Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling alone and independently

(47 Posts)
biglouis Tue 15-Mar-22 12:38:55

Oh the freedom of it! I did not begin until I was middle aged - past 40. Began when a friend let me down over a holiday to Bruges and I went anyway.

After that I went to Morocco, Egypt and many cities in Europe. I usually bought a package and used it as a base. But i got more and more angry at the way in which single travellers get ripped off with "single room suppliments".

Since then I have travelled independently all over Europe, Iran, Syria (x2) Nepal (x2) Dubai and other mid Eastern countries. Its sooo easy to book a hotel via the internet. You arrive as some weird hour and tumble into the room as allocated.

Next day you contact reception and bargain for a better deal. If you travel off season or to non tourist destinations then you have the power to go to any hotel and therefore to haggle. Ive never failed to end up with a much nicer room for the same or lower price.

The only negative about being a lone female travelling independently is that in some countries the "room boy" gets the wrong idea and comes tapping on your door at weird hours. A wooden wedge (Amazon) and selective deafness (together with unplugging the phone) are your friends.

Im probably done travelling abroad now (mobility issues) but I have a lot of interesting experiences to look back on.

WhiteElephant Wed 16-Mar-22 11:45:43

I went to England, alone when I was 62 yrs old. Ohhh the family went nuts! I have very good friends that took really good care of me and I had so much fun. It was after I had 2 heart attacks in one night (died both times). It was something I had to do for myself before it was too late. I will never regret it. My hubby made the mistake of telling I could not go and he didn't want to... so I bought my tickets and said see you in a week. We are still married btw. Now if I want to go, he comes with.

biglouis Wed 16-Mar-22 16:35:44

I never told my family where I was going as they would have gone nuts. I gave my contact details to one nephew because I knew I could trust him not to contact me for triavial reasons.

There are only a couple of places left on my bucket list.

One is Yemen which is not possible because of the war.

Another is the Galapagos Islands to see the giant reptiles, particularly the tortoises. Unfortunately you have to be fairly active for this type of trip as they do live in inaccessible places and I now have very limited mobility.

I would also like to see Saudi Arabia. Have been to all the other countries in that region but tourism in KSA has only recently opened up.

MissChateline Wed 16-Mar-22 17:31:53

I traveled independently with just a small rucksack for many years mostly alone and occasional with my daughter or a friend. I started and gained my confidence in Sri Lanka. After that came India, Thailand, Nepal Bali and Laos all visited several times. When I got together with my now ex partner we travelled in a much more organised way with tours arranged and far better accommodation. I always envied the freedom of the backpackers we met on these trips. Now I’m single again as soon as I can I will be off with only a flight ticket and a lonely planet guide book. Can’t wait.

Serendipity22 Wed 16-Mar-22 17:46:14

The only place I have gone it alone is the South of France but I had been before about 15 time, it was fannnntastic, I totted about on my 3" heels. I was in my late 30s and I didn't have problems with mobility.

Looking at photos, I can not believe I totted round the South of France in HEELS, but I did it.

smile

CanadianGran Wed 16-Mar-22 18:29:15

Good for all of you. My DH does travel, but he is getting a bit set in his ways and isn't as interested as previously. Will I ever do it on my own? I'm not sure, if I'm honest!

I could do the sightseeing and travel on my own, but think meal times would be lonely. I'm not really outgoing enough to ask a stranger to join me to sit.

Grannyben Wed 16-Mar-22 18:55:10

I don't fly but I have travelled alone all over the uk. I find it's all in the preparation, as long as you've done your homework before hand everything should be fine.
Canadian Gran, I would rather eat alone than with a complete stranger so I always take a book. That way I'm not say twiddling my thumbs and looking a bit desperate

Nonogran Wed 16-Mar-22 19:21:04

Anyone contemplating travelling as a lone woman? I hope this website might help:

You stay in the homes of other women.
www.sisterstay.com/

crazyH Wed 16-Mar-22 19:37:03

How wonderful! Hats off to you - my sister has done similar and enjoyed every minute of it. Sadly, I’m not as brave as her …

AGAA4 Wed 16-Mar-22 19:51:42

Thanks for this thread. It is inspiring me to take the plunge and travel on my own.

mokryna Wed 16-Mar-22 20:09:17

nonogran I hope you don’t mind but am going to ask other grans if they have had experience with ‘sisterstay’ as it sounds good and safe for an older woman.

Katie59 Wed 16-Mar-22 21:26:44

I have travelled solo when husband did not want to go with me, but I’d rather have company, singles holiday groups are good too. Not an issue now OH likes pretty much the same things I do and he pays.

Fennel Wed 16-Mar-22 21:54:24

Now I come to think of it , I travelled alone to sons in Kuwait and India. though when I got there I was going to stay with family.
The last time was in 2012 to Kodai Kanal in Tamil Nadu in SE India.
I would love to go back but the journey is long and complicated and I'm in my 80s.

Fennel Wed 16-Mar-22 22:11:25

ps www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgahkqrCiZQ
This is the last stage of the journey - a modern recording?
It was a lot more primitive last time I went.

mokryna Wed 16-Mar-22 22:55:05

I don’t mind traveling at all, I have been going solo for more then twenty- five years, it’s the rooms I get given when I arrive.

Once I had booked a double but on arrival I was told that there was a couple arriving and I would be given a single instead. Couldn’t argue, it was in the middle of nowhere, in Scotland, no time to find something else. The single bed must of served the child, who had left home, since they were three.
Another time, in Cuba, although it was a double bed it was in a windowless room and the double room in a hotel in Rome was in the basement until I stood my ground. But I am looking forward to going away this summer.

Good idea biglouise about the wedge.

biglouis Thu 17-Mar-22 01:56:56

I could do the sightseeing and travel on my own, but think meal times would be lonely. I'm not really outgoing enough to ask a stranger to join me to sit

I agree that this can be challenging because eating out is a social occasion and its nicer to have a companion. Often I would do so much during the day that when evening came I would be happy just to eat at the hotel or have rooms service and an early night.

Ive had experience of travelling with groups where I ended up as the unpaid tour guide (because I was the only one who spoke the language or had visited the city before). It didnt take long for me to dump the group and go off to have some me time. Shopping and sightseeing are so much more fun on your own because you set your own agenda. I HATE shopping with a group of tourists. The prices instantly go up and I am a haggler.

biglouis Thu 17-Mar-22 02:01:10

The trick with hotels is to book independently - not through a travel company. You then have the power to go next door and they dont want that if they have empty rooms to fill. So you end up with a room upgrade and not the shitty dump in the basement.

schnackie Thu 17-Mar-22 11:35:48

Thank you nonogran for the tip about Sister Stay. That sounds just perfect for me!

SaraC Thu 17-Mar-22 12:15:15

Women Welcome Women Worldwide (5W) has been going for about 40 years. You pay an annual membership fee of £35 and can stay, or meet up with, women of all ages, from all walks of life on a reciprocal visiting basis all over the world. Local groups also meet up and will often organise longer events for visitors. There are also house swap listings and ‘travel with me’ listings too. Do have a look - it’s a truly wonderful organisation!

Sue65 Thu 17-Mar-22 12:58:02

Sorry WhiteElephant
You didn’t die
Dead is forever
A cardiac arrest perhaps?

Nanny27 Thu 17-Mar-22 13:26:38

I was also wondering how white Elephant managed to 'die' twice.

Daisydaisydaisy Thu 17-Mar-22 13:30:37

When I was 8 I went away with the Brownies,When I was 12 and 13 stayed with a Dutch family for 3 weeks each time (to do with Ginger bread)and when I was 40 odd I went to Belfast by plane...nothing exciting however I do feel I would have the confidence to go away alone if I wanted to even if I felt a little apprehensive smile

Graygirl Thu 17-Mar-22 13:42:02

A friend of mine DH passed early 2020 they had a favourite city about 60miles from home. She went alone last summer, her mode of transport surprised everyone, used public transport. Never told anyone called her DD one evening and told her I am in- staying at priemer inn DD went nuts. When I spoke to her she said the planing involved ,4buses, 6hours,was half the fun plus not telling anyone felt like a schoolgirl again. Stayed 2nights,packed a solid shell rucksack , she uses a 4 wheel rollator. Did her the world of good done it twice since, She has just discovered Hermes have lockers and she could send stuff ahead. Talking of a two stopper . I want to join her she has had so much fun

Nannipocci1 Thu 17-Mar-22 13:59:11

My kind of women! Over the last 20 years since my husband died suddenly I also have travelled independently. India + 3. Gambia + Jordan Nepal backpacking Greek islands tracking in the Himalayas and loads of Europe Sadly due to health issues. I am 77 now I am limited but am now renting nearer home after selling my camper van. Do what you can while you can. I have so many takes to tell !!!!? up the oldies !! Roll on n xx winter and I will be off to air b n b in the canaries again for 6 weeks. ??

Bijou Thu 17-Mar-22 14:29:28

When my husband retired we rented our bungalow and spent our time touring by caravan over Europe. When he died in France after ten years because I have never my son towed me back to U.K. But that next winter I hired a mobile home in Spain and travelled there by Eurolines coach. When returned to my bungalow after spending two,years of living in Spain in the winter and summers in my caravanI went on holidays four or five times a year abroad alone and visited my niece in Barbados and son in California several times until I was 84 and only stopped because the arthritis in my knees stopped me. I preferred travelling alone and pursuing my own interests.