Gransnet forums

Travel

March sun advice

(107 Posts)
Lucca Sun 23-Jan-22 09:51:35

Where would you advise for a weeks sun in March ?
Just to sit in the sun and read, go for strolls, maybe take a boat trip, eat some nice food ?Don’t need night life or “entertainment “!
In Europe please….

Oldbat1 Sun 23-Jan-22 19:34:02

Yes Madeira is a lovely island. Only be aware regarding flights as airport is a difficult one to land at for the pilots plus winds can cause airport to close. Friends couldn’t land on a couple of visits and redirected to one of the Canary Islands (they have a timeshare). Lots of great walking to be had.

Hithere Sun 23-Jan-22 19:50:45

Southern Europe avoiding the rush of week of Easter (not sure when it falls this year)

dragonfly46 Sun 23-Jan-22 19:55:11

Definitely Madeira.

silverlining48 Sun 23-Jan-22 19:56:43

A friend told me that Madeira is very very hilly....

Hithere Sun 23-Jan-22 20:06:28

Algarve?

Aveline Sun 23-Jan-22 20:30:58

Madeira is very hilly but there are cable cars, buses and taxis. It's worth it to visit the lush greenness and beautiful gardens

Bobbysgirl19 Sun 23-Jan-22 22:07:54

Algarve, Cyprus, Costa del Sol, Tenerife south, all can have pleasant weather. I personally wasn’t keen on Madeira - very hilly, and I love a nice beach.

Callistemon21 Sun 23-Jan-22 22:10:03

silverlining48

A friend told me that Madeira is very very hilly....

It is hilly but there are flat walks along the levadas.

Aveline Sun 23-Jan-22 22:17:29

Oh just reading this! I'd go back tomorrow if I could! This is the view from our balcony looking up to Reid's. Madeira. Sigh

MerylStreep Sun 23-Jan-22 22:29:08

Lucca
I know you stipulated Europe but would you consider Morocco?
There are some lovely hotel resorts and good prices.

annodomini Sun 23-Jan-22 23:07:22

Easter is in late April this year, so March should be free from families enjoying school holidays. The only time I went to Madeira in March it was quite cloudy with showers. We drove to the highest point to get some sunshine above the clouds and I got dreadfully sunburnt. blush I would like to see Majorca in March when the almond trees are in blossom. Or Menorca which is a more peaceful island than its bigger neighbour.

Buttercup1954 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:08:44

Praaia da Rocha in Portugal. We went there for a week in September. It's nice and flat and the people are very friendly. Great place to do what you are planning - relax!

Daisend1 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:10:42

Why not just that little further then a hundred percent sure of sun then nothing, in my view, beats the Gambia.

Susieq62 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:10:44

Gran Canaria is good and you can find quiet areas

Madmother21 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:12:40

Would Cadiz not be a bit nippy then, what with the wind blowing off the Atlantic? I do love Cadiz.

Suzey Mon 24-Jan-22 11:14:35

Canaries ,Gran Canaria 1st choice for me

Millbrook Mon 24-Jan-22 11:17:04

Do you have to go anywhere? Help save the planet; keep another COVID variant at bay; save money (or even better - give it to people who need basics, never mind holidays). Enjoy the fact that you have time and money, and create a holiday at home. The sun shines here too - you just might have to wait a few months! (Puts on tin hat....)

Madmother21 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:18:04

I think you’ll have to take your chances anywhere at that time of the year, but i would go to Puerto Rico in Grand Caneria with confidence

Alegrias1 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:18:44

Crikey.

Lucca, you are single handedly to blame for all the ills of the world.

Is that you that's kicking off in Ukraine?

GG65 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:25:56

You’re never guaranteed good weather in Europe in March. I think you’ll be limited to the Canary or Cape Verde islands.

trisher Mon 24-Jan-22 11:29:24

I love Madeira but it is hilly. They do have a great bus service.

I'm another one who loves Tavira. Lots of nice flat walks. Tuk-tuks if you are feeling lazy or a little train. And a great train service which will take you along the coast if you want a day out. It is a boat trip to Tavira Island if you want a beach but then it is so lovely.
I wanted to stay at the convent (now a very posh hotel) but it is expensive. They have a small museum inside so you can go in and see how the rich live!!!!

Juliet27 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:45:59

I’m another fan of Madeira. Yes it’s hilly…reminded me of terraced rice fields in places. Not good for beaches so that’s a plus for me but beautiful walks and scenery.

Fashionista1 Mon 24-Jan-22 11:59:25

We always go to Tenerife. If you go to Los Gigantes/Pueryo Santiago it's on the west coast but quite a way up the coast from Las Americas. It is quiet, nice restaurants and bars, some lovely hotels and mainly people over 30. At La Arena, a walk away, there is a great black sand beach. Theres a nice walk right along the coastline with beautiful views and the weather is always good.

Severnsider Mon 24-Jan-22 12:02:10

Mainland Europe is a bit weather risky in March. Go for the Canaries - Gran Canaria has the best climate - I agree with Casdon Puerto Mogan is lovely, although lacking in hotels. We liked Meloneras, a bit off the beaten track with a nice beach.

Fashionista1 Mon 24-Jan-22 12:02:45

I hated Madeira, all tunnels through rock, hilly, no good beaches to speak of and very touristy.