Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Save the BBC as we know it

(49 Posts)
Anya Fri 17-Jul-15 07:55:16

I know there's another thread about this but it's too important to be sidelined by right or left wing politics, which is why possibly very few have posted on that thread.

Yes, it's the present government who wishes to limit the scope and power of the BBC, but I think this affects all of us, no matter what our political leanings. I'm hoping that people will sign the petition currently doing the rounds.

grumppa Sat 18-Jul-15 22:26:41

Diane Coyle was the stand-in Chair of the BBC Trust following Patten's departure and was omitted from the shortlist for his successor. She has published an FT Blog entitled "The debate should be about be about boosting the BBC, not shrinking it". If I can find a way to provide a link to it I will, but the FT is free to join.

Suffice to say that I can see why the Government kept her off the shortlist, and why she should be required reading for Gransnetters who, like me, support the BBC.

Wheniwasyourage Sat 18-Jul-15 21:56:14

Signed. Anniebach, you said it - the BBc News is where I would go too if I needed to catch up with something serious happening. We don't watch much live TV, but the News, Radio 4, Radio 3 and Radio Scotland justify the licence fee for me.

janerowena Sat 18-Jul-15 21:07:50

Is there a sign-up link on the other one? I haven't read it.

Anya Sat 18-Jul-15 16:23:57

Anno I deliberately started what I hoped would be a non-political thread on the future of the BBC so a neutral discussion would result.

So please not HQ.

annodomini Sat 18-Jul-15 16:07:32

There are now two threads dealing with this subject. Is there any chance they could be combined? HQ?

janerowena Sat 18-Jul-15 14:18:06

I'm scared they will start making horrible 'fly on the wall' cheap documentaries like the other sides, if they have to be ruled by their advertisers. Trailing people with miserable lives and no brains around, instead of giving us something informative and interesting to watch.

janerowena Sat 18-Jul-15 14:15:53

38degrees have certainly changed their signature page! 171,000 so far anya.

janerowena Sat 18-Jul-15 14:12:04

I think so, I love the Beeb. I wish it hadn't cut back on its educational side, though it has kept all the programmes it made available to see still - just think of all the Open University programmes, and music and languages for schools. I still think that the programmes it does make, are mainly still of a far better quality than anything other channels make, with a few exceptions. I really detest adverts, too.

soontobe Sat 18-Jul-15 14:07:01

Done a quick google.
Biggest in what way?

Anya Sat 18-Jul-15 14:00:29

I believe the British Broadcasting Corporation is the biggest broadcasting corporation in the world. That is surely something to be proud of and something worth protecting,?

soontobe Sat 18-Jul-15 10:53:19

But Clarkson did actually make lots of money for the BBC.

I think there are several issues here.

I dont agree that the BBC makes us British. It may to people living outside Britain.

Other channels can make the same programmes as the BBC.

Young people use the media in different ways nowadays.

All the above just my opinion.

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 10:13:53

Actually I would be willing to forego the free licence if I thought it would go to making good quality programmes, but not to line Clarksons pocket or his type. That is what the BBC needs to sort out - the pigs in trough syndrome.

whitewave Sat 18-Jul-15 10:04:32

When we look at what makes us British one of those is definitely the BBC and it's dissemination of British Values.

CindySherman Sat 18-Jul-15 09:57:35

Sunseeker, what a varied line-up! I love Masterchef in all its forms. It's the pinnacle of reality TV. Golf, I don't watch, but I do love Wimbledon and as I'm not in a financial position to spend a fortnight each year at the all-England Club, I enjoy the total immersion that BBC allows, so I don't begrudge that pleasure to fans of other major sporting events. As for BBC4, what a great Friday night: Chopin - what's not to like? And two rock documentaries - I love BBC4s commitment to documenting our recent cultural history. But I agree that more great dramas are needed. Wolf Hall was compelling. More of this kind of thing would be welcome. But of course one way to fund great drama is to produce a range of programmes that can be sold abroad. The Masterchef format is now global, for example. And Bake Off too. The BBCs involvement in these genres elevates their quality and forces other providers to up their game too. A BBC composed entirely of 'uplifting' drama and documentaries would become a niche programmer, for which the license fee could not be justified. If we want the BBC to survive it has to appeal to younger audiences now and nurture their loyalty and affection for the BBC. That's important because of all the reasons why we need the BBC - i.e. it's still a trusted, and impartial, news provider. Though it was clearly already under pressure from the government in the recent general election.

grumppa Fri 17-Jul-15 21:43:31

And the First Night of the Proms is on BBC 2. There's licence money well spent.

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 21:00:26

I have just been watching a programme about the slave trade which I recorded on Wednesday from BBC2.
Quite awful really, but worth the licence fee. Made me pleased I haven't been to Harewood House, although I often wanted to go.

sunseeker Fri 17-Jul-15 20:13:29

Anya Depends on how busy I have been during the day - and how tired I am grin.

rosesarered Fri 17-Jul-15 19:55:01

I would pay the licence fee just for Radio 4.

Anya Fri 17-Jul-15 19:47:09

Sunseeker do you go to bed early grin

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 16:57:34

I also think that people who watch on catchup or iplayer should pay a licence fee. Just because they are not watching live does not mean that they are not partaking of the BBC's output.

However, I do agree that some are overpaid. What happened to Cameron thinking about pay differentials, like John Lewis?

Perhaps that's the next big thing, not just at the BBC, but all companies.

annodomini Fri 17-Jul-15 16:47:35

At this time of year they have always shown repeats. New shows tend to debut in September. BTW, those of you who don't watch TV but listen to BBC Radio programmes should reflect that our licence fee also pays for the entertainment and information we get from our radios. To be fair, surely people who don't watch TV but get their pleasure from the radio, should be paying a proportion of the licence fee, but I know this would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep a check on.

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 16:37:07

I am watching/listening to the House of Lords debates on Parliament TV.
They have debated EVEL.

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 16:35:32

I like the look of BBC4.

sunseeker Fri 17-Jul-15 16:30:17

BBC line up for tonight from 7.00pm to 10.00 pm:
BBC1 - The One Show, Question of Sport, Eastenders, Celebrity Masterchef, News
BBC2 - Golf (since 9.00 am), BBC Proms, Morecombe and Wise
BBC3 - Top Gear(R), Don't tell the Bride(R), Crime Carnage and Cancum (R)
BBC4 - World News, Chopin, BBC Proms, Carole King story(R), Rock & Roll America, How The Brits Rocked America (R).

Obviously I haven't included the News Channel or BBC Parliament. I have no reason to switch on CBBC or CBeebies.

Again I am not saying I want to see the end of the BBC or the licence fee, just that it needs to get back to making good dramas and programmes which stretch the intelligence of the viewer.

durhamjen Fri 17-Jul-15 14:43:04

David Attenborough.

Who can say they have never enjoyed any of his stuff?