Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Favourite and least favourite adverts on television.

(50 Posts)
supernana Mon 13-Jun-11 12:29:29

Advertisements that turn you on and off...
I enjoy any with giggling babies and I dislike most adverts promoting fragrances...the voice-overs have as much personality as a beetle on heat and the models appear to be high on some waccy baccy...

harrigran Mon 13-Jun-11 12:51:18

I used to love the roller skating babies in the Evian water advert smile

gkal Mon 13-Jun-11 14:20:28

I like the xxxx kitchen advert where they are all dancing. I like the xxxxx supermarket family ones as they make me laugh and the parents are very sweet. I don't like the giggling babies ones but only because the giggling sounds too harsh for a baby. Finally, I love the x & x meals for 2 for £xx as they always look so good!
x = I don't want to get myself into trouble by naming names but you know who I mean!

glammanana Mon 13-Jun-11 14:34:23

I HATE HATE HATE the toilet cleaner adverts and those horrible
gungie characters they show,you can bet your life I have just sat down with a cup of tea and a snack when they appear,also the kitchen
cleaner adverts with the disgusting worktops.
The ones I love are the dog food adverts who show a Jack Russell
who looks just like my Barney and the M/S food adverts

JosieGransnet (GNHQ) Mon 13-Jun-11 14:37:48

Just to clarify - there are no rules about naming brands/companies etc on Gransnet! You're welcome to state opinions about anything - it won't get you into trouble, we promise!

susiecb Mon 13-Jun-11 16:03:09

I hate the ads that puport to be showing you real people and their enjyment of the product any product - they are so obviously actors.
BUT I do love the little boy dressed as Darth Vader just like my grandson and the lovely lady advertising tea who says she hates tea and prefers gin. Go Girl Go!

lucid Mon 13-Jun-11 16:19:17

I hate the adverts for ear wax products....yuk...they always come on just as I'm about to eat.
Love the Weetabix ad where the animals talk...especially the little hamster when he says"I'm alright"....gets me every time grin

supernana Mon 13-Jun-11 16:27:17

susiecb The lovely lady who hates tea and prefers Gin is a sure winner - together with the wee robot [with ga-ga eyes] As for sniffing piles of freshly washed clothing - or going out with the girls for a jolly evening and talking about bloating and constipation - or being yelled at to hurry to the ongoing sofa or bed sale [complete with a lovey-dovey couple between the sheets] - or any man made to look foolish because his missus can do any number of jobs that much better in half the time...Well, that's a different story!

MrsJamJam Mon 13-Jun-11 16:36:19

Darth Vader boy is definitely my favourite of the moment. Makes me smile every time! Can't stand any that show women as obsessed with trivia like the smell of their laundry - but I also dislike the ones that make the man look inept so that we women will feel superior. All of us are good at some things and not others, gender doesn't come into it.

Grumpyoldwoman Mon 13-Jun-11 17:30:16

Love. love love the Darth vader...just like my wee grandson !!!
Used to love the Barclaycard water slide.
Go Compare can Go and take a running jump !!! and any filthy toilet advert just as we are eating !!! and DFS !!! Arrrrrrrrgh !!!
Oh and KFC ...what a good Mum she is ..spending 12.99 on a poorly balanced meal. OMG what a lovely meal you could make with 12.99 !!!!

glammanana Mon 13-Jun-11 17:47:51

Where are these families who can afford to feed their families that KFC
stuff,for 12.99 you can feed the family for two days with fresh food
not that cardboard stuff,and oh yes the Darth Vader ad is fabulous
reminds me of my little GS Luke,(aptley named me thinks)

crimson Mon 13-Jun-11 17:48:13

I stop whatever I'm doing whenthe Darth Vader ad comes on and chuckle every time I see it [VW always do brilliant ads]. Think I'm the only person ever to hate the Evian water ads with the babies, and I hate any ad that puts a different voice to someone, especially an adult voice to a child.

HildaW Mon 13-Jun-11 17:50:20

Agree with so many of these...Darth Vader especially!
Loathe the Iceland ones....making out that £2 here and £2 there is cheap when if you added them up...and spent that on some quality ingredients you would have much better food and no packaging mountain!

Also scream at airfresher ones....would rather have to odd cooking smell than all those nasty artificial chemicals flying about the place .... its the implication that you are letting the side down if everything does not smell of exotic niffs!

supernana Mon 13-Jun-11 18:08:03

Grumpyoldwoman...Darth Vader gets my vote, too. As for filthy/smelly lavatories and the things that inhabit them - a woman called Carol, who jumps up and down and screams insanely as her friends lose the plot [thanks to some bingo game] - dining with style at that Pizza place ["kids eat free"] - No wonder Mum looks smug - 'cos there's no washing up to do...and then there's the highly refined garbage about the latest wonder face cream [containing unmentionable ingredients] that hold the secret to eternal youth. Is there no end to it all? Oh dear! I had better go and chill out in the quiet corner - no such nonsense there, thank goodness!

greenmossgiel Mon 13-Jun-11 21:05:44

Love the advert with the lady who prefers gin...so do I! I do like a good cuppa though!

numberplease Mon 13-Jun-11 21:32:33

Yuck, I HATE gin!
I like the Meerkats, hate the one where a shapely girl gets out of bed in her vest and knickers and goes sachaying off down the street, hussy!! I also love the one where the cats have grown thumbs and come aftger the milk!

Grumpyoldwoman Mon 13-Jun-11 21:51:10

CRIMSON, I also hated the Evian Baby advert ..those babies were creepy and don't get me started on the colour of they body suits !!

heleena Mon 13-Jun-11 21:52:13

I like the panda with his 'bisquwits'

I often used to wonder about the RSPCA advert which stated 'No animals were hurt in the making of this advertisement'. The NSPCC never used put a like disclaimer about the children in their adverts, Did anyone else notice that? confused

greenmossgiel Mon 13-Jun-11 21:52:26

Just been next door as it's my neighbour's birthday, numberplease! Had two large gins, and a few crisps. I then came back and had two large slices of homemade cake.....how grown-up can you get? I hadn't had any dinner and I was a bit tired, 'cos it's Monday and it was the day for the grandchildren and my wee great-grandson..! As he's only a year old, and I'd spent a lot of time singing Old Macdonald, I had quite a bit of mince down and inside my shirt, because that's what he was having for dinner. Oh well, I'll have my dinner tomorrow - I think it'll keep till then! grin grin

numberplease Mon 13-Jun-11 21:56:23

Don`t be going hungry, Greenmossgiel! We don`t want you wasting away. We do a lot of singing Old MacDonald as well.

Annobel Mon 13-Jun-11 22:19:22

Ricky Tomlinson slobbing around, pretending to cook a Farmfoods dinner - Yuk!
And I don't know if those advertisements for Chanel no 5, starring Nicole Kidman are still around, when she's wafting around on a roof saying, 'I love to dance.' So soppy and wishy washy.

Magsie Tue 14-Jun-11 09:37:18

Like numberplease I love the Cravendale milk cats with thumbs! I quite like the little dog who can iron, cut the grass etc.
Adverts I don't like are usually for cars, sofas, replacement windows or perfume. Some of the perfume adverts seem quite explicit to me and I feel quite uncomfortable when watching them with my little grandsons.

Littlelegs Tue 14-Jun-11 09:44:49

I like the gin ad too. Also the one with Harvey the dog doing the ironing

I'm still trying to train my own dog to do that!! no luck as yet though.

My favourite at the moment has to be Darth Vader.

absentgrana Tue 14-Jun-11 10:59:53

I haven't seen – or maybe just haven't noticed – many of the advertisements mentioned here. I do recall the ghastly women and the conversation about constipation. Who imagines that a group of women meeting up for a gossip have nothing better to talk about than constipation? Who walks about with treatment for it in their handbag? Has to be a man, surely. I did love the Bacardi ad with the night-clubbing cat shown quite a while ago – not that I drink rum so it didn't achieve the desired result in my house. Compare the meerkat.com was funny to begin with but has now become almost as irritating as that one with the opera singer and silly socks. All car advertisements strike me as unbelievably silly and self-indulgent. As a rule, advertisements tend to put me off a particular brand rather than encourage me to try it.

numberplease Tue 14-Jun-11 15:18:40

Heleena, I don`t like to argue (well, not much!), but I think you`ll find that the NSPCC ad has small print across the bottom saying that the children are all actors.
As for the opera singer, (Go Compare), I loved the forst one that they made, but after that they just got silly and tedious.