Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Kirstie's Homemade Hogwash

(85 Posts)
BeesLovelyBuns Thu 19-Dec-13 12:52:23

So – Kirstie’s latest craft-inspired instalment provides us with all the guidance we need to give our Christmas interiors that sought-after designer magic that can only be provided by an over-stuffed aristocrat who is increasingly coming to resemble Leigh Bowery during his “let’s dress up as an armchair” period.

We start with delicious gifts our nearest and dearest will be so delighted to receive - namely “pine syrup”. Yes – syrup with, er, some pine in it. Gather up those Christmas tree off-cuts (the one your hunter-gatherer other half has pulled from a snow-covered forest with his bare hands and a roar and is always at least three feet too tall for the living room ceiling) sweep them up and chuck them in a pan with some sugar syrup. All well and good except Kirstie has clearly overlooked the fact that pine belongs down your toilet and not in a cocktail.

Moving on, and now she’s making popcorn. Magically Kirstie transforms corn kernels into light, golden, puffs by heating it up in a saucepan with a slug of oil. Who knew? Now we all love a bowl of popcorn on a Saturday night in front of the telly but that’s not enough for Kirstie. Oh no. We have to make it festive by mixing it with……..a jar of mincemeat. Which ends up looking like…… a jar of mincemeat. With some bits of popcorn chucked in it. So, you go to grab a fistful of lovely, crunchy, popcorn whilst you’re feasting your eyes on Strictly and encounter a handful of sticky mincemeat with some soggy bits of popcorn in it which you then end up wiping on the sofa. Oh yum.

On to – knickers. Tie-dyed knickers to be precise. A lesson in how to ruin a perfectly fine pair of kecks by wrapping them up in elastic bands and dipping them in a vat full of dye. And then sewing on labels with the days of the week. Because, of course, when I’m at work and I can’t remember what day it is after a night out on the sauce, I’m immediately going to strip off down to my undercrackers in order to check. Has anyone, ever, in the history of lingerie, been delighted to receive a gift of tie-dyed pants? “Oh love, I thought you’d want something I handmade specially for you this year so, instead of spending a week’s salary on silk and lacy raunchiness in Agent Provocateur, I bought a pack of Dylon and transformed your old grey smalls”. Brilliant.

And then, finally, Christmas crafts. Pom poms! Paper flowers! Polystyrene balls covered in glitter! Now maybe Kirstie was too busy at Bedales, learning how to walk whilst balancing a book on her head but, love, the rest of us made all that stuff at primary school. When we were 7. And I have done my time cooing over the kids’ scrunched up bits of tissue paper, distorted snowmen and wonky snowflakes. I swear this was purely an excuse for Kirstie to see how many times she could make legitimate reference to “sticky balls”.

I’ve got an idea for the perfect Christmas present for Kirstie. A proper job .

Bah humbug.

janerowena Thu 19-Dec-13 19:37:20

I watched one or two of her programmes ages ago, and I so wished she would show proper crafts in proper depth. She just glides along the surface, a bit like those makeover gardens, all glitter and no substance. Yes, I thought her shows were more appropriate for children. Then I remembered what Prima magazine used to be like before it dumbed down, with excellent dress patterns and knitting patterns, and I think it's all part of the instant gratification lifestyle. Buy somthing plain and tweak it slightly, rather than learn to make the original item.

sunflowersuffolk Thu 19-Dec-13 20:14:43

Just watching Alex Polizzi Christmas Fix on BBC2, some good ideas for decorating, and as she says, she's useless at crafts..

dahlia Thu 19-Dec-13 20:26:59

I like Kirstie, even if I do find her programmes an awful lot of hot air. She strikes me as being genuinely enthusiastic about her projects, and I think she would be good fun to actually meet. We don't have to watch her, after all! smile

Nonu Thu 19-Dec-13 20:48:54

Sunflower I also like Alex . she has a down to earth approach.
tchsmile

Deedaa Thu 19-Dec-13 21:42:03

The main problem I have with all these programmes is that they put them on way too close to Christmas.With 5 days to go I am not going to suddenly redesign the whole house, hand craft a birch bark canoe or concoct an exotic new menu.

penguinpaperback Fri 20-Dec-13 00:58:43

Me too dahlia, I like Kirstie. smile
And I have those pom-pom makers and they are super quick. The GC love making pom-poms.

ginny Fri 20-Dec-13 08:46:26

I'm not impressed with this years offerings. Ok for children but otherwise nothing new . Didn't like the colour scheme this week and that tree was awful.

annodomini Fri 20-Dec-13 10:13:09

Somehow missed the programme - how could I? I always wanted to make tie-dyed knickers, but seem to have missed the boat for this year. How does one tie dye a thong? I'm sure my senior GD would just love one. Bees, your review (are you a professional?) has made my day. tchgrin And merlot, better luck next time. Sadly, my spruce has been chopped down - would any old conifer do? tchgrin

merlotgran Fri 20-Dec-13 10:44:16

DH has suggested we give it another go, anno but I've suggested he might like to spend Christmas in the shed!!

I told DD I'd poured the sorry little specimen down the sink and she said, 'Mum, how could you? I've been to ASDA and bought a cocktail shaker.'

I'll just have to substitute the maple syrup and hope they don't know the difference. tchhmm

Elegran Fri 20-Dec-13 11:27:02

What happens if the colour seeps out of those tie-dyed knickers?

Sook Fri 20-Dec-13 12:14:35

I would just like to find an Aquamarine ring like Kirsties in my Christmas Stocking tchgrin

Tegan Fri 20-Dec-13 12:17:58

Oh the awful thought of a striped bottom blush.

Ana Fri 20-Dec-13 12:24:51

It might be guite attractive, Tegan! tchgrin

Elegran Fri 20-Dec-13 13:03:06

I believe zebras find them attractive (and bongos and tigers, and ringtailed lemurs)

Ana Fri 20-Dec-13 13:08:09

Oh...well perhaps not a good look after all then, Tegan tchhmm

soop Fri 20-Dec-13 13:25:33

Elegran tchgrin All a bit "gushy" for my liking.

JessM Fri 20-Dec-13 13:26:04

Its strange isn't it the thirst for fame that drives someone on from being a posh estate agent to being a minor TV celebrity doing Blue Peter -esq crafts for grown ups.

soop Fri 20-Dec-13 13:26:27

Not you, Elegran I mean Kirstie.

soop Fri 20-Dec-13 13:30:27

Mind you, I would love to be able to create a centre of table extravaganza from inners of loo rolls and lashings of gungy stuff and glitter. I could then stand back, throw my arms wide and gasp...and here's one I made earlier!

Elegran Fri 20-Dec-13 14:09:27

I wondered where you had met a tiger that was too "gushy" for you, Soop. Most of them seem very down-to-earth - even grumpy.

Grannyknot Fri 20-Dec-13 15:02:57

This thread is making me tchsmile

However. Move over, Kirsty! Because:

I've knitted a 'snood' for son and it is drying now ready to be wrapped.

I made 'bath bombs' with lavender oil and seeds (they bombed a bit in the making*, so the chunks are prettily in a glass jar with ribbon). Thoze fizzy bath things that cost an arm and a leg in shops like Lush.

Snuck car freshener in the shape of a little sheep (made out of sheepskin) out of the bin - it had been filled with Hebridean machair stuff for the "fresh" bit but it had run its course, and re-stuffed it with fresh rosemary and wrapped it for husband because he was sorry it had come to an end because it was a holiday memento from the summer.

Am gathering the ingredients now to make "Stained glass biscuits" - star shaped biscuits with a jelly sweet melted in the centre, very pretty. To hang with ribbons.

Will settle down later and crochet a fancy edge on to the plain pin thingamajigs for holding scarves into place that I bought for daughter and DIL.

*because I was too mean to buy the recommended mould.

[showing off emoticon]

soop Fri 20-Dec-13 15:24:01

High five, Grannyknot tchgrin

rockgran Fri 20-Dec-13 15:25:04

My newest hobby. I've just made some duck (duct?) tape toilet bags in red, blue and yellow. Hours of fun! tchsmile

Grannyknot Fri 20-Dec-13 15:41:13

rockgran [impressed emoticon] tchsmile

JessM Fri 20-Dec-13 15:52:00

aren't they a bit sticky rockgran ?
You get the scavenger of the year award: "Recycle and Reuse 2013 Champion" grannyknot and reckon you should have that TV contract.