Gransnet forums

Travel

Covid tests for travel

(75 Posts)
Grandmadinosaur Fri 06-Aug-21 11:18:23

Am I correct in assuming that most countries require PCR tests pre travel and also before returning? I am not travelling myself but this week I’ve spoken to 2 lots of people who think as long as double jabbed that’s all you need. I said to both I’m sure you still need tests. One is my dear friend who usually checks everything out beforehand with a fine tooth comb so I was very surprised. They are booked for the Balearics next month. The other was my son also looking at Balearics or similar. They are trying to fit in a last minute trip before gs starts school in September and dil is too far on in her pregnancy. Again he is always up to date on info ...... usually!

M0nica Sun 31-Oct-21 17:25:52

Just back from France on Friday and about to do the Day 2 antigen house.

The most difficult part is filling in the Passenger Locator form. I have yet to find any information on the form that they did not want at least twice. Our satellite dish was damaged in last week's storms, so all we had was temperamental dongle.

With the UK Visa and Information site breaking down regularly, plus failures on our side, it took us well over 4 hours to manage to complete the forms.

Kali2 Mon 29-Nov-21 16:56:38

Things are changing all the time, and we expect more changes in next couple of weeks. A nightmare!

Currently, even though we are triple jabbed, we have to isolate when arriving in UK and do day 2 PCR and wait for results before getting out of quarantine- and we will have to do PCR to return home and isolate for 10 days.

This is not too bad, but what is so concerning is the threat ba French fishermen and farmers, etc- to blockade the Tunnel and all UK Ports if negotiations re permits are not solved satisfactorily by the 10th of December.

The thought of being stuck with 100s of other cars and lorries in Calais, in the middle of winter- truly does NOT appeal- even if we make sure we have food, flasks of hot drinks, warm socks, pillows and blankets!!! Arghhhhgrrrrrr.

Many families so much looking forward to spend Christmas untited at last at on tenderhooks and realising that they will probably have to cancel.

Lucca Sun 05-Dec-21 22:05:35

I find out today that for my 5 day trip to Italy I shall need 3 tests!!
One before I leave UK. One before I leave Italy PLUS one when I arrive in UK.
I don’t get it. If I have a negative test to get on the flight then presumably all the other passengers will have the same , so how would I catch Covid on ??.
Not to mention adding hugely to the cost of my trip.

Mamie Mon 06-Dec-21 04:47:01

I read about a family from Belgium having to pay 890€ in tests to go to UK for Christmas. As somebody said it is like a negative advent calendar; every day something to make it more difficult. We had planned a quick trip to see the family before Christmas, but have cancelled as we can't risk getting stuck in the UK.

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 08:22:08

Well I’m between a rock and a hard place. Cost of flights is not cheap and is non refundable. Cost of tests is extra but ……clearly a lot less than the flights, plus I’d miss the fun and the change of scene etc etc.
I think given how much h money I have NOT spent since March 2020…..unless they introduce a ten day quarantine as well I’ll just go.

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Dec-21 08:52:51

We were doing this when we went away in September. Why all the complaining?

love0c Mon 06-Dec-21 08:57:07

Ridiculous at the moment. Triple jabbed and you have to isolate for 10 days if you come into contact with someone who has the new Omicron variant. The way to go to stop travel!!

Ashcombe Mon 06-Dec-21 09:00:23

The requirement to take a PCR test before travel back to the UK was lifted briefly but has now been reinstated w.e.f yesterday, I think. DH has booked to travel by €star on the 15th December . He will need proof of a negative PCR test, taken within 48 hours of leaving France. On arrival at my home he will need another negative PCR test and will be required to remain quarantined until it comes through.

Mamie Mon 06-Dec-21 10:10:21

He will also need a test to get back into France Ashcombe.
It would be easier if test arrangements in the UK were more consistent in terms of price and reliability.

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 10:29:33

Rosalyn69

We were doing this when we went away in September. Why all the complaining?

In September surely you weren’t doing 3 PCR tests.

“Complaining “ as you put it because it seems overkill that’s all.

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Dec-21 10:52:20

Actually I was. One before I left the country. One at the resort before travelling home. One 2 days after arriving home.

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 11:08:45

PCR ?

maddyone Mon 06-Dec-21 11:22:06

In September we went to Greece and proof of full vaccination was required, but if we weren’t vaccinated we would have needed a negative PCR instead. To return we needed to get an official negative lateral flow test, and then a PCR after two days when at home. To be honest, I don’t have any problem with all the testing, it’s there for the protection of ourselves and others. When I visit my mother in her care home I need to show a negative lateral flow test result. If I go every day, I test every day. It’s just what it is. I would be much more likely to complain if there was no testing. Testing is to protect ourselves and others.

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 11:24:20

LFT is fine specially as you can do it yourself, it’s the expensive PCR ones that get me !

Mamie Mon 06-Dec-21 11:27:40

I agree maddyone, but do you think it is acceptable that people are having to pay large sums of money for unreliable tests where the results frequently don't turn up?
These are people trying to see their families at Christmas.

maddyone Mon 06-Dec-21 11:48:13

The problem with LFTs is that if you can do it yourself, it’s able to be abused. In Greece we had to go to an official clinic where it was done, and we were then given an official negative test ‘passport’ to show at the airport. It took a couple of hours to find the clinic and do the test, just a couple of hours out of our holiday. Of course we had to pay for the test, it wasn’t free.

Of course it’s less than ideal if the tests are very expensive, but seeing one’s family is not more important than safety. We now have to accept that the cost of tests are part of the cost of a holiday or family visit (if family live abroad.)

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Dec-21 12:22:03

Lucca PCR
Yes all three. Do you not believe me?

Rosalyn69 Mon 06-Dec-21 12:22:46

Oh and I was double jabbed as well.

Sardinia2020 Mon 06-Dec-21 12:46:08

To come back to UK you only need Lateral flow, not PCR. Rules in place from 4 am today. You do have to have a PCR within 2 days of arriving into UK though.

Sardinia2020 Mon 06-Dec-21 12:49:00

From gov website:Changes to pre-departure testing from 4am, Tuesday 7 December 2021
From 4am, Tuesday 7 December all people aged 12 years and over must take a PCR or LFD COVID-19 test before they travel to England from abroad.

You must take the test in the 2 days before your service to England departs. If your journey to England is a multi-leg journey, you must take the test in the 2 days before the start of the first leg.

This will apply whether you qualify as fully vaccinated or not.

maddyone Mon 06-Dec-21 12:49:47

I thought that the requirements have been changed to a PCR before coming back. It used to be an LFT from certain countries (Amber) and then the tests were abandoned altogether. But now a PCR from all countries.

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 14:37:33

Well nobody seems to know do they

Lucca Mon 06-Dec-21 14:38:17

“ take a PCR or LFD COVID-19 test”. Difference surely ???

Sardinia2020 Mon 06-Dec-21 15:10:48

Was quoting directly from government website. I agree it is all confusing.