Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Great Canal Journeys.

(33 Posts)
Falconbird Sun 29-Mar-15 16:43:12

I really love this programme - on tonight, with Prunella Scales and Timothy West. They are such a lovely couple and have been together for years. Timothy West reminds me of my late DH.

Retiredguy Wed 01-Apr-15 16:33:38

A lovely gentle programme and such a nice couple, obviously devoted.

nigglynellie Mon 06-Apr-15 19:57:56

Just watched the last in the series, and I've so I enjoyed this programme with these two lovely people. I hope all goes as well as possible for them in the future.

NotTooOld Mon 06-Apr-15 21:39:23

I think Pru has guts tackling those locks like she does. I've done some of that myself and it is not always easy. In fact, I used to steer through the locks and let DH do the heavy work. Well done, Pru.

etheltbags1 Mon 06-Apr-15 22:14:48

I had never heard of these two until I watched the programme but I truly love them both, I adore any kind of holiday programme but canal are my fave, Im saying on another thread that over 80s are boring as they just talk about shopping etc but I would love to live next door to these two. I really thought that they were maybe late 60s or early 70s.

Deedaa Mon 06-Apr-15 22:38:53

It's a lovely programme and I was glad to see that Pru is doing so well. She seems to be coping very well so far although it must b frustrating for her and worrying for him of course.

nigglynellie Tue 07-Apr-15 09:40:07

I agree about the locks! Light years ago (as a child) we had a rowing boat on the Thames, and to get anywhere necessitated negotiating a lock, and it was always nerve wracking!!! So, yes, I admire Pru for her prowess!!!
I think facing up to the future must be very daunting for both of them so a little irritation is understandable.

Hunt Tue 07-Apr-15 10:29:56

I found these programmes extremely sad. My husband and I at 85 and 83 have just sold our last narrow boat. Although we can manage the day to day stuff we felt we could possibly no longer deal with an emergency. I have to say, as the steerer, I never hit anything the way Timothy seems to keep doing.