Gransnet forums

Travel

Being blithe and bold, booked a break to beautiful Barcelona

(38 Posts)
silverlining48 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:30:31

We also went to Sitges on the train, it wasnt far. There happened to be a big religious procession going on, with fireworks being thrown rather too wildly, we had to hide in doorways to avoid being set on fire....all good fun and very colourful, though unnerving for us. It was unexpected and very colourful.
Sitges is an attractive typical Spanish resort, and made a change from the big city.

BigBertha1 Wed 31-Aug-22 22:16:02

We went for for the Sagrada Familia. The Alan Parsons album Gaudi inspired us...music well worth a listen to.

foxie48 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:21:35

Love, love love Barcelona! I did a food tour and it was great fun, the Sagrada Familia is just breathtaking and I enjoyed just wandering the streets. The time went so quickly. Enjoy!

Farmor15 Wed 31-Aug-22 21:19:18

The history museum in the Gothic quarter is fascinating - you go down in a lift - like travelling in a time machine - to Roman remains excavated under the present city.
The public transport is very easy to manage. There's plenty to do for 4 days without leaving the city.

Retread Wed 31-Aug-22 21:15:21

I've been to Sitges, although some years ago - lovely beach, nice shopping lanes, a great holiday vibe, plenty of restaurants and hotels. As an aside, I think we were the only heterosexual couple there that day! It is a popular gay destination (you may be aware of that). Barcelona is fab. Enjoy.

Georgesgran Wed 31-Aug-22 21:13:39

Ooo - yes Casdon I forgot about the market. I was amazed at the size of the fruit, especially the tomatoes. Little things eh?

Casdon Wed 31-Aug-22 20:08:23

My favourite place was La Boqueria, the big indoor market, the produce in there was spectacular. It’s a great place for a long weekend. Try the open air bus tour as well, that was excellent, with headphones for English.

mokryna Wed 31-Aug-22 20:04:53

How did you find the underground? Did you visit Sitges and was it worth it? Would you recommend a walking tour, if so which one?

Yes I understand about pickpockets. My friend got done twice when we were in Florence. Luckily I was wearing a money pocket inside my tight fitting jeans. Too many gelos …

MerylStreep Wed 31-Aug-22 19:31:13

I love Barcelona.
Georgesgran has mentioned some of the best sites.
Do you like cable cars ? This is fabulous

www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/en/attractions/cable-car-barcelona.html

But please please be aware of pickpockets. Make sure you wear a shoulder bag in front of you.
Be careful when getting on a bus/train. If you feel you are being crowded, you probably are. This to enable pick pockets to cut your bag from yourself.
It’s still a wonderful city, though ?

fairfraise Wed 31-Aug-22 19:29:20

Another great place to spend a couple of hours is CosmoCaixa, the science museum which has a great aquarium. You could spend hours there. The Miro museum is lovely too but make sure you check the closing time before you go. You can get a funicular up to it. Barcelona is great!

Blondiescot Wed 31-Aug-22 19:20:52

I love Barcelona. I would suggest doing one of the hop-on, hop-off bus tours, as they are a good way of seeing the city. The Sagrada Familia is a must-see, and continuing the Gaudi theme, I love Parc Guell, Casa Batllo and Casa Mila. If you love art, there's also the Picasso Museum and Fundacio Joan Miro. La Rambla, despite the warnings about pickpockets, is also worth a wander - and of course, you've got to sample authentic tapas!

Georgesgran Wed 31-Aug-22 19:15:54

We just wandered the streets!
The Gothic cathedral is fabulous, but you’ve to book well ahead to get into Gaudi’s masterpiece Sagrada Familia!
Lovely beach, marina, harbour with boats offering tours out to sea, lots of restaurants, streets with designer shops and Gaudi architecture. Las Ramblas - a pedestrian street that everyone wants to walk through, so very busy. There’s a zoo and aquarium if you fancy either. My companion had mobility problems, so we didn’t plan much ahead and stopped regularly for outdoor coffee/wine and people watched! We loved Barcelona, but they’ve stopped direct flights from Newcastle, so we’ve just been to Malaga instead.

mokryna Wed 31-Aug-22 19:02:59

Going somewhere I have never visited for four days end of October.
What did you do there suggestions, welcomed before I plan local visits?