Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Interior Design Challenge - NOT great with Kelly Hoppen on it, it's not.

(93 Posts)
rubylady Thu 05-Jan-17 04:13:07

I'm sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. Two weeks now this annoying, boring, miserable woman has grated on my nerves whilst supposedly being a judge on one of my favourite programmes. If you are ONLY into taupe, how can you bloody judge anyone else for their colourfulness and creativity? She is a joke. I have never once seen her smile. On Dragons' Den she was miserable too. And the monotone claptrap that she comes out with. She just doesn't make sense on the design programme. The other judge just agrees with her, probably not understanding a word she has said but too polite to ask her what the heck she is talking about. Someone on MN said that she is the Emperors New Clothes, and I agree. No one cares for her lack of imagination but don't want to say in case they are the ones looking foolish.

On looking at her designs online, I couldn't work out if they were took in black and white or sepia as they were so bland they looked like ditchwater. Maybe an odd coloured cushion in one or two of the rooms viewed, nothing more. No personality, no character, no charm.

Other than all that, I like the woman. grin

tiredoldwoman Thu 05-Jan-17 05:01:56

Ha ha , Rubylady, I don't like her at all ! Where's the other girl that did it last time ?
Kelly Hoppen's really spoiling the show for me too.

chelseababy Thu 05-Jan-17 05:29:25

I've only seen the first episode so far but also not keen on new judge. Wasn't she a guest judge near end of last series? Sophie will be back as a guest judge later. I thought some of her clothes had a terrible colour clash!

suzied Thu 05-Jan-17 07:37:36

I love this programme, but agree KH is a bit of a wet weekend. I knew she'd get rid of the woman with the birdcage light ( though that was truly bizarre), because she said she hated the idea from the start. They also don't seem to take much notice of what the client thinks. I thought the girls bedroom in the first one was lovely.

gettingonabit Thu 05-Jan-17 07:43:41

I have to disagree. I love Kelly Hoppen and her design ideas. She's phenomenally successful too. She must be doing something right!

Yes, she was a guest at the end of the last series. I don't think she has the charm of Sophie, though, and apparently their ideas clashed, not surprisingly.

The star of the show is Tom Dyckhoff, for me. I could listen to him all day....sigh...

gillybob Thu 05-Jan-17 07:50:56

Thank goodness, I thought maybe it was just me rubylady . I love that program but KH has zero personality and I agree I don't think she smiled once.

Jayanna9040 Thu 05-Jan-17 08:40:21

She doesnt do anything for me either as a designer or a judge. Love seeing what can be done with the rooms though. I wish I was a bit bolder when it comes to decorating. Oh no! I think my house is a bit Kelly Hoppen.........

Jane10 Thu 05-Jan-17 09:33:42

I enjoy this programme too but record it. I can't be bothered with the contestants 'journey' and almost always think they've made a right mess of people's rooms. I just look at the before section and fast forward to the end ones.
I think the judges must be far removed from reality. I like 'mmmm' factor not 'wow' factor in homes.

f77ms Thu 05-Jan-17 09:42:16

Kelly Hoppen seems to take herself so seriously , she could do with lightening up and SMILING occasionally ! Overinflated ego springs to mind ..

Cherrytree59 Thu 05-Jan-17 10:14:52

I have been a bit of a Kelly Hoppen design fan as I like calm interiors
And yes I agree with gettingonabit she is very successful in her own right. But...
The distraction for me is the
'orange look'
Her hair and face are the same shade!

henetha Thu 05-Jan-17 10:37:47

I don't want to criticise Kelly Hoppen personally, as I don't like it when we criticise people on here. They can't answer back, can they. And who knows what tune other people are marching to.
BUT, I completely agree about her designs. They are as dull as ditchwater and I have often wondered why people are so taken with them . She has got away with it for years, for some reason. I am so glad I'm not the only one who feels this. Dull dull dull, that sums her designs up. Give me some colour any time.

suzied Thu 05-Jan-17 11:21:19

I am sure Kelly Hoppen can take a bit of criticism, as they say she's laughing all the way to the bank. I like minimalism, so quite like some of her designs, but as a judge on this programme she comes across as a bit miserable, decides she hates peach , for example, without judging the final look.

Lona Thu 05-Jan-17 11:30:06

I love this programme but the judges do get carried away with their own sense of importance. It's all a question of personal taste.
That young man last night needs to get a wriggle on!
I love looking at the beautiful houses though.

ninathenana Thu 05-Jan-17 11:56:53

I didn't realise the series was back shock H and I love it.
When is it on please ?

annodomini Thu 05-Jan-17 12:12:43

It's when KH comes on in the opening sequence and says she expects 'perfection' that I stop taking her seriously!

BBbevan Thu 05-Jan-17 12:49:20

My DH spends all the programme waiting for KH to turn sideways, so he can comment on her large nose. He says she is nearly always photographed from the front ?

Otherwise I feel the programme is just repeating what went before. Quirky people doing quirky rooms.

rubylady Thu 05-Jan-17 12:51:53

Thank you all so much, I thought it was just me. grin

nina It has been on Tuesday and Wednesday so far this week, BBC2 I think, it's on third day tonight. Catch it on iplayer though, catch up. smile

Lona I know, he was lovely though, even though he had a photo of himself semi naked in his home, a little strange to show that. grin I thought, seeing that, that he was going to be a bit of a poser but no, he was lovely.

Cherry I agree with the hair/face combination, well, almost. If you notice and I am sure it is not my tele as everyone else seems ok, she has foundation to the end of her cheeks and round her mouth it's just skin tone. I kept looking at her and thought I had got it wrong but it has been the same both nights. The make up department need to get some beige foundation on round her mouth. grin

There is just no reason to be miserable for goodness sake. Lucy Alexander off Homes Under The Hammer is always smiling, very enthusiastic, expressive and a pleasure to watch. She deals with a disabled child every day. We all have things to worry over or deal with but it doesn't make us miserable all the time. Cheer up Kelly love.

grannypiper Thu 05-Jan-17 12:58:40

It's not just me then grin

annodomini Thu 05-Jan-17 13:09:08

Just had a look at her web site. She has a design for Trump Towers Dubai which doesn't look as minimal as she would lead us to expect. kellyhoppeninteriors.com/kelly-hoppen-couture/#foobox-44/0/1.jpg

Matthewb Thu 05-Jan-17 22:30:24

Kelly didn't like the peach ceiling as it was a bit 80's in last nights episode! Shame she didn't have a mirror infront of her as her skin tone matched. Kelly was famous in the 90's as was fake tan and taupe interiors and both I hope aren't coming back soon. Also she's hasn't any chemistry with Oliver so it's just painful to watch. Bring back the old judge please....

paddyann Fri 06-Jan-17 00:12:24

I buy her bedding range and it lovely ,good quality ,high thread count ,I wont buy any other range now.What she looks like isn't important to me

gettingonabit Fri 06-Jan-17 08:18:30

I'm still batting in Kelly's corner too! Who cares what she looks like, whether she smiles, how "charming" she is? It's a bloody competition for budding designers, and Kelly is a seriously professional hard-hitting successful designer. She knows what people want and comes across as a person who takes herself and her craft very seriously indeed.

I liked Sophie too but felt she was a bit...insubstantial?

Go Kellysmile

Jayanna9040 Fri 06-Jan-17 08:24:55

Well, it s supposed to be entertainment and presumably they actually want people to watch. I'm afraid she's just boring. The others are having to work so hard to bring some life into it that's coming over as strained too.

gettingonabit Fri 06-Jan-17 10:33:28

Well, I guess it depends what you want from a programme. I admit I take these things quite seriously..and, after all, these contestants are hoping to pursue a career in interior design, so Changing Rooms it ain't.

One thing I really like about this programme is that it IS about design. There's enough "transformation" programmes about, surely, for those who like something a bit more lightweight?

rubylady Fri 06-Jan-17 22:12:17

That doesn't mean gettingonabit that design shouldn't be fun or colourful. Otherwise we would all be designing our homes in taupe!