TV, radio, film, Arts

What's the worst film you ever saw.

(85 Posts)
susiecb Mon 11-Jun-12 09:28:01

Maverick!

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 20:59:17

Yes indeed, Hilda! wink

HildaW Wed 13-Jun-12 20:57:54

Nooooo sorry Anagram, I just dont like her....and when you think of all the wonderful young British actresses we could have had......I suspect that U.S. money had something to do with it as with Gwyenth in Shakespear in Love.....tho she, I felt did quite a good job!. Tis nice to disagree over totally unimportant things! smile

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 19:50:49

Black Swan is a good "don't put my DGD on the stage movie to share with your SILs!" Mine cancelled the ballet lessons not long afterwards grin

specki4eyes Wed 13-Jun-12 19:29:33

Shakespeare In Love; Black Swan;Mamma Mia, Bridget Jones' Diarrhoea Diary - all utterly ridiculous in my opinion. Eat Pray Love - yes saw that on a flight down to Cape Town - all I prayed for was for the remote to work and switch the darned thing off!

On the subject of Mamma Mia, I went with some girlfriends to see the stage show and we had a ball. In that context, the silly plot made us laugh and we sang along with all the songs, then went off for a noisy dinner. Had a great time. But the film - please! Watched it for 20 mins then switched off. Sad to see Meryl Streep sink that low.

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 19:12:21

Oh, come on now, Hilda - I felt the same about Renee Zellweiger when she was cast, but she certainly pulled it off!

HildaW Wed 13-Jun-12 19:08:53

JessM.....not too miffed about Aussies trying to do Brits or Europeans - hey Hugh Jackman can do no wrong for me! But I still can't forgive them for sticking Renee Zellweiger in as Bridget Jones!

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 18:58:03

I always thought Bryan Brown was wonderful in anything he did...

JessM Wed 13-Jun-12 18:51:08

No I've never seen Titanic either, or Mamammamamammia
Kidman can be wonderful as in The Hours but in Australia was unconvincing as 40s upper class english person I thought.
Watched a strange film the other night on TV Called A Good Year. It was based on a Peter Mayle story and set, where else, in Provence.
Crowe (another australian actor) totally miscast as a City Trader with a hidden soul. Many UK actors would have done a much better job! James McEvoy for instance. The little boy was great. And the scenery.
Crowe totally unconvincing as a brit . Truly dire. I thought the same thing when he tried to play a brit navy sea captain in Nelson's time in Master and Commander. (In which the ship and the little boy were good) . Crowe so laid back i expected him to change into his jeans at any moment.
Is it problem with australians?

HildaW Wed 13-Jun-12 17:58:12

ho ho ho Crimson!

Annobel Wed 13-Jun-12 17:31:03

I think I saw a bit of it on TV once and had no desire to see the whole thing.

crimson Wed 13-Jun-12 16:52:52

No; just one of the lucky ones grin....

HildaW Wed 13-Jun-12 16:35:26

Have never seen Titanic.............am I the only one?

Annobel Wed 13-Jun-12 16:06:20

Hi, Irene114. Everything seems to be getting lost - maybe not in translation exactly! [cofused]

Anagram Wed 13-Jun-12 15:44:04

Speak for yourself, absent! grin
Welcome, Irene smile

absentgrana Wed 13-Jun-12 15:40:46

Hi Irene114 and welcome if you're new to Gransnet. Postings just appear in chronological order. Sometimes, when a topic is very controversial or fascinating, it's quite hard to keep track as the postings come thick and fast (not that Gransnetters are ever thick and, apart from Nelliedeane when faced with a man in uniform, they're not fast either).

Irene114 Wed 13-Jun-12 15:31:11

The previous message 'What was it about? ' was referring to lost in Translation.
I thought my comment would have been tagged to original comment on Lost in Translation other wise it does not make sense.

Irene114 Wed 13-Jun-12 15:26:09

I saw that film. What was it about?

nanaej Tue 12-Jun-12 19:50:48

crimson grin

crimson Tue 12-Jun-12 19:41:36

I was once invited to a Dandy and Beano party, but it was on the same day as our village carnival and I couldn't be bothered to make two costumes, so I went to the party dressed as Mr Grumpy in a large blue cardboard box. I'll never forget ringing the doorbell, only to be greeted with 'sorry, wrong party' and the door closing, before they opened it again and let me in. It was the best party I've ever been to; being quite a shy and reserved person usually, the anonymity of being in a box released my flamboyant side, and I danced my way through the night. Not sure how I managed though, as I seem to remember forgetting to put eye holes in it confused.

nanaej Tue 12-Jun-12 19:11:34

It was a staff end of term outing: several nuns, a Maria, some hills (!), kittens etc! But I met a colleague from another school that night..also dressed as a brown paper parcel.. but she had arrived at Richmond Theatre dressed like that the week before the show was on!

Annobel Tue 12-Jun-12 19:05:22

I'd love to see a brown paper parcel laughing. I think I might have seen Sound of Music once on TV but that was quite enough thank you.

merlotgran Tue 12-Jun-12 19:01:40

Brilliant idea nanaej. I've always wanted to go to that.

nanaej Tue 12-Jun-12 18:32:16

Have only seen Sound Of Music as a sing along show when I was dressed as a brown paper parcel tied up with string! grin I laughed all the way through it!

Rosiebee Tue 12-Jun-12 18:14:22

Sound of Music - should come with gov health warning.
'Can cause severe nausea'. hmm

feetlebaum Tue 12-Jun-12 16:56:42

Probably the worst would be Myra Breckinridge - Rex Reed - a critic fer goo'ness sake! - was the leading man, who somehow turned into Raquel Welch - I think. It was a real train-wreck, mis-directed by Mike Sarne.

Oddly enough I quite enjoyed it in a sadistic sort of way...