Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Song For Marion

(35 Posts)
Goose Sun 24-Feb-13 21:15:31

Anyone seen 'Song For Marion' yet? I've read good and bad reviews on it, so if you've seen it, what's the verdict?

Tegan Sun 24-Feb-13 21:39:51

It had a good review on Film Night, and Gemma Arterton is one of my favourite actresses [since seeing her in 'Tess', sob sad]. So I might give it a go. A bit in the mould of Brassed Off and Made in Dagenham I think.

Ella46 Sun 24-Feb-13 22:23:30

I'm going to see it on Wed,so I'll let you know smile

Goose Mon 25-Feb-13 14:39:22

Tegan I loved Brassed Off, Made in Dagenham, Full Monty...I haven't got a very sophisticated taste in films, so I get the feeling Song For Marion will please me (even more so cos the Guardian film critic really slagged it off)
Ella45 Thanks, I'd appreciate your opinion on itsmile

Ella46 Mon 25-Feb-13 17:03:11

Goose You've just made me a year older! grin

Goose Mon 25-Feb-13 17:51:30

Oops, sorry Ella46 (or should that be Ella47smile

Butty Mon 25-Feb-13 18:02:43

Made in Dagenham is up there with the best.

Ella46 Mon 25-Feb-13 23:12:06

Goose, Sorry, we're not going on Wed now, my friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer and has doctors appointment.
Maybe next week, as she really wants to see it. sad

Goose Tue 26-Feb-13 13:46:14

Ella46 I hope your friend and yourself get to see the film next week. I've heard it's very uplifting, and any film with Vanessa Redgrave in it will be well thought out. It must be very comforting for your friend that she has such a good friend as you being 'there' for herflowerssunshine

celebgran Tue 26-Feb-13 14:12:14

Went see Lincoln yesterday when I started this sneezing! Enjoyed but think sad will need hearing aid maybe normally sound so good at cinema can cope but could not catch all that was said especially by his wife .

Very well acted enjoyed got shock at end did not realise he was shot!

celebgran Tue 26-Feb-13 14:14:10

Sorry meant to say not hear of that film song for Marion wanted to see Hitchcock but already too late!

Hope you and friend able to enjoy it Ella 46 poor girl

annodomini Tue 26-Feb-13 14:22:52

Do you have an allergy, celeb? At this time of year, when tree pollens get going, I start to have hay fever type symptoms.

celebgran Tue 26-Feb-13 15:16:10

No anno do get hay fever but think got head cold!

Goose Tue 26-Feb-13 15:28:42

addodmini Oh no, the hay fever season isn't starting up again already? It seems to me that it goes from March to October now, I'm sure it never used to last that long. Anyway, I suppose this should be on the Health thread. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else is starting to get the allergy symptoms this early in the year. I'll post a question up on the Health thread.....

Goose Tue 26-Feb-13 15:30:04

that of course should read annodomini (my keyboard's running away with itself today[hmmm]

dorsetpennt Wed 27-Feb-13 09:35:18

A friend of mine is in Song for Marion. She belongs to a ladies choir in Tynemouth Newcastle and they were selected as the background singers. They had the most enormous fun doing it. Apparently Vanessa Redgrave was charming and chatted away to the ladies of the choir like an old friend. All the cast were pleasant but she was the best. I've heard good and bad reviews, the Sunday Times was particularly scathing about it - but I prefer to make my own mind up. A friend and I were all set to see Lincoln when she dropped out as the Reviewer in the Independent didn't like it. I was furious as she was very keen to see it until then. I don't mind if you opt out because it isn't your sort of film, but to opt out for that! My DD and I saw it and it was superb.

Tegan Wed 27-Feb-13 10:36:32

The reviewer in the Independant recommended Uncle Boonmee who can recall his past lives [the worst film I've seen apart from The Headless Woman]. He has a lot to answer for [although I have to admit to not enjoying Lincoln blush].

Melilight Wed 27-Feb-13 15:43:40

The Guardian gave it quite a good review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYW02uyvWY#

I really enjoyed it, bit weepy but some funny parts, and I think Vanessa Redgrave really stood out and made the film. And i agree with dorsetpennt you should make your own mind up about a film, as you can have different views to someone else (although again I wasnt a big fan or Lincoln either) but I still went to see it

Melilight Wed 27-Feb-13 15:44:00

The Guardian gave it quite a good review

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nYW02uyvWY#

I really enjoyed it, bit weepy but some funny parts, and I think Vanessa Redgrave really stood out and made the film. And i agree with dorsetpennt you should make your own mind up about a film, as you can have different views to someone else (although again I wasnt a big fan or Lincoln either) but I still went to see it

Ella46 Wed 27-Feb-13 16:25:17

I'd like to ask those of you who've seen it (Song for Marion), was there a lot about death/dying in it?
It might be a bit upsetting for my friend if it is very sad, she needs to be uplifted at the moment, not confronted with too much death stuff.

ginny Sat 02-Mar-13 22:37:08

Saw 'song for Marion' this evening. It was a bit weepy but not in a morbid miserable way. We enjoyed it.

I often find if the critics slam a film it's one I will enjoy. It seems to me that if unless there is blood, gore, sex and car chases then the critics don't like it.

Ganja Mon 04-Mar-13 07:46:54

Being an incurable romantic I wanted Gemma Artherton to end up with Christopher Ecclestone! Of course she was far too posh for him, but she would have been a lovely mum for his little girl. Would have made the film totally formulaic, but we enjoyed it all the same.

If you want to really blow your minds go and see Cloud Atlas. As DD said, bonkers but brilliant. I am reading the book at the moment, and luckily it is being shown in May at our local arts centre in Tewkesbury, so I will get a chance to see it again.

Goose Mon 04-Mar-13 07:56:02

I've decided to 'go for it' and am going to see it this week (before it disappears from the face of the Earth). Not heard of 'Cloud Atlas' but will look it up. Ella46 Did you take your friend to see Song For Marion?

Ella46 Mon 04-Mar-13 08:17:58

Goose, no, she has been rushing round seeing oncologists and having scans. We can't go this week as she is having dental treatment prior to the chemo, but we may be able to squeeze it in next week.

Goose Mon 04-Mar-13 08:23:15

Ella sunshineflowers for you and your friendsmile