Gransnet forums

Travel

Airport Delays

(33 Posts)
NanaPlenty Wed 06-Apr-22 20:05:29

Just as we felt ready to book a break away the chaos hit at airports with delayed and cancelled flights and general mayhem. I don’t want to miss the opportunity to go with friends who are booking for May but do we think the situation. Is going to continue to be difficult with high Covid rates, shortage of airline staff etc. Anyone heard anything about this ?

Shinamae Wed 06-Apr-22 20:08:40

Only what I’ve seen on the news and it looks very chaotic

lixy Wed 06-Apr-22 20:18:53

Haven't heard anything about travelling later this year. I guess if we avoid the start and end of school holidays there's a good chance of it being quieter.
I hope you enjoy your break. smile

NanaPlenty Wed 06-Apr-22 20:23:11

Thanks Lixy.

Pantglas2 Wed 06-Apr-22 20:39:18

A few friends have gone abroad in the last couple of days with cabin luggage only and have had no problems- maybe that’s the key?

If you’re only going for a week don’t have a suitcase in the hold which is where the queuing is horrendous.

Callistemon21 Wed 06-Apr-22 20:46:45

I saw chaotic queues going through security on TV.

Georgesgran Wed 06-Apr-22 20:55:43

DD2, Husband, Baby, wheelchair, pushchair and luggage flew from JFK over night to Amsterdam and onto Newcastle this morning, landing at lunchtime. No delays at all either way - think it’s more holiday destinations affected.
Must say, I was relieved,

Floradora9 Wed 06-Apr-22 21:14:30

Flew Easyjet to Lanzarote a week or so ago and no delays at all sadly DH came home and tested positive for covid .

Pepper59 Thu 07-Apr-22 03:13:09

I haven't flown since the mid 1990s, don't miss it either. Looking at the news I wonder if it depends on the airline. Mind you Covid isn't going anywhere. I'd make sure I had good travel insurance.

Aveline Thu 07-Apr-22 07:53:57

Flew to London then Paris the day before yesterday and all was fine despite us being worked up to high doh by the media.

Mollygo Thu 07-Apr-22 07:58:16

Took 2.5 hours to get through check-in/security@ Manchester@ 3.am.
No problems, just slow.

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 07:58:37

Manchester airport has huge queues. Has done for a while. At Christmas I took 1.45 hours to get through baggage drop and security. To go to Italy.
My son had an hour in the check in queue last week t9 fly back to Sydney

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 07:59:23

Mollygo..not sure I’d call that no problem!!

Mollygo Thu 07-Apr-22 08:05:29

Lucca

Mollygo..not sure I’d call that no problem!!

I’ve found Manchester has long queues even before Covid. We always allow 3 .5 hours, so 2.5 was a bonus though I was surprised it was so busy so early.

Sago Thu 07-Apr-22 08:06:25

We flew from East Midlands on the 31/3 to Faro, it was seamless.
Our daughter and family did the same flight the following day, again seamless.
Our son and his wife flew from Manchester to Faro on 27/3, they nearly missed their flight because of security queues.
They said it was chaos.
Jet 2 offer a “ twilight” check in where you drop your bags the night before, great if you are staying near the airport.

It is astonishing though how many people arrive at an airport with overweight bags, prohibited items at security and lack of paper work!

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 08:07:15

I just looked at easyJet …they did cancel lots of flights on Wednesday…..I mean lots. Nothing to do with the media !

Lucca Thu 07-Apr-22 08:10:24

My son said he was stuck behind a man at security who was irate because he had to abandon his shampoo as it was too big…..
I mean fgs. Shampoo ???

Kalu Thu 07-Apr-22 08:25:11

It never ceased to amaze me what people thought was ok to present at security! Must have packed their brain in their suitcase. Damned annoying for those of us aware of allowance expecting to quickly pass through. Grrr!

glammanana Thu 07-Apr-22 08:42:37

Lucca

My son said he was stuck behind a man at security who was irate because he had to abandon his shampoo as it was too big…..
I mean fgs. Shampoo ???

I feel so sorry for the Security Staff who have to put up with stupid people like that.

Shandy57 Thu 07-Apr-22 08:51:50

I've booked Easyjet Newcastle-Belfast on Sunday to see my daughter for the first time in a very long time, I was disheartened to see them cancelling flights. It's going to cost me £80 in a taxi to get there, fingers crossed I will fly as I'll definitely lose my hotel booking, non refundable.

Aveline Thu 07-Apr-22 10:09:16

Yes we certainly saw some inconsiderate/stupid people at check in and Security. The poor staff. They have to deal with them and the irate people in the queues.

V3ra Thu 07-Apr-22 12:51:34

It varies by airport and airline.
We flew from East Midlands airport on Tuesday morning. Having read about the queues we'd booked Fast Track through security, turned out there were only ten passengers waiting anyway so that wasn't necessary!

Another concern now is the dates on people's passports.
A lady sitting by me on our Jet2 flight should have flown earlier that morning with Ryanair.
Despite having checked in online and printed her boarding pass, she was refused boarding as although she had six months left before the expiry date on her passport, she didn't have ten years and six months from the issue date.
Ryanair and I think Easyjet are imposing this rule.
So her family flew with Ryanair at 7am as booked, and Jet2 let her board our flight at 10:40.
And Ryanair will let her fly home ?

GrandmaSeaDragon Thu 07-Apr-22 13:02:54

DGS2’s school skiing trip was originally booked with BA last Saturday. Flight cancelled and party booked on two flights from different airports! First flight made it out Saturday with DGS aboard, other flight cancelled and earliest alternative offered was yesterday, so 2nd group have missed out completely. DGS is having a good time but missing his friends. We just hope they will get back on Saturday with no hitches.

Teacheranne Thu 07-Apr-22 13:03:58

I’ve tried to understand the ten years and six months from issue date but I just can’t get it! Can someone pleas explain in very basic terms with examples?

Urmstongran Thu 07-Apr-22 13:08:26

Manchester seems horrendous. It’s our airport from here as it’s only ten miles away. We fly out to Malaga in two weeks. I hope the situation is sorted by then. Andy Burnham said on the local news on Tuesday he was thinking of calling out the Army to help. Passengers were queuing from outside the building. Sounds a nightmare.