Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

BBC Gardeners World

(41 Posts)
specki4eyes Sat 12-May-12 22:16:27

Does anyone else feel extremely irritated by the way that very enthusiast gardener lady on this programme speaks? She is uber-positive about everything and sounds as though she is just about to burst into emotional tears of ecstasy. I can hardly bear to listen to the content of what she's saying because her delivery is so disturbing. I'm sure she's a very nice person and all that but I find her so annoying that I have to switch off the sound.

soop Sun 27-May-12 13:38:53

Monty Don, I believe, is extremely attractive. He can work sit in my garden any day. wink

Oxon70 Sun 27-May-12 14:13:24

I like Carol Klein and Christine Walkden!
Ane enjoyed seeing Stephanie Cole too and her garden with its problems.

Some extraordinary gardens there though! My sister has gone off Chelsea altogether, even though we went one year...thinks it's all gone too highbrow and not ordinary peoples gardens.

As usual I have seen plants I want.....

specki4eyes Sun 27-May-12 16:46:35

merlotgran I agree! Do you know what I think? Carol is J02grin

Now they've got someone on Chelsea programme of indeterminate gender, emoting madly and loudly. I'm not being horrible - no I'm not, but why can't we just have ordinary folk we can imagine being in the garden with?

Last night I watched a wonderful programme fronted by Alan Titchmarsh about basic gardening skills and landscaping - can't remember what it was called but it was so interesting and informative. he just talked to camera like an average person.

merlotgran Sun 27-May-12 16:55:07

j02 Do you live in Devon, look great in jeans and earn shedloads of money from writing about and presenting all things garden?

jeni Sun 27-May-12 17:01:57

No I think jo2 is a Martian in disguise with an agendum to stir up old totters granniesgrin

jeni Sun 27-May-12 18:32:45

Bump

Anagram Sun 27-May-12 18:36:50

Anyway, she's J04 now.....hmm

jeni Sun 27-May-12 18:45:34

I'm too old! I can't cope with multiple Jings confused
If she's not a Martian she's a Confucian and that's worse!

specki4eyes Sun 27-May-12 18:51:32

I think she's in the Tardis whirling around with The Doctor. Get behind the sofa girls!

jeni Sun 27-May-12 18:53:10

Who? Nellie or jing?
I think I need another drink!

Maniac Mon 28-May-12 13:25:47

I think all the presenters have had coaching in arm waving and emoting madly
even the young girl from Bristol who did a series on the 'edible garden' last year.

'Calm down my dears'

gangy5 Mon 28-May-12 15:37:12

I agree that Carol Klein hit the right spot at Chelsea, a toned down effort and very nicely presented - good all round egg!!

specki4eyes Mon 28-May-12 22:56:01

Hooray for Carol ! She MUST be a Gransnetter! How else would she have known what we were saying? Now which one of you is she really.........hmmm ???? Come on - fess up.

merlotgran Tue 29-May-12 17:09:55

I'd like her bank balance and her knees. It amazes me how she manages to do a piece to camera from a crouching position and then get up without a grimace. She's a year older than me. Gah!!

dahlia Wed 30-May-12 14:47:52

We have always liked Carol Klein, and I find her hints and suggestions very helpful. However, I hated that bit in the last series when she waxes lyrical about wild flowers - just how much can you say about the daffodil! Her bible on grow your own veg is like a bible in our house! We also loved Geoff Hamilton; how gentle and unorchestrated his style seems now, we have a DVD of his Paradise Gardens series and still love to watch it now and then.
Can't stand Rachel de Thame, though. I understand she was picked from a class of raw gardening beginners, and I can't believe that she is still rolled out to do "planting seeds with Army wives" or "how to plant bulbs". Reach for the "off" switch the minute she comes on!
Monty Don is a very able gardener with a warm style, but as one of you said, his garden is so huge with its "rooms" and what seem to be acres of space, it is hard to relate to our own humble plot. Have to admit to a liking for Toby Buckland and still miss Mr Titchmarsh. Some of his ideas were daft e.g. the beach look, but he really knows his stuff. Joe Swift is good, too, I love his Saturday column in "The Times".