Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The One Show's Alex Jones

(77 Posts)
specki4eyes Tue 09-Jul-13 10:07:38

If there is already a thread relating to this irritating girl, forgive me but I have to comment on the banality and crassness of her presenting style after she gushed at Andy Murray last night.

For her to fire the ridiculous and uncalled question to him about any impending marriage to Kim, just makes me question even further what on earth the BBC are thinking, employing such a dope. He had already, earlier in the day, swatted that other lightweight, Holly somebody, out of the way with the response that it was none of her business, only for her to ask him again!

Even her fellow presenter Matt, who I used to respect, his sunk to her level now - gushing sycophants the pair of them. I know its a lightweight programme but does that mean the BBC has to seek the lowest common denominator in its programme content?

Yes, as usual when I happen upon the One Show, I very quickly found the off button. Result BBC!

j08 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:55:51

I like Lorraine Kelly. And the other one on this thread. The Welsh one. She's sweet.

j08 Tue 09-Jul-13 22:57:07

Oh yes. It's in the title. Alex Jones.

j08 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:01:41

And I just watched a video of that interview with the Holly Willoughby girl and it was all quite relaxed and smiley on both sides. Neither Andy M or Holly W was at all put out. hmm

j08 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:02:40

That might be on another thread.

j08 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:03:32

Julia Bradbury gets right up my nose.

annodomini Tue 09-Jul-13 23:24:43

What's wrong with Julia Bradbury? She does a good job with her programmes about walks and I enjoy her contributions to Country File. She's a professional who puts over her subject clearly and without fuss.

Tegan Tue 09-Jul-13 23:29:01

I really like Julia Bradbury. For some reason the S.O. can't stand Jools Holland to the point of not wanting to stay in the room if I'm watching 'Later With..' My ex husband was the same with Julian Clary smile. I very rarely watch The One Show but I like the fact that those two seamlessly replaced the other two who'd gotten too big for their boots [imo]. And their salary.

specki4eyes Wed 10-Jul-13 09:34:18

I like Julia Bradbury; Sian Wiliams(?)the one who used to front Breakfast until they moved to Salford;Louise Minchin, she's good;Claire Balding;Jo Brand; Kathy Burke...err ...struggling now.......smile

Yes Nonu I take your point - its a bit like Chinese Whispers!

j08 Wed 10-Jul-13 09:46:13

I don't know anno. Something a bit over sweet about her. Same with the blonde one on C File.

j08 Wed 10-Jul-13 09:48:39

You just feel she would be a bit "in your face" if you met her. Too pally.

merlotgran Wed 10-Jul-13 09:53:02

I often feel Matt Baker and Julia Bradbury are trying too hard with the sexual chemistry bit on Country File. Their antics are childish and makes you want to put something in his coffee to calm him down.

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-13 10:37:27

Sophie Raworth is brilliant and has managed her stints on the Andrew Marr Show very professionally. She's no airhead and neither is Kate Silverton.

JessM Wed 10-Jul-13 12:16:44

Does anyone dare not like Kate Humble? Great prog last week with alpaca sperm (he takes for ever, makes a terrible noise and then he only produces a teaspoonful). And the one the week with those poor women in Aghanistan. Kate gives the lie to women being high maintenance and squeamish. She also coped admirably with Bill Oddie's beyond-weird behaviour on live TV when she was paired with him on Springwatch.

mollie Wed 10-Jul-13 12:22:09

I'm holding my hand up sheepishly, JessM. I'm not a fan of Kate Humble. It's the hands waving about, the over eagerness and her startled look that annoy me. I rather like females presenters like
Professor Alice Roberts or Bettany Hughes but each to their own I guess...

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-13 12:29:08

I love Kate's enthusiasm, the intelligent interest she shows in the topics she investigates, like the shepherding ones the past few weeks. So much I'd never have known about alpacas!

mollie Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53:40

Eagerness is great and intelligence is better but the last few times I watched Kate (and why I stopped watching her probably) she asked and answered questions, not letting the interviewee get a word in. She's probably much better now...

JessM Wed 10-Jul-13 13:04:44

Probably a strategy designed to keep BO from butting in or changing the subject...

Tegan Wed 10-Jul-13 16:56:28

Lucy Worsley is my favourite at the moment. I won't miss anything that she does smile. And I love the way she dresses as well [would never work for me with my short fat legs, but I sometimes copy certain things eg coloured gloves].

mollie Wed 10-Jul-13 17:03:23

Lw is a funny old bird but very watchable. Voice grates a bit but just bearable...

kittylester Wed 10-Jul-13 18:06:16

I don't like Kate Humble and do like Alex Jones.

annodomini Wed 10-Jul-13 18:39:02

And I like them both, kitty. Just goes to show it takes all sorts - and any other cliché you like to mention. wink

Deedaa Wed 10-Jul-13 23:16:38

I like Kate Humble - she has pet rats. I used to enjoy the series she did ages ago where they put scientists on a desert island and made them do experiments with stuff they found on the beach.

laidback Thu 11-Jul-13 00:42:49

I like Emily Matlis and Sophie Raworth, worked with both on various events and can report they are top women. Prepared, professional, intelligent and very nice.
Am sorry cannot like Alex Jones...is she a journalist?! even tv journalist...does she write her own questions? If not and the producers feed the questions...new producers needed. Her questions are inane and stoopid. Sometimes I get the feeling she does'nt even know who the people ARE that she is interviewing. Stopped watching a long time ago.

kittylester Thu 11-Jul-13 07:11:30

Each to their own - eh? sunshine

trendygran Thu 11-Jul-13 10:23:59

I have no problem with Alex Jones or Matt Baker on The One Show and agree that Sophie Raworth is an excellent presenter. The presenter who really annoys me a lot of the time is Anne Davies on East Midlands News. If only she would stop trying to dress like Barbie and take a leaf out of the weather presenters' book. Sometimes she looks so much like mutton dressed as lamb and never seems to wear an outfit more than once. At times she does wear suitable,yet still fashionable, outfits and looks so much nicer. Shame she's also quite 'twee' because in general she's a good presenter.