld. They expect a quiet start.

Marydoll Sat 31-Oct-20 09:18:52

I love Gib airport! I have walked across the runway a number of times.

JackyB Sat 31-Oct-20 09:12:37

What about Gibraltar airport? The runway crosses the road!
youtu.be/1ULNP_U-kA0

I love airports, but don't know when I'll next venture on to one.

People just going on holiday at this time are being rather reckless, but some will never learn.

biba70 Fri 30-Oct-20 22:36:41

Spangler, Tenerife is bad enough- not so much now, but in the 70s for sure.

Tragically, Turkey is off limits now it seems. Poor people.

nanna8 Fri 30-Oct-20 11:24:02

I wouldn’t go near an airport if you paid me just now. Not going to happen because our local one is closed to all international traffic except New Zealand just now . Hope it stays like that until they get over the pandemic, too. We have been locked up for over 6 months and only just getting a bit of freedom and I wouldn’t cope if we had to isolate again. Enough is enough!

Spangler Tue 27-Oct-20 23:12:30

I appreciate that this thread is more about the Covid19 fallout, but, if like me, you are scared witless when it comes to flying, never go to the Caribbean Island of St Maarten. But if there's ever a life post this plague, and you fancy some Caribbean sunshine, do yourself a favour, take a cruise ship.

If you fly into St Maarten, don't, whatever you do, look out of the window. To reach the very end of the runway, which is what the large aircraft need to do because they need the whole length of it to land safely, the plane has to come in over the beach. Not 500 feet over the beach, more like 50 feet. It's not for the fainthearted.

biba70 Tue 27-Oct-20 23:07:34

Perhaps you could find a long term rental from a local garage- and drive home, stopping one night on the way half-way, around Rheims?

GagaJo Tue 27-Oct-20 22:26:42

I do but not here. Until I'm sure I will stay, I won't invest in a car.

biba70 Tue 27-Oct-20 22:16:55

Do you not drive Gaga? Hope things are clearer soon.

GagaJo Mon 26-Oct-20 21:12:14

I am waiting to hear if my school will close. I would love to go home, but although I have flown 4 times since the beginning of the pandemic, am not sure I want to at the moment. Things seem particularly bad if Switzerland is worried.

PECS Mon 26-Oct-20 19:49:09

I am rarely venturing into the local bigger towns never mind overseas! I think we would all like a holiday at a destination of our choice but it does seem a bit foolhardy at the moment!

lemongrove Mon 26-Oct-20 19:34:01

Marydoll

Many of us are tired and depressed at the moment, unable to see our families, with some of us enjoying poor health, into the bargain.
I too would love a holiday, but would not dream of having one. I have already cancelled two holidays abroad. No-one should be considering travel abroad, unless absolutely essential. I just don't understand this need to travel in the present circumstances.
We all need to put on our big girl pants and work together if not to eradicate it, but at least to slow the spread.

Excellent post marydoll ??

biba70 Mon 26-Oct-20 19:32:26

All of Spain is in red zone now and visitors required to self-isolate on return to UK- apart from Canaries. So the airports there are going to be a nightmare.

No embarrassment about going away last week near where we live- we drove there in one go, had self catering apartment with plenty of food, walked in the mountains in fresh air in the middle of nowhere- and hate a couple of times in restaurants out in fresh air on terrasse- with large distances between tables, and everyone moving around wearing masks. Then drove home in one go. No problem.

Flying now, no way. And neither going anywhere indoors or crowded.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 26-Oct-20 15:57:40

Marydoll that’s true, I know a few incidences where folks have been checked up on to see if they were at home

The Doctor should have known better, no excuse!!