Gransnet forums

Travel

Rail booking and travel is a nightmare

(34 Posts)
Prentice Tue 25-Oct-22 20:19:56

silverlining48

Sounds absolutely dreadful. I am not tech either and my old iPhone is mostly used as a camera.

I am not tech savvy either, there are many older people who are not.
It does sound a nightmare now, booking a ticket and having to show this ‘ticket’ on an app to show you have it.Booking services will all be online in the near future and ticket offices a thing of the past, just as online banking is taking over and online shopping.
Oh it did used to be so easy, just strolling into a station and buying a ticket for the next train to wherever you wanted.
It is one of those things that is done for the convenience of the service and not the customer.

Wheniwasyourage Tue 25-Oct-22 17:38:11

Sounds as if ScotRail isn't as bad as we thought... We are fortunate enough to live within walking distance of the station and so get (paper) tickets and sometimes reserve seats there. Usually we don't reserve seats as there is almost always an unreserved coach on which you can take your chance. Also if the type of train is changed at the last minute the reservations don't transfer and are just unavailable.

ayse Tue 25-Oct-22 17:29:29

Chestnut

I haven't booked a train for some time but I always booked through Red Spotted Hanky. You need to set up an account but then you can always book through them. I believe some trains do not have reserved seats.
redspottedhanky.com/

Thanks Chestnut. I used to book through the Trainline but swapped when this got more difficult with printing tickets. Cross Country is going the same way. It’s especially bad if you use the App! The train I booked asked me to book seats!

Anyway thank you for the suggestion

Chestnut Tue 25-Oct-22 17:25:31

I haven't booked a train for some time but I always booked through Red Spotted Hanky. You need to set up an account but then you can always book through them. I believe some trains do not have reserved seats.
redspottedhanky.com/

ayse Tue 25-Oct-22 16:34:28

I can’t say I’m a technophobe but it’s really off putting. I wish someone would renationalise the railways. It couldn’t be any worse than it is now! Oh for the time when I could go to the station, buy a ticket and know exactly which one to buy. It’s choice gone made until you just want a paper ticket.

????

silverlining48 Tue 25-Oct-22 16:20:08

Sounds absolutely dreadful. I am not tech either and my old iPhone is mostly used as a camera.

Dottydots Tue 25-Oct-22 16:09:42

I'm 80. I only travel on a train with my son now as booking a trip for myself is a nightmare and has had me in tears. I am lucky that my son realises this and sorts everything for me.

MayBee70 Tue 25-Oct-22 12:22:47

I’m a complete technophobe and wouldn’t know how to do that. I’m sure a lot of people my age are even more technically inept than I am.

ayse Tue 25-Oct-22 12:19:19

My DH and I have both got rail cards to travel to Bristol and return over Christmas. OK, I know train travel is expensive but otherwise it’s drive and hope the weather is OK.

I want to have a BIG grumble!

I really dislike having to use mobile phone tickets. I’m ok to book online and don’t mind printing tickets off as a backup. Today, I booked for us on Cross Country website. There was NO CHOICE and I ended up with mobile tickets with no seats booked (although I did tick the boxes).

I called their customer service. Apparently there are some ‘services’ that now only have mobile tickets. Additionally you are not able to book seats on the “Manage my tickets” section for either journey. I’m absolutely disgusted, p****d off with the cost and the lack of customer friendly apps.

The only good thing was that I was quickly put through to a ‘customer service’ person. They were unable to help me. The best they could do was to refund my ticket and try to rebook the same tickets. The operator told me I’d selected the wrong choice. I had to point out that there was no choice available.

My blood’s still boiling and I’m sorry for the rant but online services seem to me to be an excuse for dumping good customer relations. I feel somewhat held to ransom by all this. Surely these companies who are making massive profits could at least continue to give customers a choice, especially as the cost of using the train is enormous