Gransnet forums

Travel

Long haul journeys

(27 Posts)
Cath9 Thu 10-Sept-26 13:55:41

Any oldies 77 and up travelling alone on long haul flights
Last year I went to visit my son in NZ. But this year what keeps putting me off is hearing from young and old,
‘I wouldn’t go that far’
I have actually been to NZ twice but the first trip was before my husband died

Witzend Thu 10-Sept-26 14:05:27

Good on you, if you’re still up for it!

Also 77, I’ve done masses of long haul in the past, but don’t do it any more, a) because I now really dislike airports anyway (never used to) but will tolerate for shorter flights, including just across the pond. Anything longer, with increased jet lag, I won’t any more, since I don’t sleep well anyway.

PamelaJ1 Thu 10-Sept-26 14:36:00

In my case I’m always in charge so if I went on my own I’d have less to worry about!
I’d go on my own to visit daughter in Australia if my husband wouldn’t go. I’m not quite as old as you but nearly.
I’ve been travelling on my own since I was 11 but back then I’d be sitting with one or two other youngsters with unaccompanied passenger badges pinned to us.
I think back in the day I was more worried about getting on the wrong bus than the wrong plane.

Patsy70 Thu 10-Sept-26 14:36:24

My sister, who is 88 years old, has travelled from her home in Spain to Brisbane, via Gatwick and Singapore, to spend three weeks with her daughter and three grandsons. She had very comfortable, smooth flights travelling premier economy.

Cath9 Thu 10-Sept-26 16:52:03

Thanks,
It is the months of waiting before the flight that seems to get me down and now being in my late 70s
Once I am at the airport it isn’t too bad although, as most of you pointed out, I don’t like airports so much as I used to do when my late husband was alive. Even Las Palmas airport has become so much bigger from when I first flew to Gran Canary.
Of course my dear brother brought up(
‘‘What are you anxious about when you have done the trip before!’
A typical remark from an x army chap!

M0nica Thu 10-Sept-26 21:48:35

I have a friend of 82, an inveterate traveller who still does several long haul flights every year

Bigred18 Thu 10-Sept-26 23:02:09

I'm 83 and travel annually from Sydney to UK. I enjoy travelling alone, I'm my own boss! Always travel Premium Economy, very comfortable

RillaofIngleside Fri 11-Sept-26 13:47:05

I have to say we are right off long haul flights. And I am only 5 ft 1, so even premium economy causes the pressure on the backs of my legs to be uncomfortable. I take blow up cushion to rest my feet on.
Airports are unpleasant and we do only short haul flights now. If we can, we cruise from the UK or use Euro Star.

Cazza1953 Fri 11-Sept-26 13:48:14

We regularly travelled to Australia where my daughter lives, but now I’ve had a knee replacement and a DVT and my husband had had a minor stroke, I’m worried about travelling so far. Just wondering also what the insurance would cost.

BlueSapphire Fri 11-Sept-26 13:49:29

Flew to South Africa three years ago - I was 78!

Aveline Fri 11-Sept-26 13:56:09

My most recent (last month) solo long haul trip to South Africa was a disaster from start to finish. Long boring story but late night flight cancelled with 20 minutes notice. Hundreds of us left. Eventually went back home the next day minus my luggage. Catalogue of disasters. I suppose I impressed myself by actually coping and doing all the right things. I must say that I was impressed by Heathrow. Lots of helpful kind staff. BA- 😡😡

Sue500 Fri 11-Sept-26 14:39:31

Travel to Australia twice a year to family.
Not at 77 yet, but look upon the journey as means to an end. If I don’t go won’t see family. I also think flying is a solitary occupation.

Susieq62 Fri 11-Sept-26 18:42:19

Went on my own two years ago and got a great deal for business class via Mauritius!
This year we are both going to Brisbane via Singapore and I am dreading it as other half never stops moaning. I suspect this might be the last long haul due to cost of flights, insurance etc plus there are other things we want to do!
Much easier to travel alone if I am brutally honest

Cath9 Fri 11-Sept-26 21:50:57

That gives me a positive feeling, so well done all but sorry to read about the trouble with the S African flight.
I will keep reading your replies although with myself I also have a condition that can get worse if I am very tired etc

Juicylucy Fri 11-Sept-26 21:59:35

I was told recently “ don’t let the old lady in” meaning once you start questioning doing things due to your age you’re letting her in to dictate. I’m 70 and going to solo tour around Thailand in the next few months. Do it while you can.

Aveline Sat 12-Sept-26 10:13:08

I'd suggest throwing money at it. Go business class if you can get a good deal. It's worth looking after yourself so you'll be at your best on arrival.

GrannySomerset Sat 12-Sept-26 10:24:31

The thing is to keep doing it. I haven’t flown since 2018 as DH’s health made travel a penance rather than a pleasure, and have now lost the will to even try. I despise myself but can’t face the inevitable uncertainties which is really sad.

Aveline Sat 12-Sept-26 10:56:06

I'm sorry to hear that GrannySomerset. Surely some uncertainties can be ironed out in advance. Is there somewhere you'd specially like to go?

Grammaretto Sat 12-Sept-26 11:08:11

I keep saying I'll go one last time.
I travelled alone to NZ to stay with DS2 family in January 2024. I stayed a month and had a wonderful time.
I was proud of myself going outside my comfort zone but on the journey I met several women, older than me (I was 75) who regularly do these journeys.

I hadn't been out since 2012 when DH did a lot of the planning and decision making so that was the biggest hurdle for me.
For example I decided not to break the journey by staying overnight as we'd done as a couple. I think the best thing for me was to get there as quickly as possible and not risk getting lost in Singapore or Tokyo -places we had been to together.

Good luck to you. PM me if you want any more suggestions 😁

Multigra1n Sat 12-Sept-26 21:27:58

My 3 grandchildren under 5yrs live in Miami. I was crew for 30+ years and I hate flying now. Service standards have dropped, too many people, awful food and lack of sleep.

Menopauselbitch Sat 12-Sept-26 21:58:39

Please go. My friends mum travelled twice a year to her daughter until she passed away at 93

Witzend Sat 12-Sept-26 22:05:36

BlueSapphire

Flew to South Africa three years ago - I was 78!

I’d probably do that again - minimal jet lag!

Cath9 Mon 14-Sept-26 19:52:33

Well, I am book despite I guess thinking negative thoughts for a few days as what happened last year.
I have now done a thread to see if anyone has visited Fiji, the Cook islands etc as once I arrive in Auckland I intend to visit a Pacific island

Grammaretto Mon 14-Sept-26 21:02:36

Well done Cath . I hope you have a brilliant time and the journey isn't too bad.

I've not visited any Pacific Islands - yet

Cath9 Tue 15-Sept-26 07:20:22

Read all your wonderful kind replies again, so keep them coming while my thread is still online!