Gransnet forums

Travel

Best travel insurance

(28 Posts)
Floradora9 Wed 12-May-21 12:39:16

We get free annual travel insurance with Nationwide but , because of age and health problems , we pay almost £400 to get full cover . This is for the year but last year they refused to refund any part of this despite the fact that we did not use it once. We want to book a December break now but I refuse to pay a full year's upgrade that will hardly be used. They will not let me cover for just one week so the question is who to go with for a week's cover any advice would be appreciated .

Jane43 Wed 12-May-21 12:44:39

We have always been happy with Columbus Direct. We were covered for a single trip to the USA in May last year which didn’t happen because of Covid. Until I read about it in the news I didn’t realise we could get a refund but we made a claim and received a refund for the full amount within a week. I also had to make a claim in 2003 when I was hospitalised for 10 days when on holiday in the USA. They paid all the hospital expenses and flew a doctor over to the USA to accompany me home.

jeanie99 Tue 01-Jun-21 07:45:03

You have options, you don't need to take out a full year insurance, just take out the single holiday cover if that suits best.
We were traveling a number of times before Corvid19 hit,so the annual one with the 60 day cover for world wide cover is best for us.
If we want to travel for longer than 60 days we would take out a single trip insurance.
Just base the cover on your requirements by ringing round all the companies but make sure you are getting what you need.
No company will give you a refund for not using the insurance.

JessK Tue 01-Jun-21 10:32:24

We had our last annual policy with Staysure and it was very reasonable. We didn't have any need to make a claim so not sure how good they are at paying out claims.

mumofmadboys Tue 01-Jun-21 12:37:54

You can do an internet search for single holiday insurance

TheProfessionalTraveller Sat 10-Jul-21 15:29:39

I use Coverwise. They have Covid19 cover, they cover business travel and they also do single trip or annual multi trip insurance.

I've found the prices really good too.

Good travel insurance is so important so I hope you find a policy that works for you.

Mattsmum2 Sat 10-Jul-21 15:37:41

Use a comparison site to look at options. You don’t need to use Nationwide.

Mattsmum2 Sat 10-Jul-21 15:40:46

I would also complain to Nationwide for a reasonable refund and if you don’t get anywhere go through to the financial ombudsman service. When you complain be clear about how you want them to resolve it and what you will accept.

This is of course if you haven’t complained already.

Party4 Sat 09-Oct-21 10:24:44

I have trouble getting accepted for travel insurance due to previous medical problem.Prior to covid my consultant was happy with me and on my next visit was considering stopping my meds but of course I have seen no one due to Covid for 2years..When Covid appeared the insurance I had managed to get, for a 10 day hol later in the year was cancelled by Boots leaving us unable to claim refund of £650deposit (family hol).
I have not required a GP since Jan 2020 (throat infection) but as we now wish to take the original family holiday next year to celebrate our 70ths can anyone with pre existing conditions give recomendations.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Oct-21 10:32:34

Everybody wants a good deal, but the sad fact is that if you’re older with medical conditions you are more likely to get ill. Cost of insurance is based on the likelihood of you needing treatment while you’re away.

That’s the way it works. I’d rather go with someone reliable than take a chance on the cheaply but then I’m the belt and braces type.?

M0nica Sat 09-Oct-21 17:08:56

We need annual cover because we go to France a lot. We were covered by Nationwide as I ahve an account there and DH paid extra. Now they have written and told us that this particular banl account benefit has been withdrawn. The problem is DH had a heart attack and bypass surgery last year, then got an infection that affected his lungs.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Kim19 Sat 09-Oct-21 17:27:54

I had a regular good deal with Staysure but I never had a claim nor any problematical health problems. I feel the only fair assessment is when a claim is made. Then insurers show their true co!ours.

PamelaJ1 Sat 09-Oct-21 19:01:45

Insure and go paid up when we got stranded in Australia last year.
I would say though that we booked our trip with Trailfinders and they were absolutely fantastic in the way that they helped with our return to the U.K. I think we will also use th3m for insurance too next time we travel across the world.

gangy5 Sat 16-Oct-21 15:41:22

I think there are a few insurers who will insure you with a waver which excludes cover for existing conditions. Has anyone used one ? I have had a 'normal' quote for 1 week in Europe costing £630 for 2 of us oldies

Esspee Sat 16-Oct-21 16:01:19

mumofmadboys

You can do an internet search for single holiday insurance

Curiously the quotes I got recently for a 3 week stay in the USA were actually more than the annual worldwide policy I eventually purchased.
No, I don’t understand that either.

Lizzie72 Sat 16-Oct-21 16:18:53

These are the insurers suggested / recommended by the British Heart Foundation

Esspee Sat 16-Oct-21 16:38:14

I have been through the mill trying to arrange travel insurance and have written about it on here at length just recently. To save me having to repeat everything may I suggest you look in the travel forum under “Travel insurance USA post Covid” dated 11th October. By post Covid I mean since the travel restrictions have been lifted (and it doesn’t just apply to the USA.)
Very brief summary - the best quotes came from Allclear and Staysure but Staysure has a connected company called “Paying too much” which supplied a variety of excellent quotes. I recommend using ”Payingtoomuch” then checking the company offering the best option with Trustpilot. We saved a huge amount of money.

Lizzie72 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:35:14

Thanks for that info, Esspee. Just looked at Payingtoomuch and got a quote of £247 for a couple / multi trip / Europe (DH has a heart condition). Looking forward to France next Spring now!

Katie59 Sat 16-Oct-21 20:58:07

If your annual insurance is worldwide for 2 people without restrictions I suggest £ 400 is good value.
If you need restricted cover, eg Europe only or excluding USA it will be much less, also it depends on your medical record and age

Luckylegs Sat 16-Oct-21 23:07:26

How apt that this subject has come up now, as often happens. I’m trying to find new travel insurance but as I have pre existing medical problems, it’s not as easy as it once was. It’s so expensive now, I tried everyone that I could think of, even a broker. In the end, I’ve gone down the route of excluding most of my conditions (as they are not the sort to cause an emergency and we could always fly home). Even this was coming up at almost £700 but I have found a firm who will only charge £350 ish for the year, Europe only, which covers us in case of an accident, etc but not for cancellation, baggage, my unusual medical things. As we own a property we don’t care about baggage or cancellation, just as long as we are covered in case of needing repatriation etc,

M0nica Sun 17-Oct-21 06:59:06

Thank you everyone for all these hints, tips and insurance company names.

We are currently looking for annual travel insurance, Europe only, but DH had heart bypass surgery a year ago and the quotes we are getting are horrendous. Like you Luckylegs, we have a second home. In our case in Normandy, so we can get to a ferry terminal in an hour and like you baggage and cancellation do not really come into it.

gangy5 Sun 17-Oct-21 11:06:07

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I am sure that with your help I will find something.
*Luckylegs' - could you please give me the name of your insurer?

Party4 Mon 18-Oct-21 01:12:04

Many thanks for your suggestions.Will probably only need cover for Europe not looking for a bargain just adequate cover with no hidden loopholes.I would prefer to pay for my GP to complete medical questionnaire as I panic on phone in case I give wrong info.Some friends suffered great financial hardship when insurers refused to cover full costs after they innocently failed to declare an illness some 20 yrs previous.Has anyone ever read or attempted to read their full policy it's a minefield of loopholes.

Esspee Mon 18-Oct-21 07:25:30

That’s why it is so important to answer all their questions truthfully Party4 Insurance companies think they are in business to avoid claims.
I have a heart condition for which I was once hospitalised…….70 years ago. It still affects my premiums.

gangy5 Tue 19-Oct-21 09:56:30

Many thanks Esspee I too have got my policy from payingtoomuch and am extremely pleased with it. A very good recommendation!!