Gransnet forums

Travel

Please help me to Go On Holiday! ?

(57 Posts)
FannyCornforth Tue 12-Oct-21 11:15:53

Hello!

I’ve been thinking about starting this thread for quite a while.

I was prompted to do it today due to the chat on the GM thread about the Northumbrian coast, Alnmouth in particular.

Now, like several on here, DH and I’ve had rather a run of bad health recently.

So all my future holiday plans are reliant upon us both ‘perking up’ somewhat.

Can you please recommend places in the UK for us (and indeed others) to go to?

Preferably by the sea (but unfortunately we live as far from the sea as it is possible to be).

We both love quite little villages (like Almouth).
We used to love going to Whitby, but due to its landscape it’s totally out of the question now.

Obviously, I don’t know if it’s actually going to happen, but it’s good to have something to plan for and look forward to.

Almouth is currently top of the list, I know the exact cottage which faces the sea.
But it is such a long drive away…

Any ideas, recommendations please? Thank you!

Chinesecrested Thu 14-Oct-21 21:39:36

How about a coach trip?

Hellogirl1 Thu 14-Oct-21 21:56:04

Another vote here for Wells-next-the-Sea in Norfolk. We hired mobility scooters for the week, delivered to our B&B from Cromer. Wells is easy to get around by scooter.

Ellylanes1 Thu 14-Oct-21 22:36:08

One of my sons live in Alnmouth, a beautiful place to be.
I think it is a good idea to break your journey, stay a night half way. I'm sure there will be great accommodation available later in the year at short notice.
I hope you get your wish to revisit, it is such a beautiful place, and health allows you both to enjoy yourselves.

Lizbethann55 Thu 14-Oct-21 23:09:35

You don't need to go as far as the Lakes. Get off at junction 35. Silverdale, Arnside, north Morecambe Bay area. Absolutely beautiful coast, countryside and villages.

mammabear Fri 15-Oct-21 09:59:54

Love a seaside holiday.
Cottages.com is a great website for browsing, you can also use Tesco vouchers for a discount too…
Love The Northumberland coast , beware of the speed cameras though…

Shropshirelass Fri 15-Oct-21 10:18:30

North Wales, the Llyn Peninsula is beautiful as is Anglesey.