Gransnet forums

TV, radio, film, Arts

Howard's End

(131 Posts)
Deedaa Mon 13-Nov-17 21:05:51

Any one watching? I nearly didn't bother but I really enjoyed the first part. It's years since I last read the book so don't remember much of the story.

lemongrove Thu 07-Dec-17 21:29:58

My DD’s loved all the Austen books, and any fim or serial as well like P and P, and also went in for Austen type speech between each other. Just like your DD’s Danni although one of them was fond of saying ( of a situation) ‘ truly, it was a f****ing nightmare’ ......Jane would not have approved!

DanniRae Thu 07-Dec-17 17:03:09

Sue I watched it with my daughters too. We were often heard to say "And your family, they are well?" or "I will conquer this".
What happy memories - We had it on video and nearly wore it out. Now we have the dvd but I have not watched it lately................maybe I am due another viewing! grin

SueDonim Thu 07-Dec-17 14:58:59

I lost count of how many times I watched the BBC P&P with my daughters. We saw it so often that they both began speaking in Austen-esque language. 'Pray, make haste, make haste!' grin

DanniRae Thu 07-Dec-17 14:09:28

OMG mrsmopp I LOVED Pride and Prejudice - the one with Colin Firth as Mr Darcy. I thought he was totally gorgeous in his fabulous outfits. I even wrote to him (sad I know!) and months later he sent a reply with a signed photo. As you can imagine I was delighted grin

mrsmopp Thu 07-Dec-17 12:53:48

Oh no! What can we watch on Sunday's now? After countryfile that is. Can always watch Pride and Prejudice DVD again.

mostlyharmless Wed 06-Dec-17 20:08:29

Well you had to think about the ending. But quite satisfying conclusion really. Brilliant acting, filming etc.
I'll miss this on a Sunday evening. We need more classic books serialised.

Jane10 Wed 06-Dec-17 17:07:48

A confusing shambles! Looked lovely but I wondered at so many coincidences and leaps forward in story.
I thought the brother and sister were annoying. I actually like Mr Wilcox. Most likely a very typical example of an Edwardian male. They made a convincingly loving couple despite the ups and downs.

Franbern Wed 06-Dec-17 16:09:58

Did want to know what became of Jacky - but suppose a black, working class woman is not worth as much as mention.
Also, Tibby, where was he at the end. And why did he always look about 16 years old?

NfkDumpling Wed 06-Dec-17 14:40:13

Oats would be my choice. All those little tassels dancing in the breeze. Romping is bound to lead to a tumble and I fear if I landed in a wild flower meadow it would be on a thistle.

nigglynellie Wed 06-Dec-17 14:37:24

Sorry, the grins went wrong!!!!

nigglynellie Wed 06-Dec-17 14:36:32

Surely not?!!!!!! [grin, grin]

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 23:13:53

Wheat, oats, barley and maize are all corn.

I don't think, 'Among the fields of wheat' would have had much of a ring to it, hence the mention of barley, which scans.

But it's the only one with awns on the end of the grain with backward facing spikes that itch like crazy.

Personally I'd rather romp around in a wildflower meadow. Well, I would if my romping days weren't over. grin

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 23:11:07

Yes, Barley is a bit sharp.

Romping in a field of leeks could be a bit smelly!
Among the fields of sheep?

No, definitely daffodils!

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 23:05:33

We romp in cornfields in England, do they romp in the heather in Scotland? Romp in shamrock in Ireland, and what in Wales ( Annie where are you?) leeks? Daffodils?
Nothing like a good romp!

Blinko Tue 05-Dec-17 19:37:16

Fields of Gold recorded amongst others by Sting and Eva Cassidy (not together). Btw, 'romp' is a word favoured by the red tops. They just love to report a bit of romping!

Greyduster Tue 05-Dec-17 19:24:53

Cornfields don’t have the same effect, merlot ?!

nigglynellie Tue 05-Dec-17 19:04:05

Howard's End and the song!

nigglynellie Tue 05-Dec-17 19:03:30

Well, I loved it, but then I'm easily pleased!

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 17:28:15

Perhaps they had a picnic rug Merlot

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 17:27:30

I love that song jalima ( Sting?)

merlotgran Tue 05-Dec-17 16:05:52

DH and I always laugh when we hear that song, Jalima

If you romped about in a field of barley you'd be itching for days. grin

SueDonim Tue 05-Dec-17 15:40:02

I don't think it was so much the gaps as the timescale that I couldn't fathom. Whether it was taking place days, weeks or months. Even looking at the scenery isn't that reliable a guide as it doesn't tell you which year things are happening in.

Even so, I did enjoy it, it's just a minor niggle.

Jalima1108 Tue 05-Dec-17 13:59:52

The field of corn ending was (sorry) corny.

You'll remember me when the west wind moves upon the fields of barley
You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky as we walk in fields of gold
So she took her love for to gaze awhile upon the fields of barley
In his arms she fell as her hair came down among the fields of gold

La la la
before the idyll changed

trisher Tue 05-Dec-17 13:22:18

I've said there are other programmes lemon I wonder why you feel every programme must comply with your rules?

DanniRae Tue 05-Dec-17 13:18:13

Sorry but I like my gaps filled in otherwise I spend my time thinking that I have missed something and that spoils my enjoyment.
I don't know what that says about me? Perhaps someone can fill in that gap...................................! Answers on a postcard please!! smile