Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Secret Agent

(10 Posts)
baubles Tue 23-Aug-16 14:19:55

Anyone watching this mini series? I'm enjoying it and not just for the location spotting. It was filmed in Glaagow, great to see the City Chambers and Kelvingrove Museum appear in different guises.

Tegan Tue 23-Aug-16 14:29:17

I'm afraid I didn't enjoy it at all; didn't feel the actress who played his wife felt 'of that age'. I think I would have liked it more if I'd realised it was Glasgow.

baubles Tue 23-Aug-16 14:51:21

I admit to not giving the story my full attention Tegan, too distracted by the locations. blush

POGS Tue 23-Aug-16 15:45:24

Oh dear I found it a tad boring.

I rate Toby Jones but this was not either his nor the BBC's finest but that is only a personal opinion obviously.

I was pleased it was only a 3 parter.

Tegan Tue 23-Aug-16 15:47:54

I felt that the series had some brilliant actors but none of them seemed suited to their roles. I, too, really rate Toby Jones. I think too many series seem to have just a handful of actors in them [I seem to recall reading an article to that effect a while back].

gettingonabit Tue 23-Aug-16 16:32:47

I enjoyed it, in the end. I like Toby Jones, but I felt Vicky McClure was somehow a bit "modern" for her role. We've just watched her chasing down Dot in Line of Duty ffs!

I didn't predict the end. Didn't realise it was filmed in Glasgow.

rosesarered Tue 23-Aug-16 18:03:00

I loved, loved, loved it! Great acting, and a good plot and dialogue, very moving too.Written by Joseph Conrad btw.

Deedaa Wed 24-Aug-16 21:50:47

I watched the first part and thought it was very good. DH wasn't impressed though so we didn't see the rest. I think it needed concentration to get the best out of it.

Tegan Wed 24-Aug-16 22:04:38

Hadn't realised it was by Joseph Conrad. My MIL bought me a set of his books and I'm ashamed to say I never read them.

durhamjen Wed 24-Aug-16 22:18:50

Have you seen Heart of Darkness, Tegan? That was another of Conrad's. It was set in the Congo, but Apocalypse Now was based on it, moving it to Vietnam.
Another one you should read.