Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Gogglebox

(43 Posts)
Auntieflo Tue 12-Sep-17 19:43:15

I have just caught up with the new series. Several of the families have new sofas, do they get them from the sponsors? Some series ago, lots of the participants had new puppies/dogs. Is there a theme, or is it mandatory to have a change. I'm sure one family is on furniture set no. three? Not that I'm counting you see. Hair do's are changing, cut short, or not coloured. Sad I know, nothing better to do, better go and finish my new sofa cushions.

merlotgran Tue 12-Sep-17 19:47:51

I do like the Michaels family's new sitting room. A vast improvement on the old one.

I hadn't thought about 'perks' from the sponsors but you could well be right.

phoenix Tue 12-Sep-17 19:49:12

I've noticed the new furnishings too, Auntieflo but I must confess to enjoying Gogglebox!

Can you imagine the discussion when the producing company went to pitch the concept? "Well, it's a programme about various people watching television"

Doesn't sound like a winner, put like that, but it seems to work!

LadyGracie Tue 12-Sep-17 19:49:51

I think they get paid quite well and yes there was a lot of new things. Furniture, hairstyles, facelifts, dieters and non dieters etc etc.
I love Gogglebox.

MissAdventure Tue 12-Sep-17 19:50:36

Absolutely loved gogglebox, but haven't really watched any of the new episodes. Sure i'll catch up with them somewhere.

GrandmaKT Tue 12-Sep-17 20:27:39

Gogglebox is my guilty trash TV viewing! I love it and DH isn't allowed to speak to me when it's on, because there are so many gems on there (He hates it and stomps in and out of the room telling me 'important' things!) As you say phoenix you can just imagine them commissioning it and thinking "we'll never get away with this..." but it works!

GrandmaKT Tue 12-Sep-17 20:31:19

Oh, and as for the sofas, yes I wondered if they had been supplied by the sponsors too - and why not? It's much easier to decide if you like them or now over a few viewings rather than a quick advert.
Hmm, but on the other hand, I wouldn't want to go down the road of American TV advertising "Morning neighbour. Come and sit down on our lovely Sofology suite" Yeuch!!

petra Tue 12-Sep-17 20:36:40

Am I the only person who thinks Mr Siddiqui is turning into a Danny LaRue lookalike, with, what looks like a mauve rinse ?

Grandma2213 Mon 18-Sep-17 02:58:02

It's one of the few programmes I can both laugh out loud and cry at. (Sorry bad grammar!!) However I have to admit I don't notice the furniture or decor and rarely the clothes they wear, though Mary's stockings/tights are fascinating.

I love the easy relationships between the contributors.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Sep-17 06:37:54

I am so unobservant I ve never noticed any of the furnishings or even clothed much I think the lady and friend in the caravan are lovely and the Siddiiqui ( no I hadn't noticed the hair) family are sweet
The two old ladies and the Naked Attraction show made me laugh out loud
I find Nutty and her husband such a strange couple she couldn't bear to watch Naked Attraction for modesty reasons but always crosses her legs without thinking what's showing I ve never seen him smile so dead pan

ninathenana Mon 18-Sep-17 07:22:45

Sorry, I fail to see the entertainment in watching a bunch of people watching TV .
I've never seen it, it just doesn't appeal.

Imperfect27 Mon 18-Sep-17 07:35:10

I struggle to understand the 'appeal' of this programme too. We have given it a go, but just found it pointless and somewhat annoying. Each to their own, I don't mean to be rude, but how this is regarded as entertaining genuinely does bemuse me.

BlueBelle Mon 18-Sep-17 07:56:21

It's just a lightweight laugh don't take it too seriously just a bit of silliness in the middle of a lot of heaviness
99% of TV is pointless at least this is pointless while giving you a smile or two
What's it's purpose Imperfect, not a lot, just a bit of 'people watching' I suppose something I often do when out and about

Eloethan Mon 18-Sep-17 08:29:42

I am very unobservant and didn't notice the changeof furniture, etc.

It's great fun.

Kim0612 Mon 18-Sep-17 09:02:50

I remember my Son telling me to watch it and I thought what's the point of watching people watching telly but I absolutely love it, it really makes me laugh and a lot of them say what you are thinking too. Love most of the people on there as well.

Jane10 Mon 18-Sep-17 09:32:11

I agree. I love it. I like the people on Gogglebox and their comments. I find their reactions very reassuring. I often find myself wincing or covering my eyes at times so it was a relief to find I'm not alone!

Juliette Mon 18-Sep-17 10:27:51

I like it too, DH not so much.
June hoovering the crumbs off Leon's jumper in the latest episode made me laugh out loud, not something that happens very often these days.

Kim0612 Mon 18-Sep-17 12:03:11

Good idea by June, also what about Naked Attraction & Mary covering her eyes, that really tickled me.

glammanana Mon 18-Sep-17 12:05:02

This has got to be my guilty pleasure for sure,some of the original cast have gone on to do other things on TV,Scarlet Moffet and Sandy appeared on Celebrity BB &Steph &Dom with their appearances on some daytime shows good on them for making a start on a career from such an easy concept

Juliette Mon 18-Sep-17 12:56:25

Giles and Mary
life.spectator.co.uk/2016/03/my-life-as-a-gogglebox-star/

petra Mon 18-Sep-17 13:30:53

Can anyone explain why they use the word 'guilty' when referring to a television programme?
If you like it what does it matter what other people think.
I can't imagine Judith Keppel defending her love of East Enders.

Grandma2213 Tue 19-Sep-17 23:08:27

Juliette Thanks for the link. If Mary really wrote this she has another career in writing (or maybe she has already!)

I just love the way Giles and Mary have such obvious affection for each other as do Leon and June and the Welsh couple. I think the way the families and friends react with each other is so much more fun to watch than the programmes they are actually viewing.

Auntieflo Wed 20-Sep-17 08:26:47

Mary writes a column in 'The Lady' magazine.

glammanana Wed 20-Sep-17 09:36:53

Petra The term "guilty" is used as a term of endearment really as this is not the type of programme which grabs my attention normally.

midgey Wed 20-Sep-17 13:36:57

Pretty sure Mary writes for the Guardian too.