Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Interior Design Challenge - NOT great with Kelly Hoppen on it, it's not.

(94 Posts)
rubylady Thu 05-Jan-17 04:13:07

I'm sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. Two weeks now this annoying, boring, miserable woman has grated on my nerves whilst supposedly being a judge on one of my favourite programmes. If you are ONLY into taupe, how can you bloody judge anyone else for their colourfulness and creativity? She is a joke. I have never once seen her smile. On Dragons' Den she was miserable too. And the monotone claptrap that she comes out with. She just doesn't make sense on the design programme. The other judge just agrees with her, probably not understanding a word she has said but too polite to ask her what the heck she is talking about. Someone on MN said that she is the Emperors New Clothes, and I agree. No one cares for her lack of imagination but don't want to say in case they are the ones looking foolish.

On looking at her designs online, I couldn't work out if they were took in black and white or sepia as they were so bland they looked like ditchwater. Maybe an odd coloured cushion in one or two of the rooms viewed, nothing more. No personality, no character, no charm.

Other than all that, I like the woman. grin

gettingonabit Sat 07-Jan-17 14:52:40

Of course design should be fun and colourful too-if that's what's required. But i think most programmes go in for the cosmetic makeover idea a bit too much. The great thing about Kelly Hoppen's design is that it's easy to replicate, practical and simple. She has an eye for what works.
And she doesn't always use taupe either.

I DO get what you mean though. I loved the birdcage, but the designer was designing for a bachelor pad, so she was way off brief. She's never going to make a living out of indulging herself in stuff she likes to the detriment of the customer's needs, and the judges need to point this out.

I don't think Kelly's designs are fun as such, but I don't think that's what she's about.

Cherrytree59 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:08:17

Well what does the GN design team think about tonight's quarter final episode?
I personally thought the wrong designer went through to next round,

but then what do I know?hmm

J52 Tue 10-Jan-17 21:23:48

I agree Cherry , Danelle 's designs looked boring. In the bedroom she had no understanding of the vanity unit construction. A basic piece of information the cover she made covered the double socket next to the unit. The radiator cover was ??
I did like the marble wall paper.
I certainly could not have lived with the sitting room. Apart from the dreary colour, the table between the two separate chairs look like cheap Argos!

James' designs actually fulfilled the brief. Personally I would have moved the sofas, but that would be easily solved.

I have just completed a 3 year Interior design course, so maybe I'm too critical! grin

JoyBloggs Tue 10-Jan-17 21:35:50

Definitely wanted James to go through, couldn't believe he was the one who had to leave. His home-owner was over the moon with her rooms, but this didn't seem to matter to the judges.

gillybob Tue 10-Jan-17 21:37:43

I totally agree with you Cherrytree the wrong designer went through on so many levels.

I got the impression that they were going to make sure Danielle went through no matter what. The home owners (clients) didn't even like her finished room !

I agree with you J52 that The home owner loved James' design and she even said she wouldn't change a thing !

This has put me off watching as I. Am now starting to think it is totally fixed.

Moocow Tue 10-Jan-17 21:37:43

I agree cherrytree59, wrong designer went through.

J52 imo you are not being too critical.
Poor homeowner - they kept the camera focussed on the stains on the sofa and pointed it out for so long. James probably hadn't noticed it while dealing with the room and it being kept out while all the work was going on, but now everyone watching sure has!

annodomini Tue 10-Jan-17 22:41:43

Agreed 100% but I wasn't surprised because I saw Danielle as modelling herself on Kelly Hoppen. I can't understand those radiator covers. Surely the radiator under those would heat only the cover!

Cherrytree59 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:57:12

Even the designer herself didn't like the paint colour
So how did she expect her clients to
put up with it like it.

merlotgran Tue 10-Jan-17 23:13:31

I'm sure it's fixed. James' designs were easily the best. hmm

BlueBelle Wed 11-Jan-17 05:56:34

I was recently talking to someone who works in the background of the set and said you wouldn't believe how bad the rooms really are sounded like put together with sellotape and safety pins

gettingonabit Wed 11-Jan-17 08:50:53

I don't think Danielle should have gone through either. James fulfilled the brief, and the client liked it.

And Danielle's marble wallpaper looked like a giant spread-eagled vulva. Sorry to lower the tone, but I just can't unsee it....

J52 Wed 11-Jan-17 10:29:22

gettingon She should have put a Georgia O' Keeffe painting on the wall opposite! grin

suzied Wed 11-Jan-17 11:00:38

And Daniele's finishing was shoddy. I think Kelly Hoppen wants to market her throws and hates to see a sofa without one or two which is why James was eliminated. Why don't they take the clients views into account? His client loved her rooms, whereas Daniele's didn't, you know they were just going to change it the minute she' d gone. James' take on the tin can challenge was much better too.

goldengirl Wed 11-Jan-17 11:15:08

I find this programme fascinating but I wouldn't let any contestant near any of my rooms even though they desperately need a makeover! I think the home owners are very brave - but wonder if they put their rooms back to 'normal' after the tribe has left?

gillybob Wed 11-Jan-17 12:35:12

I love room design and enjoy decluttering and pottering around moving furniture as well as wallpapering, painting and moving bits n' bobs around for better effect. In addition to my own home I have "done" rooms for various other family members and I am sure I could do a better job than most of the so called "designers" on this program. When they are finished half the rooms are un-usable anyway and look half finished and shoddy at best. A ruddy great lump of painted ply wood is not a radiator cover and don't get me started on entire walls of pleated material. Gross.

gettingonabit Wed 11-Jan-17 18:47:55

The material walls were so bargain Travelodge, weren't they?

I love faffing around with my house and fancy myself as an interior designer. I'm very impressed with the poster upthread who has done a 3-year course.

Today I've painted an armchair (purple). Like the one off Interior Design Challenge a while back. smile.

Lona Wed 11-Jan-17 18:54:17

Has anyone else noticed that at the end, there are suddenly cushions and bits that we haven't seen anyone making? It used to be all about the 'designers' sewing stuff and covering furniture, but they don't seem to be hands on anymore.

gettingonabit Wed 11-Jan-17 19:32:08

That's a good point, lona. There doesn't seem to be much actual making, or painting, or covering at all. How the heck did Danielle get all those curtains done? That's a professional job. It would take aaaaages.

Lyndylou Wed 11-Jan-17 20:29:52

Totally agree James should have won. Danielle looked like she covered the sink unit with cheap plywood, surely that will look awful after it's been splashed on a few times.

whitewave Wed 11-Jan-17 20:37:26

Agree with everyone. I like the programme - what let's it down are the judges. They say ridiculous things. But if I employ a designer I would expect him/her keep exactly to my brief and introduce nothing unless they ran it past me first. I am paying I'm the boss!!!!

Lyndylou Wed 11-Jan-17 21:02:51

I loved the orange study tonight. Just right for me, not too "themed",

Cherrytree59 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:12:23

I loved the orange room
Just didn't like the dust bin lid lights
But the home owner and youngsters did.

I guess if you live in bright yellow house chances are you will like bright colours.

At least both designer s had happy clients tonight.

f77ms Wed 11-Jan-17 21:13:45

If I employed a designer I would not give an exact brief , what would be the point? . You may as well just employ Joe Bloggs and tell him exactly what to do .

Sue19 Thu 12-Jan-17 12:52:17

Amazing that KH expressed shock verbally and facially when told that the client was disappointed with Danielle's room! She had obviously already made up her mind who was going through. The whole point of interior design is that you give the client what they want - it is not about the judge's/designer's taste. And it doesn't matter if say a Japanese "themed" room includes something that is strictly speaking a Chinese idea - these are homes
- NOT show homes. Who cares? THE CLIENT!

whitewave Thu 12-Jan-17 14:27:05

Aberearan (spelling?) spent a very pleasant day there a few years ago and have an original very stylised water colour of some the houses.