Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

The Great Interior Design Challenge - NOT great with Kelly Hoppen on it, it's not.

(94 Posts)
rubylady Thu 05-Jan-17 04:13:07

I'm sorry, but I have to get this off my chest. Two weeks now this annoying, boring, miserable woman has grated on my nerves whilst supposedly being a judge on one of my favourite programmes. If you are ONLY into taupe, how can you bloody judge anyone else for their colourfulness and creativity? She is a joke. I have never once seen her smile. On Dragons' Den she was miserable too. And the monotone claptrap that she comes out with. She just doesn't make sense on the design programme. The other judge just agrees with her, probably not understanding a word she has said but too polite to ask her what the heck she is talking about. Someone on MN said that she is the Emperors New Clothes, and I agree. No one cares for her lack of imagination but don't want to say in case they are the ones looking foolish.

On looking at her designs online, I couldn't work out if they were took in black and white or sepia as they were so bland they looked like ditchwater. Maybe an odd coloured cushion in one or two of the rooms viewed, nothing more. No personality, no character, no charm.

Other than all that, I like the woman. grin

gettingonabit Fri 20-Jan-17 15:12:22

Well....having slagged off Daniela for most of the series I have to confess that I think she WAS the rightful winner.

I didn't much like her work last night, but...I think there were elements of her design that showed real flair.

I thought the telly screen was a brilliant idea. And Daniela was right imho in that you DO need large items in a large room. I didn't like the colour scheme but that can be adapted.

I thought the kitchen was fab. Very, very creative. The mirror effect of those cupboards worked very well to create a sense of doubling the space. Ok, it wasn't practical, but as an idea it worked. And the concrete was divine. I think she did brilliantly to bring all those different ideas together in a very small space.

I thought the bedroom was a cop-out but I loved the dark floor (unlike everyone else on here)grin. Like Kelly said -it worked because of the white against the very dark.

I liked Oliver's look better overall, but I think that, in the end, he was a bit of a one-trick pony. He did classical/opulent brilliantly but didn't seem to have quite enough left up his sleeve. I hope he does well out of the programme, though.

I can't wait for next year and so sorry it's all oversad.

jogginggirl Fri 20-Jan-17 12:37:16

I don't really know why I watched it - and then shouted at the screen!! Let's hope it is not re-commissioned.....?

J52 Fri 20-Jan-17 11:15:39

Maybe next time the final should be a public vote. After all, interior designers would be out of work if the (well off ) paying public didn't like their work.

suzied Fri 20-Jan-17 09:52:17

Thinking about it again, each of Oliver's rooms was nicer than each of Daniela's. Can't see how she won apart from favouritism.

Kittye Fri 20-Jan-17 09:47:37

ffms you're right Oliver will get work from this. As in all reality shows the runner up does better than the winner.
It was obvious from the start Daniella was the favourite. The dark stained floor and tacky stapled light shade were terrible.
Sophie the guest judge was very enthusiastic about Oliver's rooms. I thought he was sure to win. What happened?? Oliver was far superior. What a joke of a show!

f77ms Fri 20-Jan-17 09:22:15

I loved Olivers rooms all the way through. I think he will get a lot of work from doing this competition , if I could afford it I would love to have an interior designer do my house . Kelly Hoppen has spoiled it with her miserable face , her designs are quite `safe`so don`t really know why she expects so much from others far more inventive .

grannypiper Fri 20-Jan-17 09:12:14

Daniela was always going to win, kelly wouldnt have it any other way. Danielas rooms were for a photo shoot, totally unpracticle for living in, where as Olivers were real and for living in. If daniela left my house in that state i would have a fit

Luckylegs9 Fri 20-Jan-17 07:07:17

Think the wrong person won last night. Kelly is not a likeable person, comes over as quite unmovable, she wanted Danielle to win. Thought the lack of detail and tacky finishes she couldn't hadn't a chance, but Kelly gets her way. the floor was ruined, when she thought it wasn't going to dry she just put polythene over it and carried on regardless. It will cost a lot to put that right and that fringe effort from the centre light with no beading if it were mine, would be ripped down before the cameras left, think it looked cheap and tacky.

tiredoldwoman Fri 20-Jan-17 05:13:53

Yes, I was flabbergasted when Danielle won . The rooms were awful ,the only idea I might try was the fringe light . The floor was a mess , they really wrecked that flat ! Most alarming .

annodomini Thu 19-Jan-17 22:54:21

I had a feeling that Sophie was going to back Oliver, but evidently Kelly Hoppen had her way. Right from the start she saw Daniella as a kindred spirit and got quite panicky when she thought Daniella was putting her win in jeopardy by not finishing on time. Obvious favouritism.

gillybob Thu 19-Jan-17 22:33:00

This whole thing has been one giant fix from the beginning. Danielle's sitting room looked like the back wall of a men's urinal for goodness sake and the clients didn't look in the slightest bit impressed by it. The whole thing was cold. She wrecked those lovely kitchen units to replace them with cheap crap covered in bronze sticky back plastic worthy of a spot on Blue Peter in the 70's .

For me Oliver was the only worthy winner but as I said, it was a fix and KH had already decided the winner from the beginning.

Emperors new clothes anyone?

J52 Thu 19-Jan-17 22:07:46

Wrong descision! Danielle's sitting room looked like a bathroom! The bedroom was just white with an awful fringe light fitting that was uneven at the bottom and top. The kitchen wouldn't stand up to any sort of long term use.

Oliver's rooms may not have been to everyone's taste, but he sourced vintage artefacts and finished to a reasonable standard. I loved his study room.

You could see by Kelly Hoppen's face that she disliked any praise directed at Oliver. As for the mood boards, the majority of them would have got very low marks on the course that I did.

whitewave Thu 19-Jan-17 21:16:21

Oliver would be my choice too. Thought the girls sitting room was awful. I suppose if you could afford an interior designer you would have to be sure of their style before you chose one.

merlotgran Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:33

Those earrings were a hoot.

Why on earth did Daniella ruin that lovely parquet floor in the bedroom by staining it black which didn't work at all? She left it alone in the other rooms.

suzied Thu 19-Jan-17 21:14:17

It was obvious Daniela was going to win as the judges loved her all the way through. I hated the living room with the tiles and the napoleon picture. The bedroom floor looked like it needed another coat of varnish, and I bet that mirrored door in the kitchen is a b*gger to keep clean. Mind you, I didn't like Oliver's purple bed and palm tree wallpaper either. I'm obviously not edgy enough.

Cherrytree59 Thu 19-Jan-17 21:08:16

merlot I agree.
Oliver's kitchen was lovely.
The floor in Danielle's bedroom was awful as was the finish on her light shade.
Couldn't live in her sitting room.
But as I said before what do I know.

And what about those scissor earnings??hmm

merlotgran Thu 19-Jan-17 20:59:56

Not sure I agree with the result. Loved Oliver's kitchen.

gettingonabit Thu 19-Jan-17 13:48:06

I loved everything last night except for the rather bland living room (which the owner loved...).

I too thought the best man went through last night.

Can't wait for tonight.

chelseababy Thu 19-Jan-17 07:23:56

The guest judge for the final is Sophie Robinson (former judge) . At least I've heard of her!!

suzied Wed 18-Jan-17 21:47:04

Again. I think the result was a foregone conclusion, as the judges were constantly criticising Nicholas for being "theatrical", then having a go at him for not making cushions. Both the dining rooms were too OTT for me, though I usually love blues and greys. I know who I'm hoping wins the final.

chelseababy Wed 18-Jan-17 21:26:14

I think the better man won.......won't say any more than that in case anyone doesn't want to know the result!

Lyndylou Wed 18-Jan-17 21:16:16

I'm not sure but I think that Oliver's wallpaper is Laura Ashley (present time). Summer Palace or very similar. I like it but not quite so much. It was overwhelming and I hate curtains that are extra long and "puddle" on the floor. They'd be filthy in no time.

merlotgran Wed 18-Jan-17 20:53:15

But his lounge is lovely.

merlotgran Wed 18-Jan-17 20:38:58

I don't like Oliver's dining room. Reminds me of Laura Ashley in the eighties. Too much pattern.

sprite66 Wed 18-Jan-17 18:25:34

My own grumble with this programme is the constant vacillation of the judges. One moment the home owners' views must be taken into account, next these same owners must be "challenged".There appears little equality in the weight placed on the happiness or otherwise of the home owners.Equally boundaries are pushed too far or not far enough- despite the wishes of the home owners.
Have to say I did feel for the designer coping with the miserable lady who insisted on the room featuring her rather unpleasant bed spread and then constantly changed her mind.