Gransnet forums

Travel

So - Jersey or Guernsey - and why?

(45 Posts)
Fleurpepper Tue 05-Sep-23 15:49:18

Never been yet- and it is on the bucket list for next year. Any advice welcome.

rosie1959 Tue 05-Sep-23 16:44:21

We have been going to Jersey for several years and thoroughly enjoy it. Much bigger than Guernsey with plenty to see and do. Jersey also has some great shopping.
We always use the same hotel and probably go back for that alone as it’s the most relaxing establishment with wonderful gardens to take it easy in and service second to none.
We travel by fast ferry as I have not yet worked out how to get two weeks packing in a small suitcase plus the ferry is much more comfortable for my DH with much more room. We do take our car but rarely use it as the bus service is very good.

silverlining48 Tue 05-Sep-23 16:58:14

Been to both just once each so this is my opinion. We hired cars in both islands so saw a lot,
Both nice, Jersey is bigger and busier and we both preferred Gurnsey especially St. Peter Port.
There were boat trips to other islands fromGuernsey though should be similar from jersey.
There was a lovely looking hotel on st brelades bay in jersey which I rather liked though.

Joseann Tue 05-Sep-23 17:03:46

Both.
Jersey has more going on and more to see, but Guernsey is sort of prettier. Both capitals have good shops, restaurants and cafés. I think St. Peter Port has more of a French feel, and the German Occupation Museum right by Guernsey Airport is really interesting, but then so is the Underground Hospital on Jersey.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Sep-23 17:08:55

Jersey for me. Have been to Guernsey once and didn’t particularly enjoy it. Jersey has much more going for it. I have spent several holidays there.

Witzend Tue 05-Sep-23 17:14:30

I’ve fancied Jersey for decades, but have never yet been. Dates back to pre-marriage when I worked for an airline that flew to Jersey, and the Redcaps (airport staff who first meet the plane, or used to) were invariably very fit looking, bronzed young blokes, who looked as if they’d just come off the beach to do Redcap duty!

Joseann Tue 05-Sep-23 17:24:20

Memories Witzend.
I bought my wedding lingerie in de Gruchy in St. Helier, and some Guernsey pearl jewellery. 👰‍♀
Sorry, I am digressing here too!

eddiecat78 Tue 05-Sep-23 17:29:43

Both lovely in different ways. How are your sea legs? The crossing can be very choppy

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Sep-23 17:31:06

The wondrous de Gruchy! I still have a store card.

Joseann Tue 05-Sep-23 17:32:00

Germanshepherdsmum

The wondrous de Gruchy! I still have a store card.

👍

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Sep-23 17:33:24

Crème de la Mer and many other lovelies with no VAT!

silverlining48 Tue 05-Sep-23 17:46:55

We flew into guernsey with a small airline forget name, from Gatwick

TerriBull Tue 05-Sep-23 17:47:43

I would like to go to both, I've also never been, so I'll watch this thread with interest. I'd maybe have a slight preference for Guernsey but I imagine it's a lot quieter and more difficult to get to. We'd have to fly my husband suffers from sea sickness, he can just about hold it together for the Isle of Wight, but that's so near the mainland. I'd much rather go by boat, we did cross to France a few times by ferry but he consigned those arduous crossings to Room 101 when the Channel Tunnel opened.

CanadianGran Tue 05-Sep-23 17:56:30

I can't compare the two as I've only been to Jersey, but absolutely love it. Beautiful beaches, towns around little coves, or long stretches of beach. Lots of nice cafes and restaurants, and lovely countryside as well. There are a few castles to explore, and some nice gardens, as well as the Underground Museum which highlights the WWII invasion by Germany.

I agree that the hotels on St. Brelade's Bay looked very nice.

I'm a bit biased though, since my Mum was from Jersey, and I have relatives there still.

Beechnut Tue 05-Sep-23 17:59:54

I’ve been to both and also Herm for a day trip from Guernsey. We went to Jersey at the end of May and it was very windy, too much for comfort at times.

Greenfinch Tue 05-Sep-23 18:32:08

I have been to both and prefer Guernsey. Jersey is better for shopping but I found Guernsey more relaxing. It is nice to visit the other islands while there. Sark can be reached easily from both but Guernsey is more convenient for Herm I believe.

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Sep-23 18:41:47

eddiecat78

Both lovely in different ways. How are your sea legs? The crossing can be very choppy

We flew to Jersey in an aircraft with props! It was rather a long time ago.
We hired a car when we arrived and explored the island, were also there for the Battle of Flowers.

I haven't been to Guernsey but DD has and loved it.

It depends whether you want quiet and peaceful or busier with more to do, FleurPepper

Have you read/seen The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society book or film?

Beauregard Tue 05-Sep-23 19:08:20

We've been to all of the channel islands, but particularly to Jersey several times. Jersey is my favourite - more to see and do, I think. We used to stay in or near to St Helier and use the bus service to get around the island, although we've also stayed in the hotel at St Brelades Bay that silverlining48 mentioned. We didn't enjoy Guernsey as much, but it is a good base for visiting the other islands. Sark is well worth a visit - famous for not having any cars....although there are a lot of tractors instead! One of our best experiences was flying low over the sea from Jersey to Alderney in an 8 seater plane. So close to the pilot you could speak to him!

1summer Tue 05-Sep-23 19:18:05

I have lovely fond memories of Guernsey. WhenI was 16 I was asked if I would like to be a companion for the summer to an old Aunt of my Uncles wife. She rented a large house in St Martins and various family members came for a week or two. She didn’t allow a TV to be put on and radio only on World Service no Radio Luxembourg!
She taught me how to play Canasta, drink Pimms and I ate lobster for the first time.
The owner of a hotel in St Martins was a singer who she was friends with, his name was Ronnie Ronalde (I think) and I used have to go with her to listen to him sing!! This is where we drank Pimms.
The house had a bike and I cycled around the island most days, I remember it being beautiful. We also took trips to Alderney, Sark and Herm all lovely.
I would love to visit again.

eddiecat78 Tue 05-Sep-23 19:33:55

I am the proud owner of a jug that spent the Occupation of Guernsey buried in my great aunt's garden. She had to leave in a hurry and hid some of her treasured belongings , reclaiming them when she returned after the War

Fleurpepper Tue 05-Sep-23 19:57:58

Ah thanks all, sounds like Guernsey is for me. Shopping is not my thing, and I love nature, flowers, wildlife, etc.

We want to take Yata the dog- is that possible on the ferry? From where?

Callistemon21 Tue 05-Sep-23 20:39:25

From where?

Poole, in Dorset.

Dogs must be in a pet carrier and left on the car deck, I think, but are looked after.
We didn't take ours as we flew over.

Joseann Tue 05-Sep-23 20:43:42

You can get a fast ferry from Poole to Guernsey or the slow ferry from Portsmouth. The fast one is a bit more noisy and bumpy in my opinion. The dog stays in your vehicle on the car deck.
The company is Condor Ferries.

Susiewakie Wed 06-Sep-23 11:29:07

Interesting thread I'm going to jersey on 16th September for a week ! Will report back

ninamoore Wed 06-Sep-23 11:30:30

Jose Ann : Degruchy the Harrodsburg of Jersey. My friend bought a fur jacket from ther and added it on the her Aunt’s account. Degruchy staff knew my friend and her aunt I was so jealous