Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Maigret

(31 Posts)
grannylyn65 Tue 29-Mar-16 07:30:00

Any opinions thus far!
Am unsure myself, for obvious reasons!

grannylyn65 Tue 29-Mar-16 07:32:03

Sorry stupid iPhone, how do I remove one ?

LullyDully Tue 29-Mar-16 07:36:09

We really enjoyed it. It was very atmospheric. However it took some time to get Black adder out of my mind.

ninathenana Tue 29-Mar-16 08:00:38

grannylyn unfortunately there is no edit facility on GN.
Lully I wondered if he could be convincing in a dramatic roll, that face will always be Mr. Bean for mesmile but once it got going he was Maigret for me.
I look forward to the next episode

Anya Tue 29-Mar-16 08:10:00

My thoughts exactly Nina ...he's Mr Bean. But will watch on Hub tonight and hopefully he'll morph into Maigret instead.

merlotgran Tue 29-Mar-16 08:14:36

It was very well acted but I couldn't help feeling that the Maigret stories are outdated now. It dragged for me.

grannylyn65 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:38:35

Yes, for me too!

Charleygirl Tue 29-Mar-16 08:47:43

I think that he will be Mr. Bean to all of us of a certain age. I enjoyed it because I was not straining to hear the dialogue and I knew 100% what was going on. A bit outdated but I enjoyed it. Apparently there will be another 2 hour one towards the end of the year.

Jane10 Tue 29-Mar-16 08:52:04

I thought he was a bit wooden but perhaps he was supposed to be. I liked seeing the Parisian scenes with the immaculately clean cars and perfectly made up people!!

Welshwife Tue 29-Mar-16 09:10:50

I thought he was far too wooden and the way he portrayed Maigret did not fit the book character at all - he was a much kinder and gentler person - spoke in a much gentler way to victims etc. I have read many of the stories in English and one in French where he comes over as a homely quiet man reflecting on his day and talking it over with her too.
I think Rupert Davies was a far better fit for the character. Lucas was better too.
I don't think it is a series yet.

Teetime Tue 29-Mar-16 09:18:31

I dropped nicely off to sleep after ten minutes.

J52 Tue 29-Mar-16 09:27:18

Slept for the last half hour, woke up with 10 mins to spare! It didn't seem to make much difference. All very predictable!

Loved seeing the Citroen car, my dad had one in the fifties, I can still smell the leather and oil!

x

Jalima Tue 29-Mar-16 09:44:49

It took a while to stop thinking of him as Mr Bean.

Many of the actors seemed wooden (particularly Madame Maigret) but I felt that was because the script was very stilted, like a very bad translation from the French (nothing to do with the period in time).

However, it did grow on me and I did manage to stay awake until the end smile

LullyDully Tue 29-Mar-16 10:33:27

I think the woodenness was part of the staging. Sadly there are only 2 episodes , one for later in the year. It did seem to be filmed in Paris for the most part . Love old city in parts.

rosesarered Tue 29-Mar-16 10:37:11

Oh yes, Rupert Davies was the definitive Maigret, but haven't watched this as yet so must do so today.

Greyduster Tue 29-Mar-16 10:44:18

I thought all the acting was pretty poor - even, God forgive me for saying this of one of Britain's greatest classical actresses, Fiona Shaw! I wish Rowan Atkinson could get rid of that permanent "I've got a nasty smell under my nose" expression. And the hoards of clamouring journalists were a pain in the neck. Is there anything I did like about it? Erm, no! I laid awake for a bit trying to think where I had last seen the chap who played the killer. I think he was King Alfred in The Last Kingdom.

Ana Tue 29-Mar-16 10:46:15

I thought that possibly the reason Rowan Atkinson seemed so wooden was that he didn't dare show any facial expression that would remind people of Mr Bean!

Was flagging a bit towards the end...

HildaW Tue 29-Mar-16 13:00:23

The one good thing about this is that it reminded me how goo Michael Gambon was in the series made a few years ago (honest I'm too young to remember Rupert Davies - I did not have access to proper grown-up tv until I left home at 23).

Poor old Rowan was so out of his depth - daft when there are so many really good British actors who could have done a far better job.

Jalima Tue 29-Mar-16 13:11:48

The original ran from 1960-63 - I must have still been at school but remember watching it avidly.
The original Mme Maigret (Helen Shingler) is the mother of Anthony Head. Fancy that!!

nigglynellie Tue 29-Mar-16 13:25:23

Apparently it was filmed in Hungary! or so I read this morning. I too loved Rupert Davies and Michael Gambon as Maigret, and try though I did, I just didn't like R.A in the part - he just wasn't Maigret! Nor was Lucas! Of course, the murderer was King Alfred!!! Perhaps 1950's attitudes are difficult to relate to a modern audience? Maigret imo is more avuncular, and not so tight lipped and twitchy as was portrayed in last night's performance.

HildaW Tue 29-Mar-16 13:37:24

Getting a period feel is so important but so is balancing that with the expectations of a modern audience . However they do need to remember that the sort of people who will be watching such a programme are going to be a tad more mature, if not in actual years then in tastes and experiences. Plenty of TV dramas have managed to create a feeling of times past and also engage its audience. I've recently been enjoying a series on Drama that I did not ever watch at the time...the Inspector Allen series staring a wonderfully restrained yet totally believable Patrick Malahide.
ITV revamped Miss Marple with both Julia McKenzie and her predecessor and got wonderful period feel with added humour and lashings of suspense and atmosphere.

Straying a little from the subject the BBC did a thought provoking programme the other evening on its treatment of the Brontes over the years that highlights how important it is to be faithful to the original and also grasp what is important to modern audiences (and ignore some bits that just do not translate to well).

nigglynellie Tue 29-Mar-16 13:43:36

Well yes Hilda, you're right! Inspector Gently being another programme in question. I think if I'm honest, I just didn't like R.A as Maigret, simple as that!!!! I must watch the programme about the Brontes. Thank you for the comment/reminder!!

Stansgran Tue 29-Mar-16 14:01:43

I think we are used to faster pace thrillers nowadays. I loved the Rupert Davies Maigret and I had a teen crush on Lucas .

rosesarered Tue 29-Mar-16 20:18:46

Just watched it... Well, not bad really but not as good as either Rupert Davies or Michael Gambon.Surprised to see Lord Loxley in political office in Paris as well ( was expecting Mr Selfridge to pop by , but it didn't happen.)
I think it lacked the charm of the original series.

AyjayF Tue 29-Mar-16 20:25:55

I'd like to speak up for this programme. I haven't seen other Maigrets + I really liked it. I have only seen trailers of Rowan Atkinson as Bean. He was fabulous in Blackadder + is a great actor. It was a good couple of hours entertainment.