Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dr Foster

(77 Posts)
Teetime Thu 17-Sep-15 09:12:11

Dearie Dearie me! This is dull! It seems to consist of close ups of Suranne Jones pulling faces and running her hands through her hair. She's a GP who has taken to examining patients in her car park and breaching patient confidentiality in the name of pursuing the truth of her husband's affair. Is it just me who is bored by this? I do wish she would run a comb through her hair and why are busy women always portrayed as having messy kitchens- does this show just how busy and important they are? I'll probably keep watching and moaning about it. grin

trisher Fri 09-Oct-15 16:15:33

Trouble was (apart from the far fetched stories) I didn't find any of the characters appealing. He was a wimp and an adulterer. She was a manipulative control freak who was quite happy to let dad be the one involved in son's life until she thought she might lose him. Then she was even prepared to pretend she had killed him. Girl friend was a spoilt rich kid. Thought the ending was trite and kid would turn into a very mixed-up young person once he realised what had gone on.

Maggiemaybe Fri 09-Oct-15 09:47:13

Oh yes, Elrel, "The Life and Loves of a She-Devil"! Fantastic! There was a great adaptation of it on TV in the 80s, with Julie T Wallace and Dennis Waterman.

Grandma2213 Fri 09-Oct-15 00:38:46

Hmm... Don't know why this posted twice. I didn't even have an enjoyable 'dram' either so no excuse!

Elrel Fri 09-Oct-15 00:36:58

Not sure this has ever happened before. I was somewhat lukewarm about it really until the final episode. Now it's finished I find myself telling people how good it was and that they should watch it on catch up! I used to read a lot of Fay Weldon, it felt as if she could have written the script. She was very good on the revenge of wronged wives!!

Joplin Fri 09-Oct-15 00:23:40

Found it very enjoyable as I think Suranne Jones is such a good actress & at the end of the day it doesn't have to be completely believable - although a lot of life is unbelievable.

Grandma2213 Thu 08-Oct-15 23:42:25

I enjoyed the drama, as it reflects what is happening to so many people these days (and in the past), both men and women! After all it takes two to tango as they say. I've posted before on how emotional betrayal can be but many of my ex's friends tried it on with me too (unsuccessfully) so I see it as normal behaviour. I am genuinely pleased for all of those GNers who have experienced fidelity. It does exist.

On a lighter note I use the subtitle option frequently these days and why don't they switch the lights on? So much filming seems to be in the dark so you can only see vague shadows!

Grandma2213 Thu 08-Oct-15 23:37:47

I enjoyed the dram, as it reflects what is happening to so many people today, both men and women! After all it takes two to tango as they say. I've posted before on how emotional betrayal can be but many of my ex's friends tried it on with me too (unsuccessfully) so I see it as normal behaviour. I am genuinely pleased for all of those GNers who have experienced fidelity. It does exist.

NanSue Thu 08-Oct-15 23:14:18

I loved it! Best drama I've watched in a long time. Suranne Jones played an excellent part. I do think sometimes she tends to overplay a little but that worked well for her in this particular role.
There was definitely times where the dialogue was inaudible, so thankfully we're not all going deaf!

Sued59 Thu 08-Oct-15 20:34:43

Well Jaxie I have to agree with you as I also experienced the emotional turmoil wrought by an unfaithful husband who lied through his teeth for 9 months, blamed my hormones and suggested I needed counselling for thinking he could be unfaithful. I too had to trap him and had to be cunning and clever enough to out smart him whilst trying to hold on to my sanity. So okay the storyline was far fetched in parts, but the main thread of infidelity and the impact this has was brilliantly portrayed by Suranne Jones and the husband. I found it tough to watch but for me it was an impressive portrayal.

Jaxie Thu 08-Oct-15 20:09:03

I like Dr Foster because many years ago I found myself in a very similar situation. I was absolutely determined to wreak revenge on my husband's mistress, short of murdering her. I had quite an enjoyable time about it. OK, the plot in Dr Foster is fairly implausible - but I recognise the emotions. Suranne Jones makes a very goood job of portraying the wronged wife.

tinkerbelle Thu 08-Oct-15 18:43:10

I loved it! Thought it was quite an acceptable ending too. Good acting and I didn't have to think just turn on and be entertained.

KatyK Thu 08-Oct-15 17:24:01

I thought it was brilliant. I agree re a few bits of dialogue that were inaudible but that is probably me not the actors.

Venus Thu 08-Oct-15 16:37:19

Is it just my tellie . . . or my hearing that's at fault? I couldn't make out a lot of the dialogue!

Grannydougs Thu 08-Oct-15 15:41:12

Well I thought it was amazing! As did my work colleagues. We talked about it for ages this morning - it started all sorts of discussion. Oops, better get some work done tomorrow.

PRINTMISS Thu 08-Oct-15 13:57:38

I thoroughly enjoyed the series, lovely to see at the end where she would always be a doctor. I think the son was just growing up, like sons do, and in any case seemed to be very perceptive. Unhappy story, but a good series, I think.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:54:21

Btw - subtitles!

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:54:01

(unless you care to tell us of course) smile

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:53:36

cupcake

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 13:53:21

Happy birthday Libra10. I will NOT take a guess at which big one! smileflowers [cake]

libra10 Thu 08-Oct-15 13:44:05

I thoroughly enjoyed the series; the acting was incredible, though the storyline long and drawn out.

Did anyone else find it difficult to hear (at times) what the characters were saying, or am I getting old?

It's my birthday today - a big one!

PetitFilou Thu 08-Oct-15 12:50:07

Could someone tell me please how Dr Foster knew her neighbour's wife was the one posting all the bad reviews about her? Received phone call during the hour and might have missed something. Thanks.

vickya Thu 08-Oct-15 10:46:34

I stopped after 3 episodes. I don't care what happens next.

BRedhead59 Thu 08-Oct-15 10:34:01

It was very good - well written and brilliantly acted by Dr F - not predictable

gillybob Thu 08-Oct-15 10:08:38

I agree with you about Dr Ros Maggiemaybe she was a complete backstabber. "seeing the drugs in the bag" and telling the authorities. Surely a real friend would have found out the truth before wading in. She always seemed to want to be on the "winning side".

I'm not sure about the message tanith but they did make a point of showing the content of the magazine didn't they. In which case I guess the message was, as you say, like father like son.

jinglbellsfrocks Thu 08-Oct-15 09:50:06

All she was interested in was keeping her son's life on an even keel. That was obvious all the way through. Good mother.