Gransnet forums

Travel

Travel to France this Summer - new regs

(166 Posts)
Kali2 Mon 17-May-21 13:16:26

UK passport holders visiting France as tourists or private visitors (staying with family or friends) for a period of less than 90 days do not at present require a visa.

However, they are required to have the following documentation and they may be required to show all or some of it on entry into France.

A valid passport issued less than 10 years before and valid for at least 3 months after the envisaged departure date;

Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall (Attestation d'accueil));

Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;

Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;

You must have an insurance certificate covering all medical and hospital expenses for which you may be liable for the duration of your stay in France, as well as medical repatriation costs and expenses in the event of death.

With regard to 'sufficient funds' the following levels apply

If you are staying in a hotel, you will need to provide a hotel booking as well as a minimum amount per day of stay

65 euros per day of stay in the case of presentation of a hotel booking;

120 euros per day in the case of non-presentation of a hotel booking;

In the case of a partial hotel booking: 65 euros per day for the period covered by the booking and 120 euros per day for the remainder of the stay.

If you are hosted by an individual, you must provide a certificate (Attestation d'accueil) of staying with a relative validated in the town hall at the request of the person who invited you (note: at the border crossing you must also prove that you have, in addition to this certificate, a minimum amount per day of stay - this minimum amount is €32.50 per day).

Ellianne Mon 17-May-21 13:52:43

If that's how the French want to play it, fair enough
Plenty of other countries do the same.

Kali2 Mon 17-May-21 13:56:44

Actually not new regs- same regs for all non-EU/Schengen. So new for UK people.

Jaxjacky Mon 17-May-21 14:11:30

I think the issue for some is that the Attestation has to be sorted (€30) by the French host and sent to the ‘guests’ for entry. At least that’s what French friends are saying, possibly a logistical problem initially.

Lin52 Mon 17-May-21 14:14:16

Kali2

UK passport holders visiting France as tourists or private visitors (staying with family or friends) for a period of less than 90 days do not at present require a visa.

However, they are required to have the following documentation and they may be required to show all or some of it on entry into France.

A valid passport issued less than 10 years before and valid for at least 3 months after the envisaged departure date;

Proof of accommodation covering the whole duration of the stay (hotel reservation and/or certificate of staying with a relative validated in the town hall (Attestation d'accueil));

Sufficient financial means. The means of subsistence shall be assessed according to the duration and purpose of the stay and by reference to the average prices for accommodation and food in the Member States;

Your return ticket or the financial means to acquire one at the envisaged return date;

You must have an insurance certificate covering all medical and hospital expenses for which you may be liable for the duration of your stay in France, as well as medical repatriation costs and expenses in the event of death.

With regard to 'sufficient funds' the following levels apply

If you are staying in a hotel, you will need to provide a hotel booking as well as a minimum amount per day of stay

65 euros per day of stay in the case of presentation of a hotel booking;

120 euros per day in the case of non-presentation of a hotel booking;

In the case of a partial hotel booking: 65 euros per day for the period covered by the booking and 120 euros per day for the remainder of the stay.

If you are hosted by an individual, you must provide a certificate (Attestation d'accueil) of staying with a relative validated in the town hall at the request of the person who invited you (note: at the border crossing you must also prove that you have, in addition to this certificate, a minimum amount per day of stay - this minimum amount is €32.50 per day).

As long as we can reciprocate, fair enough

mokryna Mon 17-May-21 18:15:18

I want to see my daughter, working in the NHS, near Manchester, so what are the rules for English people traveling France, please?

Ellianne Mon 17-May-21 18:21:53

Just the covid rules - currently essential travel only and quarantine, until restrictions are lifted.
Then as normal.
I hope you get to see your daughter soon.

Dinahmo Mon 17-May-21 18:24:00

mokryna Here's a link to the current rules and regs. It would be a good idea for you to check the site every now and then because things might change.

I hope that you get to see your daughter soon.

www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france/entry-requirements

Kamiso Mon 17-May-21 18:25:07

Sounds like a lot of faff so we’ll go somewhere that welcomes free spending U.K. tourists when and if we go abroad.

At the moment our plans involve Leeds, Nottingham and possibly the south east coast. I would still like to visit Banbrugh Castle but OH is stalling!

Lucca Mon 17-May-21 18:31:29

Kamiso

Sounds like a lot of faff so we’ll go somewhere that welcomes free spending U.K. tourists when and if we go abroad.

At the moment our plans involve Leeds, Nottingham and possibly the south east coast. I would still like to visit Banbrugh Castle but OH is stalling!

You can of course, but it’s hard for those with family living in France !

MerylStreep Mon 17-May-21 18:32:01

I never thought I would get back on a Portsmouth to santanda ferry again to get to Spain/ Portugal.
Now I will, just to avoid France.

Kali2 Mon 17-May-21 18:34:44

The regs I have posted apply to those visitng family or friends- not those staying in Holiday accommodation or Hôtels.

Ellianne Mon 17-May-21 18:37:22

There's talk about Brittany Ferries running a Plymouth to Porto ferry because they can't get into France.

But what's to stop people driving up to France to get in, other than a form?

Urmstongran Mon 17-May-21 18:41:30

I dare say the majority of visitors will be holiday makers, staying in holiday accommodation or hotels so not a problem at all.

?

The only ones who will be affected are those staying with family. Sounds a lot of messing but the French are doing it to their own residents. Their decision!

Mamie Mon 17-May-21 19:00:46

It is the same in Spain. It costs more though, 78€.

Mamie Mon 17-May-21 19:09:13

This was on Twitter yesterday. "Same for Spain. The attestation d'accueil is called a carta de invitación, from the Policía Nacional. 78€ last time we got one for a relative. "
They are rules for third country nationals, which now includes the UK. Brexit don't you know.

Lollin Mon 17-May-21 20:01:27

Many visitors have had bigger hoops to jump to holiday or visit family when coming into the UK. I don’t understand why people didn’t realise this was going to happen. We are no longer part of the group so cannot travel freely as we used to. It will become the norm soon enough.

Urmstongran Mon 17-May-21 20:04:14

And yet the UK is as welcoming as ever. Our doors are wide open whether it’s for tourists or for families visiting relatives. Strange (but good) that we don’t impose reciprocal restrictions and tariffs with the EU. And pettifogging bureaucracy.
?

mokryna Mon 17-May-21 20:20:16

Thank you Dinahmo.

Lollin Mon 17-May-21 20:26:07

Really depends which country you are travelling from as to how welcome you are made to feel. Not saying it’s a bad thing it’s just life as we haven’t known it til now.

Callistemon Mon 17-May-21 20:30:04

Sounds like a lot of faff

We have to do something similar when we go to Australia; it's just routine.

However, yes, the UK has so many beautiful places to visit (and good wine and food too!).

Ashcombe Mon 17-May-21 20:32:16

The border twixt Spain and France?

Ashcombe Mon 17-May-21 20:33:17

My comment was in response to Ellianne

Galaxy Mon 17-May-21 20:42:28

I dont care if I have to paint myself blue, I will be in France as soon as I can.

Mamie Tue 18-May-21 04:32:13

You are joking Urmstongran?
www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/14/hostile-uk-border-regime-traumatises-visitors-from-eu