Gransnet forums

Travel

Holiday on the 22nd May

(42 Posts)
jeanie99 Tue 23-Mar-21 06:48:14

My holiday with my friend was originally booked for last, that didn't happen.
We thought we would book for 2021 not thinking we would still be coping still with Corvid.
As far as we know it's not been cancelled and we need to pay beginning of April so off we will go.
Isle of Wight is not a place I've never visited and I can't wait.
We'll both have had our second vaccine but I'll still wear a mask.
Is anyone else holidaying?

Ellianne Mon 12-Apr-21 08:53:16

Kim19

I must be getting this wrong. Thought 'free' travel throughout UK wasn't allowed until June (12th) for some reason. What date in May for England, please?

My understanding is here in England we can travel as far as we like from today for a day out. But we can't stay over unless we are one household in self catering accommodation. From May 17th that goes up to 2 households and restaurants opening, so that is a big date for visitors. Once hotels open there will be lots of people on the move.

ginny Mon 12-Apr-21 08:54:44

Off to Devon and Cornwall in July in our tourer. We have all our own facilities .
We have just booked a large house in N. Devon for May next year. Room for all the family ( eleven of us) surely all will be well by then.
We have enjoyed many exciting holidays abroad and hope to do so again but certainly not this year.

Lillie Mon 12-Apr-21 09:16:14

Campsites are open from today too so there will be travelling to and from.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 09:52:54

BlueBelle

Are you sure you can get in Isle of Wight ? I d make a few checks before you pay the rest off

The Isle of Wight is in Britain! Why wouldn’t anyone be able to go? The ferries run all the time, bringing people to work on the mainland.

maddyone Mon 12-Apr-21 09:55:36

Lucca

I know I may be strange but after lockdown the last thing I’d want is to go to a remote cottage ! I also dont plan to pay through the nose for a hotel in this country, and yes I’m aware the UK is beautiful but I just want a total change of scene so as soon as it’s sensible it will be somewhere abroad for me.

Me too Lucca.

Witzend Mon 12-Apr-21 09:57:36

I hope you’ll be able to enjoy your holiday, Jeanie99.

Right after dh retired, we took a 4 day break on the I of W - we’d never been before and thoroughly enjoyed it. IIRC that was in May, too, and we were lucky with the weather.

I’d read that the I of W was still (in a good way) like England used to be, and that did seem a pretty good description.

Kali2 Sat 17-Apr-21 18:55:03

maddyone

BlueBelle

Are you sure you can get in Isle of Wight ? I d make a few checks before you pay the rest off

The Isle of Wight is in Britain! Why wouldn’t anyone be able to go? The ferries run all the time, bringing people to work on the mainland.

There seems to be a very wide range of what people consider 'acceptable' with covid in mind. And the Government rules are NOT clear. On the one hand they say people should still stay local- and on the other hand say you can go on self-catered holidays - but without any indication as to how far. I wish it was clear.

One member of our family insists no-one should travel further than 5 miles from home- others that there is no limit as long as self-catering and following distancing, etc.

Kali2 Mon 19-Apr-21 10:12:22

Any idea or clarification?

25Avalon Mon 19-Apr-21 10:21:51

This year we have decided to have our holiday at home. That means limited phones and emails, ready prepared meals from Cooks, and days out in the area including a meal at our favourite gastro pub. We have fantastic views from our house and live in Somerset. Maybe do a little pottering in the garden. Just chill out and relax in general. Next year something different and hopefully puppy will be well trained by then to go away - maybe The Isles of Scilly, one of our favourite places.

vampirequeen Mon 19-Apr-21 14:41:32

Last June we booked a holiday in Norfolk for this May. We're going even though some things won't be open until our second week away. We've also got a week booked in Lincolnshire in August and a short break booked in Yorkshire in September (again booked last year).

aonk Mon 19-Apr-21 16:15:22

We have a couple of breaks booked in the UK for June and July in hotels. Cottages and remote places don’t appeal and I’d rather stay at home. We did the same last year in July and September and it was very safe and enjoyable.

Hellogirl1 Mon 19-Apr-21 16:19:56

I hope you get to the IOW Jeannie, it`s lovely. We went there for several holidays and loved it, but haven`t been for quite a while. We thought that Freshwater Bay was the best part, although it`s all good.

jeanie99 Fri 30-Apr-21 22:13:47

Mr friend and I have talked for hours on the phone but haven't seen each other since a year last February for obvious reasons.

Three weeks to go and we are off on our trip to the IOW.
I've bought a new suitcase can't wait to fill it but I need to consider the weather.

It's like being a kid again getting all excited, settle down remember you're an elderly person I tell myself.

Have a lovely time everyone wherever you go, I'm sure I will.

Kim19 Fri 30-Apr-21 22:21:19

My 'holiday' plans are to reunite with friends and families at their respective homes and they will come to me when it suits. No commercial thoughts just yet. Plan to gentle ourselves back into the world.

CanadianGran Fri 30-Apr-21 22:36:40

It gives me hope to hear of all your plans! Also I think it is good for local tourism that people (especially the younger generation) are holidaying without flying off somewhere.

In my experience with the younger people I work with, they were going not once every few years, but several times a year; jetting off to far-flung destinations. Now they are being forced to experience their own country, or in our case our own province and finding some lovely vacation spots.
No beach huts though! Ha - reference to another thread.

Ro60 Sat 01-May-21 01:10:21

No I'm staying @ home dodging tourists