Gransnet forums

Travel

Please help me to Go On Holiday! ?

(57 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 12-Oct-21 11:15:53

Hello!

I’ve been thinking about starting this thread for quite a while.

I was prompted to do it today due to the chat on the GM thread about the Northumbrian coast, Alnmouth in particular.

Now, like several on here, DH and I’ve had rather a run of bad health recently.

So all my future holiday plans are reliant upon us both ‘perking up’ somewhat.

Can you please recommend places in the UK for us (and indeed others) to go to?

Preferably by the sea (but unfortunately we live as far from the sea as it is possible to be).

We both love quite little villages (like Almouth).
We used to love going to Whitby, but due to its landscape it’s totally out of the question now.

Obviously, I don’t know if it’s actually going to happen, but it’s good to have something to plan for and look forward to.

Almouth is currently top of the list, I know the exact cottage which faces the sea.
But it is such a long drive away…

Any ideas, recommendations please? Thank you!

Granny1810 Thu 14-Oct-21 11:04:55

You don't say where you live. Based on what you have said, Norfolk fits the bill. It does have a long and varied coastline. Villages and towns are also varied ranging from vibrant Great Yarmouth to genteel Wells

Pearlsaminger Thu 14-Oct-21 11:09:01

Your mobility sounds like mine - I can drive anywhere but once I’m there, I can’t go far.

I’m going away at Christmas to a lovely country cottage in Shropshire. I’ve booked to hire mobility scooters for the day in various places I’ll be visiting, to help me get around, and see a bit of outdoor life!

The alternative is to sit in the cottage and watch the world go by. And I’ve done enough of that over that last 3 years, without the ‘rona playing it’s part.

Good luck in your search for the perfect holiday

FannyCornforth Thu 14-Oct-21 11:26:23

Granny1810 I’m in Derby, thank you, I’ve never been to Norfolk

Pearl thank you! Your username is an absolute belter! smile

I see that Anglesey is getting a lot of love, I will have a look…

Ydoc Thu 14-Oct-21 11:35:05

Southwold in Norfolk is lovely

Theoddbird Thu 14-Oct-21 11:37:58

The Norfolk coast is wonderful and very flat. I love days out at various parts. Walcott used to be my favourite. Wells Next the Sea is also lovely.

Lewie Thu 14-Oct-21 11:46:19

Fanny I've pm'd you

Rileysnana Thu 14-Oct-21 11:52:47

Southwold in Suffolk. Love it there.

4allweknow Thu 14-Oct-21 11:56:05

Norfolk is lovely, lots of villages. Huge open skies. Depends where you're are starting from of course. Hope you find somewhere you can enjoy.

OldHag Thu 14-Oct-21 12:55:21

Can I suggest Fanny, that if the cottage you like the look of is being advertised by an agent, that you do a Google search to see if you can find it advertised by the owner. We own a holiday let in West Wales, and used a well known agent to advertise our cottage when we first started, unfortunately come the pandemic, they treated both us and our guests really badly, refusing refunds, etc., so we gave up using them and set up on our own, as did a lot of other owners. It might also be worth looking at websites like www.simplyowners.net or www.independantcottages.co.uk, as lots of owners advertise there, and it will save you a booking fee, and mean that you won't have to go through an agent if you have any questions.

Cabbie21 Thu 14-Oct-21 13:26:41

As Oldhag says. It is important to find somewhere suitable for you. Talk to the owners. Homeowners and Airbnb hosts are usually very good at communicating beforehand and will clarify information.
Many cottages these days are ultra modern and better suited to younger, more mobile people. I study the photos and reviews very carefully to ensure a place meets our requirements eg loo next to bedroom and no steps to it. Enough headroom to sit propped up in bed. High backed easy chair. TV not high up on the wall. Parking on premises. Not hilly so a walk back from beach or shops is doable. And so on.
Norfolk is mostly flat but not everywhere eg Cromer is a lovely town flat and very accessible by bus and train, lots of seats everywhere, but the beach is a long way down. Slopes and steps, so I thought about getting back up! Nowhere to park down the bottom.
I hope you find somewhere suitable. Check cancellation policies. Avoid school holidays. Enjoy!

jaylucy Thu 14-Oct-21 13:28:27

Norfolk and Suffolk are fairly flat and have a myriad of possiblities for a break, depending if you want a country or seaside one.
Places like Wells next the Sea, Snettisham, Cromer, Hunstanton, just a few seaside places, then you have Bury St Edmunds, Kings Lynn, Norwich for if you want somewhere in land.

Mallin Thu 14-Oct-21 13:28:31

These days I use a mobility scooter to get around.
Try your local backstreet second hand type place…..
Never buy one new until your truly certain it suits you in all ways. Check how far it will go between charges. Some only manage 4 miles, usually the type advertised as being lightweight and easily folded. With common sense, scooters which fit in car and requests for accommodation suitable for the less than active, you can go near enough anywhere.

vissos Thu 14-Oct-21 13:30:26

Some places where I live are already booked up to May next year & bookings will really start to ramp up at Christmas. Might not be as bad if people are able to go overseas again, but best get your skates on. If you had to cancel with short notice, would travel insurance cover it?

helgawills Thu 14-Oct-21 14:12:09

Hi Fanny, Hope you have a great holiday, where-ever you go.
As far as I remember, the path to the beach at Bamburgh is just by the south side of the castle. Carpark right nearby, free when we went 2 years ago.
Favourite place in North Norfolk is Blakeny.

Susieq62 Thu 14-Oct-21 14:34:48

Stay in Amble! Great views! Easy walking, good places to eat!
We use Coquet cottages who are excellent staying at Bay View or Seascape but there are other options ! You can access Warkworth, Alnmouth, Druridge Bay , Alnwick etc and not as far to travel !
Or Woodbridge in Suffolk is lovely or Deal in Kent, flat for walking!
East coast colder in January !
Runswick bay is fabulous but limited for walking as hilly! Filey is flatter as are Bridlington and Scarborough on the seafront !!

Cressida Thu 14-Oct-21 14:40:19

Have you considered Cleethorpes?

There are some fascinating cottages to rent on Humberston Fitties. It's a conservation area and the beach is a wildlife reserve.

If you're on Facebook look for 'We Love Cleethorpes' group. Plenty of photo's of the area and helpful posters.

Ranworth1 Thu 14-Oct-21 14:42:29

Teignmouth- in sunny South Devon. Near to Dartmoor and Exeter, and on the main London-Penzance train line. ☀️☀️☀️

Elvis58 Thu 14-Oct-21 15:00:00

Bamburgh is through the sand dunes beautiful beaches in Northumberland.
Went this year for the first time had a great time! Go for it you will love it!

GrannyGear Thu 14-Oct-21 15:34:06

You a few random thoughts:
You mention "we drove" It occurs to me that if your husband is much older you may now be the one lumbered with the job of driving. Some of my friends with elderly partners are now the sole driver in the family. Hire a driver if necessary - or try a coach trip.
A couple of other thoughts: Are you thinking of renting a cottage - self catering is fine, but you might prefer a B&B or a hotel where you are waited on and you can concentrate on enjoying your holiday. Have you considered a holiday based around special interests, such as music or photography?
Think outside the box. If there's something you've always wanted to do go for it! One of my friends is doing a sponsored ride on a zip wire to celebrate her 80th birthday!

GreenGran78 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:05:30

Another vote for Anglesey. We have been there many times over the years, and never tire of it. Camping with five children was a cheap and popular holiday, but I still love going there now that I am on my own. Crossing the Menai Straits to a place that has it's own mini-climate is always a pleasure. Lovely beaches, countryside, Beaumaris Castle, and a short trip back into Wales opens up many more places to visit.
Lots of rentals, B and B's and hotels to choose from too.

Sawsage2 Thu 14-Oct-21 16:06:57

Just back from Cleethorpes. Its lovely now, very green. Premier Inn on front very good, they have big accessible ground floor rooms (I use a mobility scooter). Lovely Heritage railway (takes scooters) outside hotel. Mobility shops in Cleethorpes if want to hire a scooter.

Gin Thu 14-Oct-21 17:03:10

Have a look at Wells Next the Sea in Norfolk. Quaint High Street reminding me of bygone days. Lovely area but interesting in itself.

coastalgran Thu 14-Oct-21 17:29:06

i am Scottish and wouldn't go past some of our beautiful islands off the Scottish coast, quiet, lots of peace, good walking and hospitality, I would also recommend Norfolk especially around the town of Diss on the Suffolk border lots of pretty villages and lovely countryside.

Gwenisgreat1 Thu 14-Oct-21 20:58:10

Llandudno? The town itself is flat and has plenty to offer. It has a top theatre which has quite few London shows. We were there last month. If you go on a coach holiday they will have excursions to see further afield. I felt so invigorated on my return.

JaneJudge Thu 14-Oct-21 20:59:39

I think Llandudno would be nice too. It has loads of hotels/eateries along the prom and it is flat but you are surrounded by mountains