Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Liar

(130 Posts)
BlueBelle Mon 11-Sep-17 22:32:13

Well what do you think did he or didn't he ?

glammanana Tue 19-Sep-17 12:01:39

The Police said the liquid under the bed was insulin decanted from a cracked insulin bottle and put under the bed a long while ago and forgotten about,and when they went to dinner on the first night talk got around to his first wife and the knome she kept in the garden where she kept a spare key underneath for emergencies and he had never got around to move it.I wonder what the chap who has phoned him to tell him about her previous life has to say ?

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 20:05:10

Thanks for telling me about the insulin. Too much going on for me to keep track of!

Could they both be lying?

Shirleyw Tue 19-Sep-17 21:38:56

I never thought about the taxi driver...just thought it's either her or him ....now I shall wonder lol....rather getting into...bit silly in parts but ok....

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:08:47

Absolute rubbish

grannyticktock Tue 19-Sep-17 22:28:26

I am suspicious about the man who phoned, allegedly offering support. They should have met at a cafe or something. This man could be some sort of vigilante who's planning to attack Andrew.

maryeliza54 Tue 19-Sep-17 22:37:36

Lost rest of my post - this is why I think it's rubbish ( I liked first episode). Would she really have put it all on social media; would Tom have behaved as he did? ; would she really have broken into his house; would Andrew really arrange to meet the bloke who rang him? How can her sister and husband afford such an amazing house when she's a nurse and he just does all the cooking? And most rubbish of all, what on earth is a consultant' son doing going to a state school? ?

durhamjen Tue 19-Sep-17 22:58:32

Glad you explained. I wasn't sure if you meant the series was rubbish, or the comments.

merlotgran Tue 19-Sep-17 23:06:57

My nephew-in-law is a consultant and his son is at a state school grin

Elrel Wed 20-Sep-17 02:03:37

Her sister is an anaesthetist I thought. Ridiculous that she put her accusations onto social media and tried to carry on teaching his son. Surely she'd have been sent for by her headteacher and considered to be needing time off after that stunt.
After that stunning opening scene it's visually very dull and boring. What is Constable Tom's actual job? Looks as if he hangs about outside the police station minding the police cars!

BlueBelle Wed 20-Sep-17 06:30:40

Oh Maryeliza consultant children often go to state schools my grandkids are in school and scouts with a top consultants' kids come to think of it I was at school with
a chest consultant kids too
I do find some of these dramas start well and seem to drift off almost as if they get to complicated for the author

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Sep-17 07:32:18

Ah Elrel that explains it - they all look the same in their scrubs.. and yes still teaching his son - beyond ridiculous. Of all the doctors I know, only one ( a GP) uses the state sector. I wonder what the percentages are? Well, either way, very disappointing drama

TwiceAsNice Wed 20-Sep-17 07:39:00

I like it even though it's unbelievable in parts. I tried Rellik as they are both written by the same people but .that was so awful I gave up half way through first episode.

notnecessarilywiser Wed 20-Sep-17 08:31:51

Another one here who gave up on Rellik after the first episode!

This is more gripping and simpler to understand but I'm a bit uneasy about the outcome ... the storyline so far points to him being innocent, but this would mean they're presenting "Woman cries rape after regretting first date sex" as entertainment. On the other hand, if he did rape her why didn't his kit contain condoms as well as GHB?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Sep-17 08:55:57

I don't think the storyline points to his being innocent - what I think it is doing ( and quite well despite my criticisms) is showing that she genuinely believes she was raped ( this isn't a story about a false allegation) but that this doesn't mean she was ( or wasn't). He could genuinely believe that she consented and that her perception of saying no, stop etc were perceived by him quite differently ( but genuinely). He could also just be 'careless' about ensuring real consent. Sometimes in a case where a man is acquitted of rape, some people dive in to say the woman made a false allegation but in fact if there are two different but genuine perceptions of events, it isn't that simple. I think that's really why I'm so critical of the drama - I think there's a really good story about perceptions without putting in the other rubbish about social media and going to meet with the guy who rang up without involving the police etc etc

lemongrove Wed 20-Sep-17 09:21:21

I think that she was actually raped, in the past, and the person who did it was never charged and she wasn't believed.So, now she is reliving that event and wanting revenge, but on the wrong man.I think the consultant is innocent, but it may turn out that he helped his wife to commit suicide, or actually killed her for some reason.
I still wonder about the taxi driver that took her for the date with the consultant, and was this the same driver that came to collect the consultant from her house on the night if the alleged rape? They did ring for a taxi.?

maryeliza54 Wed 20-Sep-17 09:26:24

That's interesting - but I do believe that she believes she was raped

lemongrove Wed 20-Sep-17 09:27:55

Yes, I do too.

henetha Wed 20-Sep-17 10:46:56

I like it because it keeps me guessing. I haven't a clue who is guilty. I shall keep watching.

NotTooOld Wed 20-Sep-17 11:17:36

It looks like the consultant did it so, for that reason, I think he probably didn't. What about the sister having an affair with the ex? That must have some significance. In an earlier episode I don't think the police would have been allowed to get the consultant out of the operating theatre in order to question him, do you? Surely even the cops would have waited until the op was safely completed?

Smithy Wed 20-Sep-17 11:23:44

Missed up the first episode and tried the second but couldn't take to the main character though I usually like Joanne F.
Don't like current Dr Foster either - had enough shenanigans with my my own ex, don't want to watch anyone else's . Struggling with finding much to watch on TV at the moment.

Day6 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:24:23

I suspect the ex partner (police officer) sister, taxi driver, sister's husband, (he's too nice so he is suspect...ha ha!) and consultant's colleague. The tickets to the gig given by sis to her husband - there's a reason to get him out of the way. It's significant I expect.

I think the consultant is innocent and she genuinely believes she was raped, but wasn't.

I want to fast forward to the end now. grin

Day6 Wed 20-Sep-17 13:31:13

There is NO WAY she'd be allowed back into school to teach the son of the man she has accused of raping her.

Her public post about her rape, accusing the surgeon would have been questioned by the Head Teacher and Governors almost immediately and she'd have been asked to stay away, given the student is on the premises.

I am surprised the surgeon didn't sue for defamation of character, and that public airing of what she believed happened would seriously prejudice her case should it ever get to court. I am annoyed the police didn't strongly advise her of her stupidity.

It's all getting a bit silly. Started well but has become unnecessarily convoluted imo.

Maggiemaybe Wed 20-Sep-17 14:37:49

I haven't seen it yet, just came on here to see whether the episodes I've recorded are worth watching. But I had to comment on the question of whether a consultant's child would be in a state school. There were two in my DD1's class, and even one in mine, way back in the early 60s.

merlotgran Mon 25-Sep-17 22:03:58

Ah, so now we know!!

I'm enjoying it now it's more of a thriller.

maryeliza54 Mon 25-Sep-17 22:31:15

Oh dear - where to start?