Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Dick Strawbridge - Escape to the Chateau

(60 Posts)
merlotgran Sun 05-Jun-16 21:03:47

Did anyone else watch this tonight? I'm looking forward to seeing how his wife-to-be furnishes it.

I guess he won't be voting Brexit!

JeffreyGoldblumEsquire Sat 18-Jun-16 21:20:31

Am I right in thinking the narrator is Victoria Coren-Mitchell?

Jalima Sat 18-Jun-16 21:25:27

ah, now I do like her

M0nica Sun 19-Jun-16 19:38:30

I think Angel's real name is Angela.

As the owner of a holiday house in France, which we have recently spent a lot of time and effort renovating and improving, I think this series is going to be like so many similar programmes, including several Grand Designs;

French neighbours making comments about the mad English and admiring their courage, lots of good French tradesmen made to look stupid by superior remarks by the house owner on how the French system works and their unreliability etc.

Having done up a house in France our neighbours have not thrown their arms up in amazement and our madness. There are plenty of French people a round us buying up and restoring a range of properties from small to large and we have found all the French tradesman we have employed efficient and good. Of course they have a few French indiosyncracies, usually explained by the way the French taxation and social security system works but the British tradesman is not always a model of speed and efficiency.

TriciaF Sun 19-Jun-16 19:49:25

You're right MOnica, these programmes are over-dramatised.
Did you catch how much he was paying for the setting up of the fosse septique? I would guess about 20,000€
We've found the same as you with french tradesmen. Just as proficient as some of the british tradesmen who try their luck here.

M0nica Sun 19-Jun-16 20:01:29

I accept his may be bigger than the one we put in 5 years ago to service a 4 bedroomed house, but I doubt of time and labour was anymore, just the size of the tank and filter and we only paid 8,000 euros. Ours is fully compliant with all EU/French regulations, so it was not a cut price cut corners job.

TriciaF Sun 19-Jun-16 20:28:31

We had estimates for around the same price as you, but they've got that moat to cope with, and a much bigger tank. Plus he said something about building a wall around it to separate from the moat.
It will certainly be expensive.

GandTea Sun 19-Jun-16 20:55:28

Thoroughly enjoyed the series.

shysal Mon 20-Jun-16 08:53:28

I enjoyed the series, but would have liked more episodes. I didn't notice Dick's grown up son at the wedding or helping with the renovations, I wonder whether there is a family rift following his divorce.
I used to enjoy watching Dick on Scrapheap Challenge, which used to be my favourite programme blush, he is a clever chap.
Did anyone else feel slightly repulsed when Angel kissed that moustache? grin

Lona Mon 20-Jun-16 10:37:34

Yes!! Revolting.
I agree shysal that it should have been a longer series. It would have been interesting to see how it progressed instead of just showing odd bits.

merlotgran Wed 23-Nov-16 15:21:56

There's a new series starting on Channel 4 this coming Sunday at 8pm.

Really enjoyed the last one so looking forward to it.

tiredoldwoman Wed 23-Nov-16 16:10:36

Yes, I saw it advertised and got all excited . I loved the last series - can't wait !

shysal Fri 25-Nov-16 10:19:08

Looking forward to it!

Lillie Sun 04-Dec-16 23:17:14

Mon Dieu, it's back! That bathroom wouldn't have been my choice, but I can see what she was trying to achieve.
Will that lift be safe, and if it only fits one person in it, what about your suitcases etc.? Crazy!

merlotgran Sun 04-Dec-16 23:37:58

I was crying with laughter when he proudly showed off the prototype model of the lift and demonstrated Angel going up in it. grin

Lona Mon 05-Dec-16 10:17:54

This makes my blood pressure rise!
She has him wrapped around her little finger. I can't wait to see the lift in working order and I wonder what she will think of next.
Shysal The moustache is bad enough but he could have a family of mice in that beard! How could she?
?

Lona Mon 05-Dec-16 10:18:49

I do love it though grin

TriciaF Mon 05-Dec-16 11:39:42

So do I - very entertaining, though a lot of things seem to be unexplained and unrealistic.
eg who looks after the two little children while they're doing all this work? Entertaining wedding guests etc? They must have a nanny, or several.
And how does she find the time to colour her hair, put on all that makeup, choose her clothes?

merlotgran Mon 05-Dec-16 13:43:23

I think Angel's parents are looking after the children.

DH has said right from the beginning that their biggest money spinner will be carp fishing in the moat but I do wish they'd fence it off - at least until the children are older and can swim.

Lillie Mon 05-Dec-16 14:04:51

That's a good point merlotgran. I know there's a tough law in France about fencing in swimming pools or providing a sensor alarm if you are letting rooms or holiday properties. Would have thought the same should apply to the lake.

Dick does seem to go out of his way to abide by French regulations in terms of building, electrics etc. Even the carp man came over from the UK. Surely that doesn't endear him to the locals, at least Peter Mayle (A Year in Provence) employed all French artisans.

Lillie Mon 05-Dec-16 14:06:01

not to abide by!

TriciaF Mon 05-Dec-16 15:45:06

Exactly Lillie. (endear him to the locals.)
The workers who come over from the UK will be seen by the locals as working "on the black" ie not being registered and not paying their dues in France.
He will have realised that keeping to the french regs. is more carefully checked. Especially if he ever wants to sell the place.

Luckygirl Mon 05-Dec-16 20:25:40

I have only seen this once (last night)and I thought they were both nuts, but it was lovely to see people smiling and being optimistic - there is not a lot of that in this house!

Deedaa Tue 06-Dec-16 21:57:49

I started off thinking she was very silly and irritating, but she really is very clever and has some lovely design ideas. The bathroom tiles she made were perfect.

gulligranny Thu 08-Dec-16 18:20:53

We are loving this - Dick and Angel are gloriously bonkers but very hard-working, and they have brought that lovely building back to glamorous life. And their little boy is totally adorable!

Deedaa Thu 08-Dec-16 20:34:47

It's a stunning building isn't it?