Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Gatsby

(9 Posts)
Deedaa Wed 29-May-13 21:29:15

Has anyone else seen the Great Gatsby yet? I went with great misgivings as I read the book when I was a student and don't remember being particularly impressed. I was also a bit put off when I saw how long it is, but yhe time just flew by. I've always enjoyed Baz Lurhman's films and this one really worked for me. I will have to read the book again though and see what I got wrong the first time.

janeainsworth Wed 29-May-13 21:40:46

Going to see it tomorrow Deedaa. Slightly ashamed to admit I haven't read the bookblush but heard an item about it on the radio a couple of weeks ago and I think I'll enjoy it.

Deedaa Wed 29-May-13 22:27:39

I was slightly ashamed when I realised that it must be fifty years since I read the book! It made me realise how often I go round making sweeping statements about things that I can actually hardly remember!

Ariadne Thu 30-May-13 06:36:09

DD, DGD and I went to see it on Tuesday; it was very good. De Caprio, I felt, had the character exactly right, and, as the story progressed, it became much more powerful than I had remembered.

dahlia Sat 22-Jun-13 17:09:02

We saw the film last week. I don't normally like Leonardo DeC, he has always been a bit baby-faced to me, but when he turned to face the camera for the first time in "Gatsby", I thought he was perfect in the part. Loved the film, particularly the sets, design and the wonderful dresses, and I felt that, although different to the book, it stayed with the basic idea. Confess to loving most Baz Lurhmann films, they are so different to the norm. smile

Deedaa Tue 25-Jun-13 20:36:32

I think Leonardo De Caprio has improved enormously over the years. I think as he ages he could become a really powerful actor rather on Orson Welles lines. I was very impressed with him in The Aviator which I hadn't expected to enjoy, and now I can't imagine anyone else playing Gatsby.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Jun-13 20:55:18

I thought De Caprio was very good in the part - never really liked him before, mainly because he reminds me of Norman Lamont!

annodomini Tue 25-Jun-13 21:10:51

De Caprio was good but I preferred Robert Redford in the role.

nightowl Wed 26-Jun-13 00:00:26

I preferred Robert Redford as well anno. Must admit I didn't really enjoy this version of Gatsby, but then I'm not a fan of Baz Luhrmann. It was all a bit too frenetic for my taste and missed the message of the book. I also preferred Mia Farrow as Daisy because I thought she captured the 'flakiness' of the character, unlike Carey Mulligan who just came over as slightly dreamy, rather than empty.

My daughter and daughter-out-law both loved the film but then they both love Leo!