Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The 13th Tale

(74 Posts)
rosesarered Thu 02-Jan-14 16:19:01

Did anyone watch this on tv the other night? I thought it was brilliant.Do watch it if repeated,British drama at it's best and a gripping story of unloved little twins growing up in crumbling splendour with mad parents.A hint of a ghost, and very good acting.

harrigran Fri 03-Jan-14 17:45:35

Contrived and cliche'd.

Lona Fri 03-Jan-14 17:53:35

Ana Emmeline was the 'ghost' lady in white, scrabbling in the ground looking for who knows what.

What a load of rubbish hmm

Lona Fri 03-Jan-14 17:54:27

Oh I don't know now.................... maybe you're right Ana!

cactus60 Fri 03-Jan-14 18:10:43

how can anyone not understand it, it was so simple, Ive read the book three times and I love the story. there was much more to it than the bit we saw on tv. I don't like simplified versions

Ana Fri 03-Jan-14 18:33:14

Well, if you've read the book three times of course you think the story is simple to understand, cactus! As you say, the adaptation left a lot out, so I think we're entitled to be a bit confused!

rosesarered Fri 03-Jan-14 18:36:11

I think that more than a few GNetters had a wee dram or two [or three or four] before watching The 13th Tale, it wasn't THAT complicated. LOL

Ana Fri 03-Jan-14 18:59:29

confused Drunken thickos are we? grin

merlotgran Fri 03-Jan-14 19:05:37

I needed a stiff drink after I'd watched it!

We missed Mrs. Brown's Boys for that load of old codswallop angry

merlotgran Fri 03-Jan-14 19:12:17

Cactus, Please will YOU tell us exactly what happened??

rosesarered Fri 03-Jan-14 19:28:10

Wouldn't do for us all to be alike would it? A choice between Mrs Browns Boys and The 13th Tale .... hmmmmn let me see now.

Ana Fri 03-Jan-14 20:09:03

No choice at all for me. Can't see the appeal of Mrs Brown's Boys - but as you say, rosesared....

Lilygran Fri 03-Jan-14 22:15:37

Emmeline was the old lady in the attic who the nameless woman now known as Adeline (who died in the fire she started) was looking after until she died. Then Adeline died. I would still like to know how many of the sudden deaths and disappearances were the real Adeline's doing!

rosesarered Sat 04-Jan-14 14:31:20

That's right Lilygran, Emmeline was senile and ill and being cared for by Adeline [not the real murdering Adeline, she died in the fire she started] but Vannessa Redgrave's character who took on the name Adeline.The baby was Emmeline's and was left on the doorstep of a kind couple after the fire.He grew up to be the slightly simple minded man with long hair.The father of her baby was the boy who helped with the garden. The real father of the twins [and also the other sister] was the mad brother [who's sister and lover was carted off to an asylum]he then killed himself in the woods next to a shrine he had made there for his sister. The girls must have buried him, or covered him up , and it was his bones that were found there ages afterwards.I'm sure that the book is better and fills in the gaps that we couldn't see as a short film, but on it's own it was still excellent.

Ana Sat 04-Jan-14 14:35:16

How do we know it was Adeline who died in the fire? hmm

Lona Sat 04-Jan-14 15:58:01

Because the one who saved the baby also wrestled with Emmeline who thought the baby was still in the room, and Adeline was still in there too.
When the other two got out Adeline was left................^I think^ grin

Bez1989 Sun 05-Jan-14 13:57:55

Yes I watched 13th Tale and thoroughly enjoyed it. So well written and
performed so naturally by two brilliant actors. I've always enjoyed Vanessa.
Saw her in the 60's on stage in Prime of Miss Jean Brody. She is SO tall !
She always made me cry at the end of Camelot.
Sorry.....off topic.....I must watch the play again on iPlayer.

J52 Sun 05-Jan-14 14:43:16

The best thing on TV throughout Christmas. Didn't bother with anything else.

juneh Mon 06-Jan-14 10:59:22

Olivia Coleman cannot do anything wrong for me, she is so expressive and warm. Delightful in whatever she does. Never been too kean on Redgrave but cannot deny her acting skills as brilliant. What a great story. smile

grammargran Mon 06-Jan-14 13:38:09

Just because the plot is 'silly' doesn't mean it can't turn into a cracking good story - that's why I enjoy the Jack Reacher books so much. I loved The Thirteenth Tale both in book form and the dramatisation. You just have to suspend belief and let your imagination run riot!

rosesarered Mon 06-Jan-14 22:36:37

Well said grammargran

Ana Mon 06-Jan-14 22:42:05

I'd still like to hear cactus60's definitive explanation...hmm

merlotgran Mon 06-Jan-14 22:55:34

The Thirteenth Tale was confusing,
It didn’t have much of a plot,
If ask if I found it amusing,
I might well reply, ‘Not a Lot’

Olivia Coleman looked worried,
It’s something she does rather well,
Vanessa just wouldn’t be hurried,
Although she’d a strange tale to tell.

We all settled down to a thriller
As one of the twins was quite bad,
A child who turned into a killer
And their mother was obviously mad.

The cast was now dropping like flies,
You may well have been scratching your head
But there was yet another surprise
When a toddler appeared in the shed.

We still had a lot to discover
In case you were holding your breath,
It seems Emmeline was a mother
And mad Adeline burned to death

We need a definitive version
From somebody who's read the book
Or we might as well just cast aspersions
Which means that we don't give a f**k grin

jinglbellrocks Mon 06-Jan-14 23:07:17

Very good merlot. grin

They seem to have bought Olivia Coleman up as a job lot at the moment. She was in the 9 pm drama on BBC 1 this evening.