Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Song For Marion

(36 Posts)
Goose Sun 24-Feb-13 21:15:31

Anyone seen 'Song For Marion' yet? I've read good and bad reviews on it, so if you've seen it, what's the verdict?

annodomini Mon 04-Mar-13 08:59:17

I hope I can find Cloud Atlas somewhere. If Life of Pi was once thought to be unfilmable this one must have been a challenge. The book is challenging enough - though I enjoyed it.

Grannybug Mon 04-Mar-13 09:28:30

Anyone seen To the wonder ? If so what did you make of the film?
We saw it oat the weekend and it seemed a pretentious self indulgent film about very little . Maybe I am just missing the point? Loved 'The separation'

Grannybug Mon 04-Mar-13 09:29:12

Ops should have said ' we saw it' not oats!

Tegan Mon 04-Mar-13 14:30:54

Haven't seen To The Wonder, but I thought The Tree of Life was pretentious twaddle so best to give it a miss methinks! Wish I'd read Cloud Atlas [no time to read it before I see the film]. Said to my boss today that I imagined it would be a bit like The Time Travellers Wife [which I loved] and she said it was much better; more Margaret Attwood'ish. At last going to see The Hobbit on Sunday!

Ariadne Mon 04-Mar-13 14:57:22

Tegan I'll be interested in your opinion of "Cloud Atlas" - was going to see it tomorrow but had to back out. I'm not sure if it is me, somehow...smile

Tegan Mon 04-Mar-13 15:29:02

The trailers look amazing. I started reading Black Swan Green but couldn't get into it so didn't bother with Cloud Atlas [although I struggle with books these days, especially complicated ones].

Ella46 Wed 13-Mar-13 16:35:12

Just seen "Song for Marion".
Not really my sort of film as I found it a bit patronising, let's make the oldies sing about sex, it'll be really funny!

However, I went with my friend, the one diagnosed for the second time with cancer, because she really wanted to see it.
We both sobbed through 90% of the film.

I knew it wasn't a good idea sad

Eloethan Wed 13-Mar-13 17:12:43

I usually look at rotten tomatoes site where a big range of critics and filmgoers give reviews and ratings for films.

Goose Wed 13-Mar-13 18:14:12

I got to see A Song For Marion last week - it really reminded me of 'Brassed Off', which I loved. Like you Ella46, I thought it equally patronising and funny. I thought Vanessa Redgrave acted Marion brilliantly. I also left in tears, but for me that's the sign of a good filmgrin

celebgran Wed 13-Mar-13 22:55:06

Oh sounds good goose will have try see that.