Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Favourite and least favourite adverts on television.

(51 Posts)
supernana Mon 13-Jun-11 12:29:29

Advertisements that turn you on and off...
I enjoy any with giggling babies and I dislike most adverts promoting fragrances...the voice-overs have as much personality as a beetle on heat and the models appear to be high on some waccy baccy...

gma Tue 14-Jun-11 15:38:27

Just loved the Specsavers ad! The one with the shepherd (who needs glasses) trying to shear his sheep and clipping the poor dog as well. It is still shown sometimes on C4. Love the black sheep looking through the wire netting - gets me going every time.(and the background music is very good as well) It was filmed in the Faroe Islands and the music is by Una Palliser and titled 'Mo Ghile Mear'

heleena Tue 14-Jun-11 18:42:22

numberplease -they have now, they didn't use to have

fluffy Tue 14-Jun-11 19:01:41

The worst advertisements of all time have to be the ones for the Halifax - the one when the two girls are 'dj-ing' on the radio and the handle 'accidentally' drops of her mug - and the most cringe making of all is the one when that ghastly goofy girl on the left starts nodding to isa isa baby - god I can't even bear typing it it's so awful! - I have to actually turn the tv off when that's on - the ad agency must be mad putting out such a dreadful advert - would make you not want to go near the Halifax.

numberplease Tue 14-Jun-11 23:16:41

Sorry Heleena, I thought I`d seen it a while ago.
I`ve just been horribly reminded of another advert that I can`t stand, it gives me the willies, and that`s the one where the man wears a beard made of bees, it`s horrible!

Notsogrand Wed 15-Jun-11 09:59:25

I hate adverts where inanimate objects are given human characteristics. There's one where a squashy sofa has a face and starts talking. Freaks me out!

Annobel Wed 15-Jun-11 10:03:40

Oh yes, notsogrand that talking sofa is the stuff of nightmares. It reminds me of some children's book but I can't remember which one!

greenmossgiel Wed 15-Jun-11 11:15:34

Love the one with the dog who does the ironing and cleans the windows etc! Does anyone know if he's the same dog who stars in the new Midsomer Murders?

lucid Wed 15-Jun-11 11:41:45

I'm sure I read that it is the same dog greenmossgiel

glammanana Fri 17-Jun-11 15:22:09

You are right to say that the little dog in the adverts for window
cleaning and ironing is the same dog from Midsomer Murders,the
lady owner also had Welard the dog from Eastenders,the little Jack
Russell was rehomed by the lady and he has sure earned his keep
I would say,he is adorable,my Barney is so like him and he came from a rescue centre,but he is only famous in our local pub when hubby
goes for liquid refreshment

Janet25 Fri 17-Jun-11 18:09:18

I hate those awful 'Bingo Heads' dancers in those silver suits and bingo ball heads. So amateurish and stupid.
And I hate 'Go Compare' that much that I would NEVER buy insurance from them!

greenmossgiel Fri 17-Jun-11 19:42:15

I hate 'Go Compare'! Also, the 118 118 'fellows'. Their shorts worry me.....! Ugh!!! grin

mischief Fri 17-Jun-11 19:59:36

I hate all adverts so much that I try not to watch ITV or Channel 4 or 5 unless there's something really good on. However, having said that I must admit I agree with those who like the Darth Vada ad. It's so cute and who ever is inside that costume is a very good little actor (non-gender).

artygran Fri 17-Jun-11 20:24:45

I love Harvey the dog too! I also think the Specsavers ad with the old couple mistakenly sitting down to eat cheese sandwiches on a white knuckle ride and then saying after "what kind of cheese was that?" is very funny.

JessM Fri 17-Jun-11 20:35:31

There are some stunning car ads around. The ones with Mr Henri always get my vote. Though i can never remember which car is which.
Least favourite is an insurance one (again the brand escapes me) where a man falls out of a tree and gets caught on a stretcher or something with a bunch of strippagram type nurses with one token bloke . This is offensive in so many ways. It is one of the sponsor adverts for something we keep watching. Cant remember what either. Advertisers nightmare that's me.

Oh and the ones for Yakult and Actimel that don't say what they do because they have not proved to do anything as yet, over an above the benefits of a spoonful of natural yoghurt. One of them is implying it will make your children braver and the other one is urging you to get to know your gut or some such bland rubbish. Rant rant. need to go into the quiet corner for a bit methinks.

Annobel Sat 18-Jun-11 10:11:16

The ads that 'amuse' me most are the ones that are supposed to be for our generation, in the breaks in Countdown: life insurance - how can Michael Parkinson sink so low? - laxatives, rise and recline armchairs disability baths, and so on.This is just the sort of image that the Apprentice candidates had in this week's fiasco. As far as I'm concerned, an ad break is a good opportunity to go to the loo, put the kettle on or even check on what's going on here. grin

twizzle Sat 18-Jun-11 11:08:41

John Lewis (She's always a woman/Billy Joel) and the Berocca ad with the businessman in a suit, on a running machine are really 'feel good' ads.

So glad that 'The Crazy Frog' ad is no longer around.

harrigran Sat 18-Jun-11 11:23:48

I manage not to watch irritating adverts by recording all commercial channels and fast forwarding the adverts. My GD got a disc with Crazy frog music on but unfortunately it went missing, sigh of relief. Last week my son had to take a cd player apart because a disc was jammed in the drawer, yes it was the annoying Crazy frog and of course GD had to play it all afternoon because she had missed it so much.

Annika Wed 22-Jun-11 23:05:34

Just typing the words Go Compare has put that damm song in my head
That ad drives me mad angry

Barrow Tue 05-Jul-11 15:15:56

Hate all car ads - so pretentious. Also the ads for make-up or shampoo which have tiny "get outs" along the bottom saying "enhanced in post production". If they are trying to sell mascara which will "lengthen and thicken" lashes then just show us the results of using it not cheat by using computer wizardry!! angry

supernana Wed 06-Jul-11 15:14:42

Barrow...YES! Cannot understand the point of showing us results that are computer-enhanced and therefore unrealistic and unattainable...much of advertising is a big con...

JessM Wed 06-Jul-11 16:09:16

Spose I like the car ads because they are such an amazing example of the advertiser's "art". And also computer graphics often. I can never remember which car brand they are advertising though, not even the ones with Thierry Henri, (maybe it is renault or citroen - i'm only guessing cos they are french) except the one we have got on order - and I noticed that because I was temping for the company last year and had to keep asking job applicants to tell me the benefits of....

Missadventurefalls Sun 16-Feb-20 11:39:52

Best ads im a celeb ads :worst ads we can buy eddie car

BBbevan Sun 16-Feb-20 13:24:02

Can’t stand the one for Sports Relief ? With the ponytailed man who chews his words. Yuk

rosenoir Sun 16-Feb-20 14:32:11

Obviously dislike go compare, does the job though as we all remember it.

Also dislike the incontinent women with the "bigger boobs, blessed", cant put my finger on as to why but just cannot watch it.

I like all the Specsaver ads.

Forestflame Fri 28-Feb-20 21:40:23

Rose our. I can't stand the incontinence advert either. I saw a programme with the same actress recently and all I could think of was the advert. Favourite recent adverts are the Halifax one with the facing slinky, and the bank advert with the little girl with the shopping trolley. She reminds me of one of my friends when we were that age.