Gransnet forums

Travel

Travelling tomorrow and have hurt knee and can’t walk

(52 Posts)
Betty65 Sat 11-Jun-22 14:18:12

I can’t believe this, we are due to go on holiday to Crete tomorrow after waiting 3 years due to covid. We have rearranged the holiday twice and we’re so excited. I have badly pulled a muscle in the back of my leg and to put weight on it is truly painful. Today is worse and I don’t know what to do - I cant even walk to the kitchen. I thought I’d call the insurance company but they close at 1 on a Saturday then open Monday. Do I go and hope to get a wheelchair at the airports and resort. Do I forfeit the holiday. I am so sad and frustrated

SueDonim Sat 11-Jun-22 14:24:24

Are you using ice on it and taking anti-inflammatory medications? I’ve found Sainburys long action Ibuprofen to be very effective for this kind of pain.

I do feel for you - I broke my leg the day before going to the Caribbean! ?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 11-Jun-22 14:25:14

Ring round to find a Physiotherapist and see if they can take a look.

If it is a pulled muscle, heat and ice packs (not at the same time, but alternating) ibuprofen and a gentle stretching exercise might ease it.

Betty65 Sat 11-Jun-22 14:38:57

I’m taking ibuprofen every 3 hours, paracetamol every 4 hours. I saw an osteo yesterday who confirmed the pulled muscle. It was getting better this morning then at lunchtime I stood up and got a horrible pain and it got worse from then.

Beautful Sat 11-Jun-22 14:47:46

Have you popped to A & E ... if not pop to a pharmacist ... hopefully you may want it strapped up ... saying that your decision, may advise not to fly who knows , although hope not ... here's hoping will soon heal & enjoy your holiday

Beautful Sat 11-Jun-22 14:49:10

Sorry didn't see your other post, saying that may worth going to A & E

Georgesgran Sat 11-Jun-22 15:01:39

Lost my post! I’d ask at Pharmacy if it’s advisable to have it strapped up first. A&E sounds good, if you’re up for a very long wait.
Perhaps if you decide to go, you could get some treatment out there, without having to claim on your insurance.

crazyH Sat 11-Jun-22 15:13:02

My friend who has arthritis, always asks for a wheelchair, but I think it has to be done along with the flights. I’m afraid it’s a bit too late, not your fault ofcourse.
Hopefully the ice packs and other remedies will make you feel much, much better by tomorrow. My go to medication is Ibuprofen or Voltarol SR if I can get it.
Good luck - enjoy your holiday !

Jaxjacky Sat 11-Jun-22 15:23:36

A&E is for life threatening conditions, not a pulled muscle.
Pharmacist is a good idea.

Nannarose Sat 11-Jun-22 15:25:41

I feel for you! I was in a similar position a few years ago.
Have you had anything like this before / do you have any idea why it happened?
Do you know where you are going - if you can have a nice time without needing to walk too much?
If you're familiar with something like this, think it will be short-term,and you can handle it, then gamble on it getting better, take your medication (and yes, I think a pharmacist's advice would be useful) and go. Ring the airport for help (they are used to this). But do consider what insurance cover you have(see below)
However, if you have any inkling that it is unfamiliar or might worsen then cancel, and claim on your insurance.
If you do that, contact your GP first thing on Monday, explain to reception that you don't need an emergency appointment (assuming you don't!) but you do need to log this and request a letter for insurance.
If the insurance company can't be contacted at some times, then they will expect this. I was able to email mine so it was logged.
Georgesgran - I think this might have been good advice prior to Brexit. Now Betty will need to check exactly what is covered on reciprocal care - and - as she has already seen an osteopath, it may be considered a 'pre-existing condition'. This means that reciprocal care (and possibly travel insurance) might be invalid. Betty, I would check very carefully on these.
My own insurance company were excellent - the GP gave me a letter based on history taken over the phone - and the insurance company repaid me in full. So I was out only the cost of the GP's letter.
I know that although I was very disappointed, I was able to get care, heal properly, and enjoy a holiday later. I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide.

StarDreamer Sat 11-Jun-22 16:01:05

Jaxjacky

A&E is for life threatening conditions, not a pulled muscle.
Pharmacist is a good idea.

A&E means Accident and Emergency,

Why do you claim it is not for a pulled muscle?

Yes, A&E is for life threatening conditions.

Are you suggesting that A&E is only for life threatening condions? If so, on what basis please?

Betty65 Sat 11-Jun-22 16:05:48

Never had anything like this before. Poetically I was doing some zoom exercises on Wednesday with the nhs physio for arthritis in my other knee. We were using bands for extra resistance and think that’s when it happened but the pain did show till Thursday when it was mild and I put it down to the kind of pain you get after exercising. Then Friday it kicked off big time. Hear what you are saying about the osteo- thank you

foxie48 Sat 11-Jun-22 16:08:32

I'd ring 111, they should then arrange an appointment with your local minor injuries clinic. You could just go to your local minor injuries clinic but having done that when I slipped and broke my wrist they did see me but said I should have phoned 111 first.

SueDonim Sat 11-Jun-22 16:12:11

I think you need to consider what you would want an A&E dept to do. Is there anything they could offer you that you’re not already doing? The ED my dd works in can’t really offer much unless you need to be admitted, and especially not at weekends when the likes of of physio are closed.

Would a walking aid help, do you think, to take some of the weight?

Ladyleftfieldlover Sat 11-Jun-22 16:12:16

I would say go. First, a quick trip to the Pharmacy to ask their advice - they are usually up to speed with all sorts of medical complaints. Ask at the airport if they have any emergency wheelchairs and once you’re on the plane at least you can then rest your leg. Enjoy your holiday. My story is that a few years ago we were due to drive down to Devon. I woke with the worst migraine ever. We were supposed to be leaving after breakfast. At noon, elder son persuaded me to get in the shower . I did and not long after I was sitting in the back of the car with younger son holding a sick bowl. I threw up the whole 4 hour journey. I stayed in bed for two days and then had a lovely time. At least we were at our holiday destination!

crazyH Sat 11-Jun-22 16:12:46

It is on record that people use the A&E Department as a quick fix, an easy way out. That is why the waiting time is so long - 13 hours as per recent news. Personally, I wouldn’t go to a GP for a pulled muscle let alone the A&E Department of a Hospital. A pulled muscle is a self-limiting condition. But that’s my opinion.

Jaxjacky Sat 11-Jun-22 16:15:23

This StarDreamer
www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care-services/when-to-go-to-ae/

StarDreamer Sat 11-Jun-22 16:26:30

Jaxjacky

This StarDreamer
www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/urgent-and-emergency-care-services/when-to-go-to-ae/

Thank you for providing the link.

The page includes the following.

> If you're not in a life-threatening or serious condition, you'll be prioritised by the A&E hospital team along with other patients waiting to be seen – arriving by ambulance does not necessarily mean you'll be seen sooner than if you had walked in to A&E.

Candelle Sat 11-Jun-22 16:33:57

Betty65, I feel for you. I broke my leg and other foot shortly before a cruise and just had to cancel as I was completely non-weight-bearing.

Practically: I would do much as you have been advised.

In no particular order:

Ring 111 and take advice.

There are walk-in NHS 'urgent care centres' (not for A and E type scenarios): 111 should be able to direct you.

Find a private doctor. You should be able to be seen today. Just be aware that if they give you a prescription to has to be filled 'privately' which means not paying the usual NHS fee/or free if age-related. If it is a choice between this or cancelling, I'd cough up!

Speak to a pharmacist ensuring they know your holiday is tomorrow: stock up on drugs you may need (take someone with you to ensure you can buy the quantity you need).

Contact the airport for wheelchair assistance. I think this is usually book three-weeks beforehand but my husband hurt a foot a day before we flew and on arrival at the airport he hobbled to a chair whilst I found assistance. They organised a wheelchair pusher to take him into the aircraft and had someone waiting at the other end too. Both worked well again for our return flight, so it can be arranged at short notice. It may be prudent to arrive an hour or so early for your flight (at least) though...

Beg or borrow a walking stick or a crutch. Even if you get through this initial stage of your problem a stick/crutch will give you a little flexibility regarding moving around.

Act swiftly.

I wish you the very best of luck and if you can get away, have as good a trip as possible.

Wishing you well.

Betty65 Sat 11-Jun-22 16:34:58

I won’t be going to a&e as we are supposed to be leaving our house just after midnight tonight for an early flight. Hubby is off to get some neufen plus so will need to make ultimate decision after taking those. I think there maybe wheelchairs at the airport - it’s the other end that may prove problematic as I couldn’t get on or off of the transfer coach at the moment

SueDonim Sat 11-Jun-22 16:36:31

Taxi at the other end, Betty? That would solve the bus issue.

Grandmafrench Sat 11-Jun-22 16:39:20

crazyH

It is on record that people use the A&E Department as a quick fix, an easy way out. That is why the waiting time is so long - 13 hours as per recent news. Personally, I wouldn’t go to a GP for a pulled muscle let alone the A&E Department of a Hospital. A pulled muscle is a self-limiting condition. But that’s my opinion.

Hear, Hear!
I think that Betty65 would be the first to agree that her pulled muscle, however limiting, is neither an Accident or Emergency. The incident was last Wednesday, she has already done what she can to try to recover, and quickly, including a visit to an Osteopath. It's now Saturday - the only Emergency is that she's now concerned as to whether it's a good idea to fly out on holiday tomorrow or not. It's a holiday emergency and very annoying, but nothing which would warrant taking up space in the A&E department of her local hospital. Too many people are doing that already, hence the waiting times.
I think after missing out on holidays for so long, I'd really want to go - as long as I used the assisted transport through the airport, and was armed with sufficient cold packs, analgesics, and walking stick; but I'd promise myself that I'd properly rest and use the warm sunshine and the freedom of nothing to do as an opportunity to get my leg back in proper working order again.
Rest is paramount and don't take liberties with the leg! The analgesics will be much more useful to ensure a good night's sleep rather than something to help you run around in the daytime doing things you're probably not up to!!

Good luck with whatever you decide and feel better soon.

Candelle Sat 11-Jun-22 17:24:38

Betty: see my post of 16.33.

Without any prior notice we arrived at the airport and I found someone at a 'help desk' who arranged an immediate wheelchair transfer. A wheelchair awaited us on arrival and both were waiting for us on the return leg. It can work well.

Can you arrange an appointment with a private doctor to check you should travel and won't injure yourself? That or a walk-in (hobble-in?) clinic would be a first stop.

Please try to beg or borrow a walking stick or crutch - this would help you immensely.

Good luck.

grannysyb Sat 11-Jun-22 17:29:32

You can ask at the airport for assistance, don't always have to book it in advance.

Beautful Sat 11-Jun-22 17:34:23

Can I add ... she may have a torn ligament ... in some cases need surgery ... so A & E could well be advisable