Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

TV series which should be pensioned off

(91 Posts)
MrsPickle Wed 21-Jan-15 11:04:57

There are quite a few, in my most humble opinion!
For starters:

New Tricks. Way past its sell by date for me.
Still open all hours. Should have shut them when Ronnie Barker left.
Death in Paradise. Despite the endearing Kris Marshall
Call the midwife. Hackneyed in Hackney.. or caputneyed in Putney?

Any other suggestions?

Ariadne Wed 21-Jan-15 11:09:42

Only know the last one, and, as I haven't yet seen it, but read some reviews, you could be right.

soontobe Wed 21-Jan-15 11:19:28

I agree that Open all hours is struggling.
I dont regularly watch the others on your list so cant say about them.

On the plus side, I think Birds of A Feather is still good. Still funny.

merlotgran Wed 21-Jan-15 11:49:55

I agree about New Tricks (DH loves it) and Call The Midwife is sadly running out of steam.

I have only watched one episode of Open All Hours and didn't find it in the least bit funny.

Jane10 Wed 21-Jan-15 11:54:27

Still Open All Hours is pretty dire but I`m fond of all the actors! All old favourites. Call the Midwife is fairly nauseating but still quite compulsive.
Waterloo Road is on its last series which is a bit of a pity as I reckon its picked up a bit this season. Death In Paradise is such lovely cheerful viewing in dark winter weather!

I did enjoy The Dr Blake Mysteries. I hope we get a season 3. Sorry wandered off thread there!

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 11:57:25

Definitely New Tricks, although DH would miss it.
Death in Paradise is great! Especially with sweet little Kris if you try to follow the story carefully.
Can't stand the new Open All Hours. Again DH watches it. hmm
I thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday episode of Midwife. Long may it continue.

jinglbellsfrocks Wed 21-Jan-15 11:58:53

Oh yes! Love Waterloo Road. But now it clashes with Silent Witness. hmm Why did they move it?

tanith Wed 21-Jan-15 13:09:38

I'll miss Waterloo Rd I've watched it forever... can't say I agree about Call The Midwife I enjoy it immensely..
Don't watch the others although OH watches all the old episodes of New Tricks I've never liked it.

GillT57 Wed 21-Jan-15 13:13:41

All of those would be on my hit list, along with:

Downton Abbey ( nice costumes but little else to recommend it)

janerowena Wed 21-Jan-15 13:31:40

I usually only watch series where at least one person is likely to be murdered, but although I started off loving Downton Abbey I got very bored with it by the time it was turned into a convalescent home during the war. I started watching Call the Midwife one day and was hooked, but again, lost interest a series or two back and I suppose for me, that's a sign that things need changing, as I no longer look forward to them. I realise that others do still love them, and the americans adore them and bring in a fortune as a result, but I just find that I have less and less to watch on tv as a result of finding the programmes past their sell-by date.

jo1book Wed 21-Jan-15 14:11:51

If you don't like don't watch; although it is frustrating to think money is wasted on embarrassing stuff like STILL OPEN ALL HOURS and NEW TRICKS.
But I do wonder if people watch them for their lack of populist nasty sensation, unlike stuff like BROADCHURCH or MISSING. The death of children is not entertaining, especially to grans. I do hope this dark trend in drama will run out of steam.

janerowena Wed 21-Jan-15 14:15:33

You can't please all the people, all the time. I read an article on why people like me liked to watch crime series, and it's because it makes us feel safer. In a weird way it's true. Also we are willing on the cops to catch the baddies, hoping that they will always get a result, thereby knowing that we will always see that Right wins in the end.

I have to admit to not being able to watch Missing, having seen the trailer.

HildaW Wed 21-Jan-15 14:31:27

jo1book....I too am in the 'death/disappearance of children is not a subject I wish to be entertained by' camp. Its a subject that crops up in conversation...and I am told that its well crafted drama that's well acted and very involving....but I just do not get it. Why would anyone want to see a parent besides themselves with grief over the loss of a child?
Mind you I'm not that 'entertained' by sex based crimes either!
So whilst I'd agree that Old Tricks, Death in Paradise and Midsommer Murders are a bit old hat, with hackneyed plots and predictable dialogue , they at least do not turn my stomach or reduce me to a sobbing heap.

jo1book Wed 21-Jan-15 15:25:34

Yes. Give me Minder or Lovejoy any day. Very few laughs these days.
Have you noticed Smiley's People in on BBC2. What a joy to re-watch such a class programme.

TriciaF Wed 21-Jan-15 15:38:30

I don't know if you wanted to include American series in this, but one that I still watch is Mash - a real classic. Sorry it had to finish , but the war came to an end too.
Also Cheers.
As for British series, I was sorry to see the end of Ounumbered, but the children grew up.

tanith Wed 21-Jan-15 15:46:11

I must say there aren't many American series I've ever 'got into', I find them very superficial and characters unbelievable.. Mash being an exception to that.. older ones like Little House on the Prairie also..

annodomini Wed 21-Jan-15 15:51:41

Agreed, TriciaF. Cheers, for me, was the greatest sit-com ever! And could I please put the case for quietly burying Midsomer Murders? Surely they must be running out of bodies!

Leticia Wed 21-Jan-15 15:52:44

I like Call the Midwife and Death in Paradise-I have never seen the other 2.
Also still love Downton even though it is like a soap.

Leticia Wed 21-Jan-15 15:53:14

Really sorry to see the end of Foyle's War.

Ana Wed 21-Jan-15 15:57:00

I still miss ER.

Anya Wed 21-Jan-15 16:20:37

Citizen Khan...it is dire. I've never managed to get through more than the first few minutes so do tell me if it improves as it goes on.

ninathenana Wed 21-Jan-15 16:38:11

Oh yes, Ana I loved ER and seeing George in his hey day was the icing on the cake.

New Tricks, Minder, Open All Hours and ruddy Three Musketeers can all go.
I read today there will be a new series of Lovejoy.

TriciaF where is Mash please ?? Incoming ...... smile

vampirequeen Wed 21-Jan-15 16:55:35

Get rid of Eastenders, Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, Doctors, Neighbours and any other soap I may have missed off the list.

soontobe Wed 21-Jan-15 16:59:03

No! angry hmm smile

pompa Wed 21-Jan-15 16:59:52

Way to go VQ, I'm with you all the way.