Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The 13th Tale

(73 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 02-Jan-14 16:19:01

Did anyone watch this on tv the other night? I thought it was brilliant.Do watch it if repeated,British drama at it's best and a gripping story of unloved little twins growing up in crumbling splendour with mad parents.A hint of a ghost, and very good acting.

Ana Thu 02-Jan-14 16:21:54

Yes, I watched it and I can't get it out of my head.

Brilliant acting, and quite unsettling, especially as the twins reminded me a bit of my own GDs!

whenim64 Thu 02-Jan-14 16:27:55

Just the sort of drama we needs lots more of. Olivia Coleman and Vanessa Redgrave - how good is that? I was riveted from start to finish. I'll watch it again if I see a repeat,

Lona Thu 02-Jan-14 16:30:48

I missed it, but surely it will be on iPlayer? I shall look 'cos there's nothing on again tonight!

Lona Thu 02-Jan-14 16:34:12

Yes it is, so that's me sorted, although I was going to watch The King's Speech again.

KatyK Thu 02-Jan-14 16:34:24

Loved it.

Marelli Thu 02-Jan-14 16:46:01

Loved it, too. There was another sort of spooky one on BBC2 the night before that - but I've forgotten what it was! I know I enjoyed it, though!

KatyK Thu 02-Jan-14 16:58:03

Marelli - DH Sky plused that other one but I accidentally deleted it before we had watched it. We will get it on catch up.

Marelli Thu 02-Jan-14 16:59:35

It was about a school, I think.

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 17:32:44

I started watching it and thought it looked fantastic, but I was in the house on my own that night and I know what I'm like when something scary gets into my head, so I stopped watching it [sometimes a get a single creak coming from the loft during the evening and my mind goes into overdrive for the next few hours]. I watched the one that was like Tales of Mystery and Imagination but didn't find that very good [although, supposedly it was a very faithful adaptation of the original story]. I wanted to watch the programme about the writer that was on afterwards but everyone talked through it. Dare I risk the 13th Tale or will it turn my hair white [oh; it's white already...]

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 17:34:30

The one I saw was about a library [only 1/2 an hour long; was on Christmas night].

yogagran Thu 02-Jan-14 17:40:56

I tried reading the book some months ago and gave up with it because it seemed so long winded and descriptive but after reading this thread I'm going to get it on "catch up" and try again

KatyK Thu 02-Jan-14 17:42:40

Tegan - I think you could risk the 13th Tale. Not really very scary - just kept you on the edge of your seat wondering what was going to happen if that makes sense.

Tegan Thu 02-Jan-14 17:47:51

I'm ok as long as I can't imagine myself in that situation [eg I can watch Alien but not Poltergeist]. Not likely to go for a walk round Calke Abbey on my own and will never spend the night at Chillingham Castle [although some people pay to do so shock] so should be alright with it [may wait till Saturday when the S.O. is back, though, just to be on the safe side.

Ana Thu 02-Jan-14 17:50:00

No, not really scary Tegan, just a bit creepy! More of a mystery, really...

dollie Thu 02-Jan-14 17:51:22

i dont like watching this sort of thing in the evening being on my own so i watched it on catchup on my computer...excellent drama it was to...

nightowl Thu 02-Jan-14 18:16:28

I get scared in the grounds of Calke Abbey Tegan, never mind inside the house. Haven't been able to watch anything scary on TV since I worked night shifts on my own in a big old house with plenty of creepy corners. I sometimes had to go out in the middle of the night to quite scary places, but that was almost a relief.

Lona Thu 02-Jan-14 20:04:01

Just watched The 13th Tale, and I kept being distracted by the beautiful house and gardens!
I 'enjoyed' it if that's the right word.

My hair was exactly that colour when I was young!

KatyK Thu 02-Jan-14 20:37:31

They all had beautiful hair

merlotgran Thu 02-Jan-14 20:51:57

Oh dear, Am I the only one who found it all a bit silly? I was giving it the benefit of the doubt until the third child appeared having somehow been surviving in a garden shed?

It lacked the credibility of a cracking good Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine.

Mishap Thu 02-Jan-14 21:05:23

I have just watched about half an hour of it - we recorded it - but we were both bored and have deleted it.

Lilygran Thu 02-Jan-14 21:20:05

Such brilliant actresses (how does Olivia Coleman manage to look so tragic?) and Vanessa Redgrave as well. Double treat. Shame about the plot!

Ana Thu 02-Jan-14 22:06:26

It's probable the book contains more details, but I didn't see anything wrong with the plot. It was a story, that's all.

Charleygirl Thu 02-Jan-14 22:10:14

Mishap my feelings also. I did not enjoy it. Admittedly I only watched 30 minutes because I was bored.

jinglbellrocks Thu 02-Jan-14 22:31:05

So, which one was it died in the fire? Was it the mother of the baby? And was she the naughty one? And where did the third child live before she lived in the shed? Who fed and clothed her?

It was good apart from not understanding it.